7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

New 2005 Civic Owner here! Stop in and school me a little!

Old 01-18-2013
Just looking to save some MPG!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PhillyTurboSix is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up New 2005 Civic Owner here! Stop in and school me a little!

Just wanted to say great site here with some great information! I've been poking around and reading on these cars for the last few months. Not new to Honda as it all started when my pops purchased a brand new 1988 Honda Accord. I learned to drive on that one and quickly liked how the Honda handled and my pops not having one issue during ownership. I think he sold it with about 65K on it for a new truck.

Fast forward I picked up a 1997 Accord several years back with just over 100K on it and run that till yesterday. While the 97 is still running strong.. I passed it onto my son for college.

So I picked up a really clean 2005 Civic EX. I literally turned 100K as I was test driving it. Smooth, Quiet, felt great. An woman in her 50's bough the car brand new in 05 and took it to the local dealer for all the service work. Super clean car inside and out. Could use tires in the near future but other then that the car is all stock and tip top shape. I got it for a great price as well. I've been watching them for the last several months and they hold tight to their value.

Also the car has the small rear spoiler like the Hybrd would. I didn't see that on the window sticker. The story I was told is the lady liked the look of the spoiler and had it added? Dealer? Just curious.

So I'll be reading the manual in the days to come but I'm looking at what preventive maintenance the new 05 will need going forward. It seems around this mileage the timing belt is due. I've also noticed some have had the CV boots/joints replaced. I got the owner down on the price because the timing belt service was not done yet. I told them it would be a 500 to 700 dollar job and he came down that plus some on the asking price. I'd like to drive it a bit and get use to it before I take it in for the timing belt service. Just how long do I have to have the timing belt service done? Also what other issues should I look for? She told me some sensors have been replaced in her ownership but other then that it's been good. I'll be using it for work car and running around the neighborhood. I can't wait to get behind the wheel and add some miles to it. Honda really does build some great cars.

So anything you guys and gals can add as far as what to expect going forward would be great. I picked the 05 because it was the last year for that body style and I like it a lot. And usually when they change a body style they do it just when they have it right from the start of that body style.

One thing I would like to add is factory style/location fog lights. I do run into some fog on my commute. Is the harness there for them? Is it a plug and play deal? I see some kits on eBay are those good? Where is a good place to buy something like that. Where would the switch mount in the car? Other then fog lights, some window tint, and changing the factory radio I'll keep it stock.

Thanks in advance for any and all input! Here are a few pics as I know everyone likes pictures! Sorry they are so small I'll post some better ones later.

Old 01-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New 2005 Civic Owner here! Stop in and school me a little!

Originally Posted by PhillyTurboSix
I'd like to drive it a bit and get use to it before I take it in for the timing belt service. Just how long do I have to have the timing belt service done?
not long at all....you are right at the year and mileage recommendation, i would not put it off any further, not worth the risk, get it in there ASAP, if that belt ever snaps you are looking at a $2,000+ head job, i would also recommend replacing the timing belt tensioner and spring while they are at it, but your car and your decision, good luck
Old 01-18-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Also the car has the small rear spoiler like the Hybrd would. I didn't see that on the window sticker. The story I was told is the lady liked the look of the spoiler and had it added? Dealer? Just curious.
There were a variety of accessories available. Dealer (or nearly anyone) could add them as desired.

took it to the local dealer for all the service work.

I got the owner down on the price because the timing belt service was not done yet.
You really sure about that? If there are service records, browse them and see if they already got her for the timing belt.

You might even call the dealer and ask them about the service history of the car. I know people call us asking this info often.
told me some sensors have been replaced in her ownership
Wouldn't surprise me. Again, ask the dealer if there are no service records.

I'd be looking at the timing belt, water pump, coolant, and accessory belts, to start. (tensioner pulley should be good until the next timing belt service).
4 spark plugs are also due at 100k, they are long life 100k plugs. Use the correct NGK or DENSO plugs please.
Look in the owners manual for the rest of the service recommendations.
I strongly urge frequent ATF service since Honda has a lousy track record with automatic transmissions and I believe every little bit can help.

factory... fog lights. Is the harness there for them?

Is it a plug and play deal?

I see some kits on eBay are those good? Where is a good place to buy something like that.

Where would the switch mount in the car?
Nope. The car is not pre-wired for them.

Nope. A dealer installed accessory fog light kit came with all parts and the wire harness (may have been 2 separate packages).

No clue about ebay kits, you are on your own there.
The accessory kit is no longer available from Honda according to my catalog info.

Looks like the factory kit would have put the switch in the center console near the accessory power outlet.. Nearly identical rectangular switch blanks (if unused) are by your left knee on the dash. (I blast those dang switches with my knee rather often.)

