7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2002 Honda Civic EX Transmission Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bulls2030 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Honda Civic EX Transmission Advice

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to get some transmission advice.
I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX Automatic which I bought not realizing the transmission slipping. I love the car and everything is in great shape but when the transmission is cold, it slips from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th.
I am thinking about getting it rebuilt, but I wanted to know what kind of rebuilt is the most successful. I don't have much money to keep spending on a transmission.
Someone is offering me the following in the rebuild:
Rebuilt torque converter, new clutches/steels, and seals along with a shift correction kit.

Would this kind of rebuild be good in the long run?
I appreciate anyone's advice.
Old 07-09-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2002 Honda Civic EX Transmission Advice

My first choice would be......
Factory reman -- backed by warranty -- good at any Honda dealer in the nation (if installed by a dealer).
Old 07-10-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

The problem with trying to rebuild a Honda auto, is that they aren't anything like any other manufacturer's automatics... more like a manual with a bunch of clutch packs added and controlled with a valve body. Unless this shop deals specifically with Honda autos only, it's a crapshoot. Spend money now, or spend it later with a few strandings at the worst possible time in there, to drive the point home. :P

If I were to replace a Honda auto (if I owned an Odyssey or any Honda auto, neither of which will happen anytime soon), it'd be with a factory one.
Old 07-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bulls2030 is an unknown quantity at this point

So your saying that its not worth it? Its a general transmission shop

Originally Posted by kinakoes2
The problem with trying to rebuild a Honda auto, is that they aren't anything like any other manufacturer's automatics... more like a manual with a bunch of clutch packs added and controlled with a valve body. Unless this shop deals specifically with Honda autos only, it's a crapshoot. Spend money now, or spend it later with a few strandings at the worst possible time in there, to drive the point home. :P

If I were to replace a Honda auto (if I owned an Odyssey or any Honda auto, neither of which will happen anytime soon), it'd be with a factory one.
Old 07-10-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bulls2030
Its a general transmission shop
It's not a general transmission.

Hondas' transmissions are quite unique in the automotive world.