7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

transmission flare/Speedometer acts weird.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honda200192 is an unknown quantity at this point
transmission flare/Speedometer acts weird.

Iv looked for threads pertaining to this problem but was not successful in finding any. So I thought id make a new one.. iv got a 2001 honda civic Ex with 145,276 miles on it. My transmission flares( not slips) flares in 3rd gear and sometimes does it in 2nd gear. Thats my first issue, my next problem is on my way to work driving on the freeway doing about 70mph my speedometer will go to zero then back to 70mph. It doesn't go all crazy just a very simple ( too zero and back) all the times I happen to be looking at my Speedometer it has done it. Now I dont know how often it does it cause I dont stare at my Speedometer the whole time Im driving. But the few occasions I have looked its done it. I have no CEL on and my D is not blinking. My question is could my problem be related to a faulty speed sensor?? Cause online the descriptions to a bad speed sensor is ( the engine revs higher just before it shifts) and (speedometer acts up) so Im naturally thinking..it must be a bad speed sensor. But then again I have no CEL to confirm it is that.
Old 04-05-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: transmission flare/Speedometer acts weird.

I'd get a scanner or scangauge so I could watch live engine operating data as the PCM sees it.

Watch the vehicle speed value and see if it still reads true when the speedometer shuts down.

And if the trans is flaring, it may be 'that time'.
Old 04-05-2015
Registered!!

[QUOTE=ezone;4682402]I'd get a scanner or scangauge so I could watch live engine operating data as the PCM sees it.

Watch the vehicle speed value and see if it still reads true when the speedometer shuts down.

But im thinking if it is my VSS that could be whats causing the flare. If its not my VSS then im gonna try cleaning the shift solenoids/ screens
Old 04-05-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

But im thinking if it is my VSS that could be whats causing the flare.
I was thinking of the quickest and easiest way to verify that the VSS is good or not. Scan data.

If the speedometer still reads accurately while this flaring happens, then I doubt it would be the cause.

Reading the data from the PCM while driving is the quickest way IMO to verify if the VSS is working or not, at the time of the speedometer failure event. Same for the flare events, if the scanner shows accurate vehicle speed then it's not the VSS.

HTH
Old 04-05-2015
Registered!!

Okay I see what you mean. I'll try it.