7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Time for A/C Tune Up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sf170089 is an unknown quantity at this point
Time for A/C Tune Up?

So, it seems time for an A/C Tune-up on my '01 Civic LX. After reading as many A/C threads as I could, the general consensus points to taking it to an experienced mechanic. So, I am going to set up an appointment at my local Honda dealer. I had thought about trying to do it myself, but it sounds like I can really mess things up if I do it incorrectly.

My question is not necessarily if I should take it in, but what to expect. I am a bit worried that I will take it in for the tune-up (I think I was quoted ~ $160-ish or so, which I am good with) and walk out having to pay much more to fix all the problems with it.

When I first bought the car new, the A/C blew arctic air to the point it would start to hurt my hands on the steering wheel when in direct air. The air would get very cold, very quickly, even in 100 oF CA weather. But, 15 years later, my A/C struggles. The air gets cold, but not freeze your fingers cold. It also takes MUCH longer to get there. Weather here in NC has been in the mid 90s for a while. I use only the recirculating air and it can barely keep up.

Does anyone anticipate a major repair? I figure nothing is really "broken" since the air eventually gets cool. So, I do not think I have a traditional "leak" that I have lost coolant. I know it is supposed to be a closed system, so I imagine over 15 years, the coolant just kind of decomposed and lost its effectiveness. Perhaps some diffusion or something is going on.

The service person at Honda assured me that after the tune-up (and of course any repairs that are required), the A/C will work like new. I am okay with a couple hundred on reviving my A/C, but I really do not want to drop much more on it.

Thanks all!!
Old 09-12-2016
GOT SAND?

Dooner is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Time for A/C Tune Up?

The system may need a simple recharge, or you may have a leak somewhere. I had mine done not long ago, and low & behold, I had a slow leaking Schrader valve. A/C blows nice & cold now.
Old 09-12-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I figure nothing is really "broken" since the air eventually gets cool. So, I do not think I have a traditional "leak" that I have lost coolant. I know it is supposed to be a closed system, so I imagine over 15 years, the coolant just kind of decomposed and lost its effectiveness. Perhaps some diffusion or something is going on.
The refrigerant itself does not 'break down' nor go bad in the system.
It leaks out.
ALL AC systems will eventually leak.... how rapidly they leak is another matter.
Some last for many years or even decades, others not so much.

Most slow leaks are from O rings at pipe and joint connections. Rapid leaks might be from something like stone damage to the condensor.

Since you say it does operate but just cools somewhat poorly, (barring an internal problem like the dessicant bag broke open in the drier bottle) I'd expect the system to be recharged at the least, and ask for them to add UV dye to the system so if it leaks out again soon there should hopefully be evidence of the leak (dye) left behind that can be found with a blacklight.
Old 09-13-2016
Registered!!

sf170089 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses guys. I am going to take it in for service and hopefully it works out.

I am not sure I like the sound of a broken desiccant bag, but I do like the idea of a UV Dye. That is an excellent idea. I will definitely ask for that during service.

Thanks again!!