7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cleaning shift solenoids? ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honda200192 is an unknown quantity at this point
cleaning shift solenoids? ??

My question is... iv read a lot of forums talking about cleaning the shift solenoids to fix a flare or hard shifting. And a lot of guys said it worked. . So I was wondering if anyone on here has done it to their cars and if so did it work? ? What did you use to clean the solenoid or solenoids with and did you have to drain your transmission fluid ? Cause iv got a transmission flare from 3rd gear to 4th gear and a transmission shop said all my solenoids are working just fine. So im thinking the screens on them are probably clogged up Enough to cause a flare. Im gonna attempted to clean mine but just wanted some input before I do. Thing's iv done so far( changed transmission fluid with genuine honda ATF-Z1) ( i drained and refilled 3 times just like the manual says to do) so my fluid is red and clean and other then that...my transmission shifts beautifully. Very smooth like butter..its just that darn flare.
Old 04-10-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: cleaning shift solenoids? ??

Not sure what year you have and I doubt it helps since the filter has a bypass but there is an inline filter in the cooler line. Parts dealer can usually find it and get it for you. Probably on the back side just below air filter lower box. There is some Honda youtubes on solenoid screens removing them and replacing screens and gaskets.
Old 04-10-2015
Registered!!

Its a 2001 civic ex.. what cooler line ?? I didnt think that year of civic had a transmission cooler ??
Old 04-10-2015
Registered!!

im not talking about the filter.. on the shift solenoids them selfs they have really fine screens that get blocked with sludge and clutch particles. By taking off the shift solenoids and cleaning the screens it brings back the original flow to them which in therory it will smooth out shifting UNLESS!!!!!! the shift solenoids or solenoid it self is defective. What I just wrote up is kinda a brief summary of what other forums have said. This is why im thinking iv got a shift flare.
Old 04-10-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honda200192
Its a 2001 civic ex.. what cooler line ?? I didnt think that year of civic had a transmission cooler ??
I told you the other day, ALL of these cars have a trans cooler if they have an automatic transmission. Even yours.
Old 04-11-2015
Registered!!

I was referring to the screens under the solenoids in the youtube.. There is two lines coming off the transmission that runs fwd down to bottom of radiator. The cooler is in the radiator. Hot radiator water is cooler then boiling transmission fluid?? Most all cars have this. Trucks with a heavy duty option also have an added air radiator in front of the radiator and then the AC condensor and finally the radiator.. Any way, this small exteriour transmission oil filter is in the cooler line. On the back of motor on a Civic. At the bottom just behind the radiator on a CRV See here...post 12 https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...n-shudder.html

Last edited by RIPSAW; 04-11-2015 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-11-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

^OP has a 2001, the factory did not put on an inline filter on his car.
The only way it would have one is if someone added it, or if it got a reman trans that came with an inline filter kit.
Old 04-12-2015
Registered!!

Iv seen that transmission line on the back. . Now Im curious to know if I have a filter there or not. If I do...I will definitely be replacing it. Would anyone happen to know how much those filters run?? If not I can just call the honda on monday.. but to update you guys... I pulled off my lower shift solenoid today and cleaned the screens.. but to my surprise they were not that dirty. Only one screen had some gunk in it, but I dont think it would of been enough to cause any problems. Probably next Saturday im gonna be pulling off the A/T lock up clutch solenoid right above the one I pulled of today. That one I believe has only 1 screen to clean. Too those wondering where the shift solenoid I pulled off today is located. Its location is right next to the bottom drain plug > to the right. Its easy to get off but the 2 bottom 10mm bolts have to be taken off with a open end wrench ( 10mm ) the top middle bolt can be removed with just an extension and 10mm socket.. you will lose about a quart 1/2 of transmission fluid.
Old 04-12-2015
Registered!!

Like I said above, that is not your problem since that OEM filter has a bypass. It's about $30 at the dealer. My 05 and 06 Hondas have them. Like Ezone said, just the later cars. He's the expert here. Dealer told me they do put them in line when they replace transmissions but that they come with the new transmission. I ended up getting mine at College Honda and still have the 06 Civic to put on since it's a pain. My guess is more then likely, when your transmission starts doing that, it's from wear that has already happened. Does driving it easy accelerating or when slowing down in turns slow enough for it to need an upshift and then going easy on the gas pedal giving it time to shift make it better?
Old 04-12-2015

Inline Filter for an 8th gen Civic and many other Hondas, from Majestic:
25430-plr-003 filter (atf) $27.38 $18.89

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry 2=2007&catcgry3=2DR+LX&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=ATF +PIPE

Old 04-12-2015
Registered!!

Ezone..educate me on this 8th generation (year?), guess that is the ATF fluid line heading out from transmission going to that warmer item 1 (probably gets the warm engine antifreeze fluid that is shared with heater before thermostat opens the radiator) and then goes on to radiator or is the warmer item 1 also the cooler too now?
Old 04-12-2015

8th generation (year?)
8th gen Civic 2006-11 (and several other cars use it too)

ATF warmer and cooler are one and the same, it's just a liquid-liquid heat exchanger mounted on the trans now instead of inside the radiator.

I believe you are right about the flow, it will warm the ATF sooner this way than it would if it had to wait for the thermostat to open and get the radiator hot.