7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

aftermarket replacement rearview mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
h4ldol is an unknown quantity at this point
Question aftermarket replacement rearview mirror?

Anyone know of an aftermarket rearview mirror that can replace the stock mirror (although, I don't know if you can simply pop off the stock mirror and replace it)? I would like one that ideally does auto dimming and has a compass. Universal garage door opener not necessary.
Old 01-21-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: aftermarket replacement rearview mirror?

I have a OE Honda compass mirror that's labeled Magna-Donnelly in front of me. IDK if they are still used now....A couple we just checked here aren't labeled.

Toyota uses some Gentex mirrors as OE.

Google it. Amazon it. See what they have that can fit your application.
Old 01-22-2015
Registered!!

Redneck_cdn will become famous soon enough

look on Flea bay, you can get replacement mirrors with built in GPS and backup camera monitor and/or auto dimming.

...but wait,,, that's not all?

FYI

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/auto-dimming-...f1f6cd&vxp=mtr
Old 01-22-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h4ldol
I would like one that ideally does auto dimming and has a compass.
I'm installing one in a 2015 Civic Coupe right now.

EDIT: Erased wrong part number

Last edited by ezone; 01-22-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
thetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of light

That part number comes up as Interior Illumination - Blue.

You sure you got the right kit?
Old 01-22-2015

Originally Posted by thetut
That part number comes up as Interior Illumination - Blue.

You sure you got the right kit?
Damn, that's what I get for being in a hurry. I put that in the same car too.

There's choices of mirrors and harness kits depending on what the car is.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...arch=&ListAll=
Old 02-10-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I have a OE Honda compass mirror that's labeled Magna-Donnelly in front of me. IDK if they are still used now....A couple we just checked here aren't labeled.

Toyota uses some Gentex mirrors as OE.
Thanks everyone. I am thinking of a Gentex mirror actually, has autodim and a compass and autoanything.com says it's compatible with EM2s. Only thing is, where/how do you hook up the wiring for power? I heard you can splice into the wiring for the power moonroof which would make the wiring a lot easier, but I have no idea how to do that. Or rather, I feel comfortable with splicing wires, soldering (if absolutely needed as my soldering skills are very rudimentary), tapping fuses, etc., but need some directions as to which wires to splice, etc.

Anyone who's done this have any info to share?
Old 02-10-2015

OE kits are plug-and-play, just follow the instructions for harness routing and connecting.

Aftermarket? I'd HOPE it would come with instructions.

I expect you'd need a ground, a power source that's hot with the key in the run position ..... (each car is different, get a good wire diagram and a voltmeter).

And possibly an input for when you are in reverse so the autodim mirror lightens up in reverse, the OE setup uses this.
Old 02-10-2015
Registered!!

OE kits are plug-and-play, just follow the instructions for harness routing and connecting.

Aftermarket? I'd HOPE it would come with instructions.

I expect you'd need a ground, a power source that's hot with the key in the run position ..... (each car is different, get a good wire diagram and a voltmeter).

And possibly an input for when you are in reverse so the autodim mirror lightens up in reverse, the OE setup uses this.
I downloaded the service manual and so I will try at some point to find the wiring schematic to see if I can find a harness for the sunroof (or the dome lights) to splice into to power the mirror. Probably the dome light will be easier, and it is closer to the windshield I would guess. Not sure the mirror is worth the cost and effort, although it's more for the sake of upgrading than really needing the upgrade.
Old 02-10-2015

Dome and map lights don't have the correct power source.
You need a power that is keyed, not constant.

You have a 7th gen? You aren't going to find sunroof wiring near the map lights. The motor and relays are in the rear of the roof.

I think you would have to tap into the harness that runs up the drivers A pillar.... and if you go that far you may as well just run your wires on down to the fuse box.

The genuine accessory mirror kit wiring on most of the cars just tucks up in the edge of the headliner and runs down the A pillar trim to the dash.
Old 02-10-2015
Registered!!

Dome and map lights don't have the correct power source.
You need a power that is keyed, not constant.

You have a 7th gen? You aren't going to find sunroof wiring near the map lights. The motor and relays are in the rear of the roof.

I think you would have to tap into the harness that runs up the drivers A pillar.... and if you go that far you may as well just run your wires on down to the fuse box.

The genuine accessory mirror kit wiring on most of the cars just tucks up in the edge of the headliner and runs down the A pillar trim to the dash.
Thank you! I realized later that the dome light power wire would indeed not be the right type, but your suggestion of running the wires along the headliner and down the A pillar is probably the right idea. I only want to try it if the wires will be easy to tuck into the headliner (I've never messed with the headliner in any car) so I guess I'll have to actually play around with the headliner a bit to see if it's doable for me.

If it's relatively easy to do, it would be pretty nice to have a nice autodimming mirror installed, and I always like the compass feature even though not particularly useful with GPS nowadays. I'll report back if I decide to go ahead and try it.
Old 02-11-2015

if the wires will be easy to tuck into the headliner (I've never messed with the headliner in any car) so I guess I'll have to actually play around with the headliner a bit to see if it's doable for me.

