7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2001 Civic LX roof lining coming loose

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chibitulsmecher is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Civic LX roof lining coming loose

hello, I am new here. I have a 2001 Civic LX that I bought new. The roof fabric is coming loose in the back, it is hanging about 1-2" in the back, and I can see is coming loose about 1-2 feet (you see air pockets under the fabric).

Also the fabric on the doors is not glued very well, it has been loose on the edges for years now. Still, it does not bother me as much as the roof.

I saw several civics in my area with the same issues, I believe Honda used poor quality adhesive back in 2001. Is it expensive to fix? DIY? any tips?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 Civic LX roof lining coming loose

There's a thin layer of foam rubber between the fiberboard structure of the headliner (the panel) and the fabric layer you can see.
I think the foam is slowly deteriorating, letting the fabric droop as the foam disintegrates.

On my old GMs I used to use bunches of straight pins to hold the fabric up. They slowly came out when I had the windows down though.
I've seen all sorts of creative things done to hold up sagging headliners over the years.
Old 09-03-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Search youtube for headliner replacement Honda Civic. Its pretty easy. Go to local craft store and get your choice of headliner fabric and spray contact adhesive. Remove headliner, clean old foam and fabric off. Apply new. Cost me $42 in fabric and glue and about 4 hours of time.
Old 09-04-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

or this if your lazy and cheap
Amazon.com: Heads Up HU850 Saggy Stoppers Fasteners: Automotive Amazon.com: Heads Up HU850 Saggy Stoppers Fasteners: Automotive
Old 09-04-2014
Registered!!

Red_Chaos1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine was doing the same, I went and bought a can of spray adhesive and tried to fix it, it lasted maybe a month before the foam shed the fabric back off again, so I just took a razor and cut off the affected part. It's bubbling on the drivers side about mid door, and peeling away at the front too. At some point I plan to redo the headliner, may pay someone to do it well and re-install it myself.
Old 09-09-2015
Registered!!

Sttalion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bsmiley
Search youtube for headliner replacement Honda Civic. Its pretty easy. Go to local craft store and get your choice of headliner fabric and spray contact adhesive. Remove headliner, clean old foam and fabric off. Apply new. Cost me $42 in fabric and glue and about 4 hours of time.
Hello...I m in Toronto Canada...Could u tell me where can i get the headliner fabric??
Old 09-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
thetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of light

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=headliner+fabric+toronto
Old 09-10-2015
Registered!!

Sttalion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thetut

They are selling in yards(QTY).How many yards i need for my honda civic 2001??