7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

TPS Related Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lawrencem2 is an unknown quantity at this point
TPS Related Issue

In June, my car started exhibiting signs of the TPS going bad. The car would be jerky with bad shift points and wouldn't even shift out of 1st gear until 4000rpm. The check engine light came on and the code popped up as TPS. However, the warning light disappeared and the problem seemed to cure itself until about last week when the same symptoms happened.

I replaced the throttle body with a brand new OEM one and did the idle learn procedure. However, the problem has not been solved. The check engine light is still on, the car still drives rough, and is idling high at around 1200rpm.

Any ideas on other secondary problems or procedures I need to do? I assume this is still an electronic problem based on the fact that the car was normal for 2 months between.
Old 09-04-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TPS Related Issue

What car is this? Year, model, body style, trans, trim, country, hat size, date of birth, name of first born son, etc.
(Post that info whenever you make a thread please, I hate trying to hunt through old threads and such.)

What code(s) did it set?
What did the freeze frame data tell the TPS value was at the time the code set?

I'd use a scanner that reads live engine data, watch the value for TPS. What does it say? Wiggle the wiring, does the data change?

Look for broken wires, loose terminal tension, etc.
Old 09-05-2014
Registered!!

Sorry it's a 2002 civic ex with 85K miles on it. I brought it to oreilly for those free scans and got code P0120. I have not tried the full engine monitoring. Is there any way I can do that without bringing it to a shop?
Old 09-05-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lawrencem2
Sorry it's a 2002 civic ex with 85K miles on it. I brought it to oreilly for those free scans and got code P0120.
P0120 did not come up as a valid code for that car. Try again?

I have not tried the full engine monitoring. Is there any way I can do that without bringing it to a shop?
DVOM?
Old 09-05-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
p0120 did not come up as a valid code for that car. Try again?
*p0122
Old 09-05-2014

Originally Posted by lawrencem2
*p0122
TPS voltage low.

The computer had to detect TPS output voltage of 0.23v or less for at least 2 seconds in order to set this code. (This is why I like to be able to see live computer data.)

Example of wiring issues:
If the sensor lost the 5v line that could cause the code.

Unplugging it might set the same code, same if the signal return line was open (not positive about that though, depends on if the PCM applies a 5v bias to the signal line or not).