7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Broke Power Steering adjust plate mounting bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HempForPres is an unknown quantity at this point
Broke Power Steering adjust plate mounting bolt

Hi guys, I'm new here. Honestly, I'm new to car repair in general. I successfully replaced my alternator, but at the last minute as I was putting the power steering pump back in, I twisted the head off the power steering pump adjust plate mounting bolt...

It's a 10mm bolt, I know that. Can I just get any 10mm bolt (about an inch long) to replace it?

Can anyone tell me the exact size of that bolt? I checked the repair manual and it doesn't say...

2002 Civic EX
Old 02-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Broke Power Steering adjust plate mounting bolt

Originally Posted by HempForPres

It's a 10mm bolt, I know that.
then you don't know much, cause its a 6mm bolt
Old 02-13-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
then you don't know much, cause its a 6mm bolt
Wow, I hope not all the members of this forum are as rude as you are. The socket I used was a 10mm.
Old 02-13-2015
Registered!!

Any chance you could provide the other dimensions?
Old 02-13-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

It's only $1.01 at the dealer..BOLT, FLANGE (10X20) - 2002 HONDA CIVIC COUPE (957011002008) Think is a standard metric 10mm x 20 mm long . .390 diameter x 1.5pitch x .790 long. Note 1.25 is fine pitch and it could be that . If handy, I would get it form him to get correct pitch and grade..probably g5. Hardware store may not be the proper tensile. Think metric is graded a couple numbers higher for same grad ( as US English system

Last edited by RIPSAW; 02-13-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

cant you just measure the bolt length?
Old 02-13-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
cant you just measure the bolt length?
I'm at work, the bolt fell through the engine and possibly into gravel under my car. When I get home, it will be dark out. It's possible the bolt is somewhere down under my engine still.
Old 02-13-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
It's only $1.01 at the dealer..BOLT, FLANGE (10X20) - 2002 HONDA CIVIC COUPE (957011002008) Think is a standard metric 10mm x 20 mm long . .390 diameter x 1.5pitch x .790 long. Note 1.25 is fine pitch and it could be that . If handy, I would get it form him to get correct pitch and grade..probably g5. Hardware store may not be the proper tensile. Think metric is graded a couple numbers higher for same grad ( as US English system
Thanks, but I have to have my brother drive me, and the closest place is an Advance Auto. So, I can't get to a dealer. Plus they'd probably be closed by the time I could get there (Around 6 PM)
Old 02-13-2015
Registered!!

Get the 10mm x 20 mm long . .390 diameter x 1.5pitch x .790 long. You can always take it back. Be sure to check by placing it on top of the other bolt to make sure # of threads is correct. Is a part of it still in hole?
Old 02-13-2015
Registered!!

Get the 10mm x 20 mm long . .390 diameter x 1.5pitch x .790 long. You can always take it back. Be sure to check by placing it on top of the other bolt to make sure # of threads is correct. Is a part of it still in hole?

It was, but I was able to remove it with a pair of pliers. I then angrily spiked it on the ground. So, who knows where it is now. Stupid, I realize. I may be able to find it.

Mikey1 is definitely correct, it's not a 10mm bolt, I looked up bolt measurements and I now realize that the *head* is 10mm, but the threads are probably 6mm (I didn't measure them).

Here's the exact part I need (labeled A). Note that the part that the top that looks like a flange is actually two washers (one locking washer, I think, and the other regular):

Thanks for your help everyone, I'm a computer programmer, so this is alien territory for me. I can build you a PC, but I am brand new to car engines, though I did work on dirt bikes growing up.
Old 02-13-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by HempForPres
It was, but I was able to remove it with a pair of pliers. I then angrily spiked it on the ground. So, who knows where it is now. Stupid, I realize. I may be able to find it.

Mikey1 is definitely correct, it's not a 10mm bolt, I looked up bolt measurements and I now realize that the *head* is 10mm, but the threads are probably 6mm (I didn't measure them).

Here's the exact part I need (labeled A). Note that the part that the top that looks like a flange is actually two washers (one locking washer, I think, and the other regular):

Thanks for your help everyone, I'm a computer programmer, so this is alien territory for me. I can build you a PC, but I am brand new to car engines, though I did work on dirt bikes growing up.
any 6mm bolt should work there as long as its not too long,

if you are in desperate need to get your car running without going to a shop, you could probably steal a bolt from somewhere else on the car temporarily till you buy another one,

that plate is only nessessary to tension the belt until you torque down the power steering pump bolts, after that it really does nothing,
Old 02-13-2015
Registered!!

Sorry Hemp, had a senior moment. I when to the alternator bracket...all above I said is wrong
Old 02-13-2015
Registered!!

Hey guys just checking back in, Mikey1 was absolutely correct, it was a 6mm bolt. Didn't really matter the length, but I grabbed 3 different ones from Advance, and ended up using a 25mm length.

Thanks everyone! My car is running great! Feels good to have done it for myself.
Old 02-13-2015
Registered!!

Sorry Hemp, had a senior moment. I when to the alternator bracket...all above I said is wrong
No worries, I was able to figure it out! I looked up the part you mentioned and could see it wasn't the same bolt.
Old 02-14-2015
Registered!!

Glad you go it fixed..It is a good filling when you do. I need to quit speed reading. I went alternator bracket broken bolt...gee... Good old Mikey came thru..did you know he was the famous kid on the cereal commercial?