7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Failed Theft - 2002 - Questions about fixing ignition cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
daperwhiprsnpr is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Failed Theft - 2002 - Questions about fixing ignition cylinder

Hey everyone. To my delight, I walked out and found that someone had stuck a screwdriver in my ignition last night, I'm assuming in an attempt to steal my car. I can't get the ignition to turn at all.

My question is, does anyone know if it is possible for me to change out the ignition cylinder without being able to turn it at all? Also would I have to do something other than replace the ignition cylinder? There wasn't any other damage besides the carnage inside of the cylinder.

You can see a photo here on imgur
http://imgur.com/a/og629

I found a video that shows how to replace the cylinder on a 96 civic and it was incredibly easy. They key differences being that mine is a 7th gen, and the guy in the video was able to turn the ignition to the first spot.

Any advice or recommendations?
Old 03-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Failed Theft - 2002 - Questions about fixing ignition cylinder

I can't pull out the cylinder by itself.
I'd pull the whole lock assembly off of the steering column then take it apart on a workbench. There are two headless bolts that you unscrew using a center punch and hammer to get it off the steering column.

Then there are a couple tiny roll pins that must be removed to disassemble the cylinder.

Or carry it in to a locksmith and see if they can make it work again.

I'd do everything I can to retain use of the original keys and immobilizer and avoid having to pay to tow it to get a new set programmed.
Old 03-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts
chozobody is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Failed Theft - 2002 - Questions about fixing ignition cylinder

Originally Posted by ezone
I can't pull out the cylinder by itself.
I'd pull the whole lock assembly off of the steering column then take it apart on a workbench. There are two headless bolts that you unscrew using a center punch and hammer to get it off the steering column.

Then there are a couple tiny roll pins that must be removed to disassemble the cylinder.

Or carry it in to a locksmith and see if they can make it work again.

I'd do everything I can to retain use of the original keys and immobilizer and avoid having to pay to tow it to get a new set programmed.
It's not a super hard process to remove it either. I did it this summer with some help from ezone. IIRC, not every honda dealer will do this sort of job, but some will.