7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Depo LED Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nighthawk7thGen is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Depo LED Tail Lights

Hey Guys!
Its my first post and I just wanted to drop in and say Hi with a very interesting question.

Well, the situation goes as this: I've got a 2001 Civic LX sedan with my tail lights tinted to match the body color (black). As anybody could imagine not much light gets through the lens and tint to the exterior of the tail light thus making things well....a little unsafe, and really irritating for the cops. They love pulling me over for it. Well....since my family has alot to do with law enforcement and stuff I get off with the usual "correctional ticket." So...get it signed by my cousin whos a cop and Im off the hook (no fine, no court dates - nothing) right? Nope. The last time I got yanked to the shoulder by the fuzz he explained and a correctional wasnt like...immunity to getting another ticket for the "equiptment in violation of the law" but rather 'Get it fixed and make a change to the lights or next time I'll get the Fixit-Ticket.

So this has compelled me...and given me an excuse to get some new tail lights. Like Xmas came early! But anyways...I dont like altezzas one bit...infact...If I could afford the tickets for my tail lights...Id keep them to be honest. But I cant...hense a change needs to be made. Now...my taste in these tail lights Ive been looking at has been biased simply because my Dad has a 2006 Accord EX and the LED tails on those are hot! Theyre bright, hense safe (the weary 14 hour haul truck drivers wont turn you into a pancake if they see these light up infront of them.). I love em...so I went searching for LED tails for my own Honda. Ive since found one Manufacturer who makes them: Depo. And Ive only found them on eBay from 2 sellers. Im almost convinced to order them tonight except for one thing...how the HELL do they connect? Right from the plugs that fit into the plastic housings that hold our bulbs into the tail lights? I mean...who knows? I cant find pictures of the backs of the units anywhere...dont know anybody WITH them in their cars (let alone anybody else with a trick 7thgener). Do I just take a look at my Dads setup in the Accord and bite the bullet and just order $150 worth of merch I know little about?

I will tell you though...I would love to go the LED route if all it take is Plug N Play...no wiring necessary...because both bulb housings (the plastic pices the twists into the tail lights) are broken and barely hold normal bulbs in (Thanks cheap LED replacement bulbs). If I dont do that I'd have to find replacement bulb housings / holders...which...i cant find those anywhere.

So somebody please Help!
It'd be soooo appreciated!

Heres the link to the LED tails:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-05...QQcmdZViewItem

I asked the same question on Honda-tech but got not-so-good- answers...if you guys could help thatd be great !
Old 11-15-2007
Registered!!

bwong13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Depo LED Tail Lights

Hi I have depo lights. I didn't have a problem connecting it. I kinda installed them at the ferry terminal in BC. If you have any problems just shoot them over I'll be more than happy to answer them. By the way, they make any black civic look much better.
Old 11-17-2007
Registered!!

JeDiHybrid is an unknown quantity at this point

do they have these in black?
Old 11-17-2007
Registered!!

No. Theyre only producing them in one color right now. If you want black, tint them, though I wouldnt Sugesst that.
Old 11-18-2007
Registered!!

Nates02EX is an unknown quantity at this point

I have them, they work great, very bright, the turn signals are amber in them and they are much brighter too, go for it, I wouldnt tint them though
Old 11-18-2007
Technical Assistant

ultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond repute

oh my god those are sexy
Old 11-19-2007
Registered!!

HShadow is an unknown quantity at this point

O.K. here is the answer you are looking for but might not like. I am Sponsored by Depo/Maxzone Lighting Corp. I have a 2001 Sedan as well. They offer L.E.D. taillights for the coupe only. The sedan taillights are not L.E.D., repeat NOT L.E.D. taillights. They do offer their lights in four different finishes as well...Chrome, GunMetal(like a shiny gray), Carbon Fiber(looks fake), and Black(flat color only). I currently have the gunmetal on my car. The lights work great and are very easy to install. If you need help just let me know and I will walk you through it no problem. I just wanted to clear things up for you and make sure you realize that the sedan taillights are not L.E.D.. The Hybred labled lights do have L.E.D. lights and will fit the Sedan no problems. However those ones are not offered in different finishes, just one finish only. I just wanted to make sure you were not confusing the Sedan lights and the Hybred lights as the same. My opinion, the performance lights shine just as bright as their L.E.D. lights. My friend has the coupe L.E.D. lights and next to each other their is no difference in brightness. The pick is yours.

Last edited by HShadow; 11-19-2007 at 09:28 PM. Reason: correct information posted
Old 11-22-2007
Registered!!

Nigel8600 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok HShadow, I don't get it?? The E-bay links specifically say LED taillights and will fit:

Honda Civic 4 door 2001-2005(all models)
Honda Hybrid 2003-2005(all models)

So you are saying these are for the hybrid.... but they will fit the regular sedans? So How do you plug the LED style tail lights?

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2007
Registered!!

Hey sorry guys forgot to post up results.

I put em in about 2 weeks ago. They BOLT and PLUG right in. Easy as cake. They have seen, in the last 2 weeks, 10 to 80 degree weather, humidity from 20% to 100%

Knowing this ^ they dont fog, crack, the lights dont fail, nothing. Theyre awesome! Great Buy!
Old 11-24-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

output shots against a wall.

park

park

brakes

brakes on ground

Old 12-05-2007
Registered!!

dragon-vtec is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone please post some photos of the rear of the car...so I can see how it looks like installed.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2007
Registered!!

