7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

New 04 Honda Civic LX owner.. Need guidance

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chgofirefighter is an unknown quantity at this point
New 04 Honda Civic LX owner.. Need guidance

Hello guys, I have to admit that I have never been an owner of a Japanese car but after careful reviews, and the need to have a daily commuter, winter driver car I decided to buy me one. Instead of plunking down $3000 on winter tires/wheels for my BMW 1 Series 135I I instead purchased a preowned well equipped LX model stick shift of course. I am keeping my other car in winter storage, the car has no mechanical issues, however, I do not know how well the car was taken care off. I purchased the car from an auto auction for $3000, 2 previouw owners, no accidents, etc, pretty clean in fact immaculate condition but with ONLY 180K miles!!! I immediately took it to Honda to get it inspected and have the oil changed, I was going to change it myself but if Honda only is going to charge me $19.95 then why not? The mechanic told me that the oil was extremely black/dirty and it seem like the oil hasnt been changed in a while, also that the power steering fluid was green in color, that needs to be changed ASAP the radiator needs to be flushed out, brake fluid done, and flush out the trans oil and replace it with new oil. Also have the fuel injectors cleaned, rail service cleaned, etc. Of course all for a nice HEFTY FEE! totalling almost $1,050!

Brake Fluid service $139.95
Trans Fluid Exchange $179.95
Engine Tune up $229.95
Fuel Injection cleaning-rail service $179.95
Coolant Fluid Exchange $138.95

Before taking the car to Honda I used some Gunk motor medic to clean out the engine, grant it the the stealership is only a few blocks away from where I live. Now I love to work on cars and I have plenty of tools, power tools, etc but sadly enough I don't have a heated garage. Also, I don't know if the timing belt/water pump is due for replacement? If so, what is the recommended interval? I decided to take the car to Pep Poys and have them do all the above, except the trany flush for only $235 minus 15% discount. Now, the car suspension is good, pretty solid, engine power is just ok, but I can't complain is good enough for a daily driver/winter commuter but personally I just don't want to be stranded and that is why I am taking the precautionary route to do the proper maintenance. In regards to getting a lil bit more engine performance from this 4 cylinder car, what can be done? Should I consider purchasing a K&N filter? So for the Honda Civic experts, please chime in and direct me in the proper direction. I wanted to say that for a car that has 180k miles, she runs pretty good, handles pretty good too but of course maintenance is needed... Thanks in advance and sorry for the long dreaded thread!
Old 12-09-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New 04 Honda Civic LX owner.. Need guidance

The timing belt interval is 110k miles, and this IS an interference type motor.
Use Honda MTF fluid.
Old 12-09-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
The timing belt interval is 110k miles, and this IS an interference type motor.
Use Honda MTF fluid.
I am sorry, what is an "Interference type motor?"
Old 12-09-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

it means if your timing belt snaps or jumps your going to need a new engine. you don't have a ''heated'' garage poor you i just replaced my rotors,pads and brake fluid in my driveway in the rain.
Old 12-09-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

At 180k it would almost be due for it's 2nd. And certainly would go all out with seals, water pump, tensioner etc. Get OEM.
Old 12-09-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Brake Fluid service $139.95
Trans Fluid Exchange $179.95
Engine Tune up $229.95
Fuel Injection cleaning-rail service $179.95
Coolant Fluid Exchange $138.95

Yes but not critical. Book says every 3 years. Wait til spring and DIY it.

Yes but not critical. Simple drain and fill. That price is too damn high for 2 quarts of MTF. If no issues, just wait til spring and DIY it.

Every 100k. Pull the plugs out, how do they look?

Hell no.

Coolant will be replaced when the water pump is replaced -- during the timing belt maintenance (hint hint).
Old 12-09-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
it means if your timing belt snaps or jumps your going to need a new engine. you don't have a ''heated'' garage poor you i just replaced my rotors,pads and brake fluid in my driveway in the rain.

Yup poor me, I just did my own tune up, detailed the car, clean the engine "OUTSIDE TOO!"