If it's relatively easy to do,
Check some install instructions for how to stuff wires along the headliner.

Something like this:
Remove A pillar trim.
Move the sunvisor. Remove if necessary. (I usually don't need to)
Undo the visor clip if necessary. (I usually don't need to)
Remove the map light set if necessary. (I usually don't need to)
Reach your fingernails under the edge of the headliner and pull down far enough to stuff a wire in the crack.
You should notice a wide area of the headliner will move as the entire thing is a large fiberboard panel.

The kits I use come with thin foam sticky pads, I slice a couple and wrap a single layer about every 4 inches along the harness so it's less apt to come untucked later on.

Pull, tuck and stuff wires until routed and hidden.
Zip tie new wires alongside the existing harness along the pillar area.

Wire it up as necessary and make sure it works
Reassemble lights, visor clip and pillar trim, etc.

When you order your new mirror, you need to make sure it is going to fit on the glass mount tab you have as there are at least 2 different designs Honda uses, maybe more.
Old 02-11-2015
Registered!!

Check some install instructions for how to stuff wires along the headliner.

Something like this:
Remove A pillar trim.
Move the sunvisor. Remove if necessary. (I usually don't need to)
Undo the visor clip if necessary. (I usually don't need to)
Remove the map light set if necessary. (I usually don't need to)
Reach your fingernails under the edge of the headliner and pull down far enough to stuff a wire in the crack.
You should notice a wide area of the headliner will move as the entire thing is a large fiberboard panel.

The kits I use come with thin foam sticky pads, I slice a couple and wrap a single layer about every 4 inches along the harness so it's less apt to come untucked later on.

Pull, tuck and stuff wires until routed and hidden.
Zip tie new wires alongside the existing harness along the pillar area.

Wire it up as necessary and make sure it works
Reassemble lights, visor clip and pillar trim, etc.

When you order your new mirror, you need to make sure it is going to fit on the glass mount tab you have as there are at least 2 different designs Honda uses, maybe more.
Wow, thanks for the detailed info! I was looking at the headliner this morning and it seems like it will be rather easy to slip a cable underneath/inside the headliner as there is a little bit of space where it meets the windshield that allows you to pull it down fairly easily. My mirror in my 02 EM2 actually is attached to the inside roof and not the windshield, so I'm planning to glue on a wedge mount to the windshield. If you take out the stock mirror there is a handly little hole that gives access -- I think and hope -- to the inside of the headliner so you could probably pass a cable all the way down to the A-pillar.

The only thing is the A-pillar doesn't look that easy to remove. Or rather, it's probably not hard if you use a plastic trim remover tool but there is a bit of rubberish material that runs along the posterior part of the pillar that looks like would get a bit "loose" if you stretch it to remove the A-pillar, so that when you put it back on it will no longer sit "flush" next to the pillar but be a little warped and floppy.

But more than that, I'm not sure how to remove the plastic panels below the A-pillar (and next to the door jamb area) that the cable will have to travel behind in order to get to the fuse box area. Guess I'll take a look at the service manual to see if it shows how.

edit: found this on another site:

The A pillar merely bends back from the windshield, and the two clips pop right out.
So it sounds like it should be easy to remove.

Don't know if it's okay to link another site, but I found a site that shows how to remove all those trim pieces to run wire from the mirror area down to the fuse box.

http://www.civic-eg.com/causeforalar...ivic/index.php

Last edited by h4ldol; 02-11-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-11-2015

rubberish material that runs along the posterior part of the pillar that looks like would get a bit "loose" if you stretch it to remove the A-pillar,
The seal that runs all the way around the door opening (door welt seam, or some such), just pull it. It is pushed on over a straight rib, it will pull off with a little effort.

I'm not sure how to remove the plastic panels below the A-pillar (and next to the door jamb area) that the cable will have to travel behind in order to get to the fuse box area.
After that seal is out of the way you can stuff the wires in the gap around the end of the dash until they reach the underside.
Or stuff em through anyplace convenient.

Oh.....Now I see:
Don't know if it's okay to link another site, but I found a site that shows how to remove all those trim pieces to run wire from the mirror area down to the fuse box.
Yeah, like that.

Stuffing/hiding/tucking wires is fairly easy in the interior.
Old 02-11-2015
Registered!!

The seal that runs all the way around the door opening (door welt seam, or some such), just pull it. It is pushed on over a straight rib, it will pull off with a little effort.
After that seal is out of the way you can stuff the wires in the gap around the end of the dash until they reach the underside.
Or stuff em through anyplace convenient.

Oh.....Now I see:
Yeah, like that.

Stuffing/hiding/tucking wires is fairly easy in the interior.
I took off the A-pillar during lunch and it was, indeed, very easy to remove. It looks like it should be easy to route the wire from the mirror through the headliner, down the A-pillar, exposed only briefly near the door jamb, and then going under the trim to the fuse box. Then I'll probably use a fuse tap to connect the mirror power wire to a switched power source (cigarette lighter?). I already ordered the mirror but it probably won't come until next week at the earliest.