JeDiHybrid is an unknown quantity at this point

man black would be tiiiiiiiiiight! i hate red tails... black and clear with of course red lights would be sick... hope they come out with those...
Old 12-23-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dragon-vtec
Someone please post some photos of the rear of the car...so I can see how it looks like installed.

Thanks

Last edited by gearbox; 12-23-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2008
Registered!!

kachunkachunk is an unknown quantity at this point

I just ordered a pair of these. Anyone got black sedan pictures to show off? If not, I will when they're installed.

Any tips or special notes on how to install them, that would be appreciated, but I figure it may be self-explanatory for now.
Old 02-06-2008
Premium Member

i had to hard wire everything, cause the pnp connectors they include were loose and not reliable. now they are solid and i dont have to worry if they are not working.
Old 02-06-2008
Registered!!

Ah, I see, but no polarity problems? I dug up some of your posts on these taillights. I can retrofit my own surefire/guaranteed connections so I too won't worry.
Old 02-06-2008
Premium Member

well just make sure you know which is + and -. i had a hard time getting everything wired because the depo lights wires arent labelled. just go slow and be aware how the stock wires are setup. buy a 12v test battery you can work with if you get lost. and you are prolly gonna want the 8thgen civic EX led top mount light, otherwise it will look weird with the tail leds coming on fast and the top filament slow. everything coming on fast = awesome
Old 02-07-2008
Registered!!

Haha, hmm. My spoiler also has a brake light bar. That thing is going to have a slight delay as well.
Old 02-07-2008
Registered!!

elianthony is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an '01 black Sedan, interested in these lights as well. I've seen them on ebay as well and was curious how they look on a black Civic Sedan. Any Nighthawk owners have pics with these they can post up?
Old 02-07-2008
Premium Member

Originally Posted by kachunkachunk
Haha, hmm. My spoiler also has a brake light bar. That thing is going to have a slight delay as well.
no it wont. all spoilers use LEDs so it should turn on fast like the tails.
Old 02-13-2008
Premium Member

heres a link to buy other than ebay

http://www.autodynamic.com/detail.as...1-4-LED-DP-RED
Old 02-15-2008
Registered!!

I'll be posting my nighthawk pictures as soon as I get a better idea of how to get these things mounted. They just arrived in the mail today, and it looks like I'll be having some fun removing my bumper and all that jazz. :|

Edit: ha ha, whee, also have to figure out power/RCA feeding. Just got my power/RCA cables for the amp+subs in the trunk.

Last edited by kachunkachunk; 02-15-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2008
Diamond Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

amp wiring is nothing more than hiding wires. just pull out carpet/interior panels and tuck em under. and WgnrRick has a nighthawk black pearle COUPE with these on them I believe. Find his thread.
Old 02-17-2008
Registered!!

Got the lights fitted, I'll have to find a good opportunity to take the pictures.
I can see what Gearbox was saying when he did his own light fittings. There's a male power plug that goes into the grey adapter/socket which plugs into your trunk cables, and it came out a bit too easily. Not something a little tape won't hold together under bumpy conditions, but even then, the chances of it coming loose are not too high anyway.

It's straightforward, but you have to take off the bumper to get at the bottom tail light brackets if you're working on a sedan. After removing two screws on each wheel well, you have two underneath the rear of the bumper, and two near the trunk under some snap-on covers.

After that, just rip off the whole bumper... takes a little force, you might snap off a few small clips. Spray on some lube that won't damage your paint if you're paranoid.

Pics forthcoming! Sorry, cramped garage and ongoing wiring work = no pictures for now.

Edit: I should mention that if your car is in a region prone to being salted a lot, you will probably have to pull off the bumper instead of reaching up from under the car with a 10mm spanner or socket. The reason is that the bolts will be heavily rusted and if you're like me, you would probably have snapped off three of the four buggers. The bumper and the lights won't need them, but it's still two less mounting points for it (lucky it's light).

Last edited by kachunkachunk; 02-17-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-17-2008
Premium Member

i took out those brackets when i installed mine. no sense even using them if three other bolts will be holding the light.
Old 02-17-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

I got led tails to and i love them lol not the ricey altezzas tho...And i was the only one on my island with them until some copy cat decived to follow my fashion....
Old 02-19-2008
Registered!!

Sorry man, but until you're designing your own tail lights, I don't think you or we can justify having that kind of mentality.

I need a digital camera or a good opportunity. These things look good on the car, I must say! Also got my subs and amp all wired up, everything's looking good. Just got to install my components and PDX component amp next.
Uh... and dynomat the crap out of this thing. It's vibrating pretty bad in the back. ha
Old 03-09-2008
Registered!!

Dirty4Door is an unknown quantity at this point

pics on black sedan?
Old 03-26-2008
Registered!!

4drcivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i want to see pics on a black sedan as well. So wait to get the tail lights off you need to take the bumper off as well?? damn that sucks. And after reading all the posts, i wasn't clear...are these LEDs plug in and good to go or they need modification and wiring required? thanks
Old 03-27-2008
Premium Member

they plug in, but their plugs are not the greatest and two of mine were loose and not getting good contact. so i hardwired directly to stock wiring. yes bumper has to come off, but dont put back those stupid brackets, just remove em so that next time you can slide the light off without removing bumper

Quick Reply: Depo LED Tail Lights