7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pulley will not spin, serpentine belt

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reapertgr is an unknown quantity at this point
Pulley will not spin, serpentine belt

So I recently to replace my transmission and finally was able to drive it yesterday, when my car almost died on the way home I realized my serpentine belt was missing. So replaced and started it up to find my ac compressor pulley (which im sure is the next belt loop under the alternator?) not spinning and making the belt smoke and squeal loudly... Due to a previous wreck I do not have an ac compressor hooked up, so i keep my ac control set to off. Read about some kind of clutch control that may cause this to happen. What can I do to make this pulley spin again?
Old 10-08-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pulley will not spin, serpentine belt

7th gen?
Just buy a belt for a DX without AC.
Old 10-09-2014
Registered!!

reapertgr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
7th gen?
Just buy a belt for a DX without AC.
yes 7th gen, i have a belt on her now buts its being dragged around the ac compressor pulley. Are you implying that i buy a smaller belt and route it from the crankshaft to the alternator? with no ac compressor on the car, if i turned the ac control to 1 would that help make it spin maybe?
Old 10-09-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by reapertgr
yes 7th gen, i have a belt on her now buts its being dragged around the ac compressor pulley. Are you implying that i buy a smaller belt and route it from the crankshaft to the alternator? with no ac compressor on the car, if i turned the ac control to 1 would that help make it spin maybe?
the shorter belt ezone suggested bypasses the a/c pulley, it only goes around the crank pulley and the alternator pulley
Old 10-09-2014
Registered!!

mike12255 is an unknown quantity at this point

Same issue here, 7th gen ex with ac.

Took both belts off to do some work (not related to any of the pulleys) everything was working and spinning when I took them off put the serpentine belt on and only my crank is spinning not the a/c compressor or the alternator pulley what the hell happened?
Old 10-09-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reapertgr
yes 7th gen, i have a belt on her now buts its being dragged around the ac compressor pulley. Are you implying that i buy a smaller belt and route it from the crankshaft to the alternator?
Originally Posted by mikey1
the shorter belt ezone suggested bypasses the a/c pulley, it only goes around the crank pulley and the alternator pulley
^What he said.^

with no ac compressor on the car, if i turned the ac control to 1 would that help make it spin maybe?
Huh? No. You said the pulley is locked up.
Originally Posted by mike12255

Took both belts off to do some work (not related to any of the pulleys) everything was working and spinning when I took them off put the serpentine belt on and only my crank is spinning not the a/c compressor or the alternator pulley what the hell happened?
Remove the belt again, check each pulley.
Old 10-09-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mike12255

is the belt spinning with the crank pulley?

or is the belt standing still?

is the belt tight enough?