HTH
Old 01-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cb450sc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Philly
Nice looking car. I have had a 2005 Canadian Special Edition for a couple of months now in the same colour. It has 29000 km on it, barely broken in! I purchased it from a retired couple in Toronto. The SE in Canada is just the base Civic with air. I used to have a 2003 Hybrid until last year. I put 260,000 km on it but sold it as I was worried about the battery.
I just got the car back yesterday from the shop. I had them repair the five door dents and the four corners of the bumpers that had been scratched up. I also had them paint and put on a hybrid rear spoiler just like yours. I got it for $40 from a crashed car.
I am hoping that this car will last me another 15 years. I had it Krowned (rust proofing) and cruise control added when I got it.
I can't say I have seen another non-hybrid like our car. The car only came with snow tires, but I was able to pick up four fat fives as well. You have very good taste in vehicles!
Old 01-18-2013

Thanks so much guys for the reply's! I truly appreciated them! I picked her up today! First order of business was a good wash and detail! She came up like a new penny! And now the "to do list"

And now for the bad! lol

Tires: wow are they junk! Bridgestone G019 Grid Potenza. Sounds like I'm driving a steam roller. The woman gave me a ton of paper work and receipts with the car. Looks like the tires may have about 30 to 40K on them. There is decent tread left but they are feathering and loud! With the radio up they are loud! Did I mention how loud they are! lol So stay away from those.

How long do the shocks and struts typically last on these cars? With the feathering of the tires it has me wondering. It also seems a little to bouncy in the back and I kinda hear a squeaking when it bounces up and down over humps in the road. They all were 10psi low and I aired them up only to get louder it seems. So I'm thinking I may need some rear shocks at least along with a fresh set of decent tires to add to the list of things to do.

Radiator: It was about 30 min drive home mostly highway. I get off and get a faint smell of antifreeze. Oh great, hoping it's another car around me but it was me. Seems there is a slight leak maybe in the radiator on the passenger side near the fan. Looks like it might be hitting the engine a little bit. I opened the reserve tank (after cooling down a bit) and it's filled to the top and I'm not seeing any leaking on the ground. It's been super cold around here. I can't see where it's coming from but knowing my luck I'm sure the radiator has a slight leak somewhere on one of the fins. So that is on the watch list. Could also be the reserve tank as it's somewhere in that area. I also see what looks like some type of radiator stop leak in the reserve tank as it wasn't pure antifreeze. I checked the dipstick and the oil looks like oil. So maybe they knew about the slight leak and dumped something in there. I also noticed when stopped the heat would not blow as hot while the gauge is sitting at normal operating temp. Knowing my luck the stop leak they dumped in there is clogging the heater core! I know my

Accord needed a radiator around 100K from the last owner. Are they known to be problematic? What is a good source for a new one? Do I need OEM or can I just hit up the local auto parts store? I get a 20% discount at Auto Zone.

I'm going to take the car to my mech on Thursday for PA inspection. Put it up in the air and poke around. I see recent receipts for brakes. This poor woman who owned this car before me took it to the dealer for everything and they raped her good! I didn't see timing belt so I'm going to start to gather those parts. Is there a good place to buy OEM Honda parts? Link me please I guess I'll have to hunt down some part number look up list for the car as well. I'm going to move that timing belt service up considering what you guys have posted. So after Thursday I'll have some more info on the car.

I looked at the original window sticker and there was a dealer addition on it. "Deck lid spoiler" $695.00 bucks! Ouch! And wheel locks for $99 bucks. Made the over all price of the car new $19,619 I'm a nerd when it comes to paper work with a car. I love to read and go thru a cars history in life.

So my main concerns are, Radiator.. where should I buy one? How much? OEM part number for it? Same goes for the timing belt parts. Where should I buy, How much? Is there a part number kit? I'm going to drain and fill the trans with OEM fluid. I'll be stopping at the dealer on Monday for sure! Sorry to be long winded guys I just want to get my Civic well maintained and safe for the miles I'll be adding to it!
Old 01-19-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

How long do the shocks and struts typically last
Struts last until they leak, knock, or bounce excessively.
200k-300k with original parts is not uncommon (across the whole Honda fleet, not just Civics), and some got replaced before they went out of warranty. So it just depends.

These aren't GMs.

Bridgestone G019 Grid Potenza.
The tire wear is not likely caused by anything but crappy tread design and owner neglect......Meaning you can replace the struts all you want but I seriously doubt it will change anything but your wallet.
Radiator:
Not radiator. Head gasket.
Start reading all the head gasket threads here and save your pennies. There is a DIY on it here somewhere too.
If your mechanic has never dealt with these particular cars much, or if your mechanic....is...an.......NVM.........

Suffice to say, the head gasket is the most misdiagnosed problem these cars have.

Timing belt is now a cheap add on job to the head gasket job too.
I just saved you money!

Maybe you just figured out why the car was for sale......there is ALWAYS a reason it's for sale.

BTW, if it has never overheated, the radiators crack the top plastic tank...usually near or opposite from the top hose, or where the flat pad is molded with a sticker or brand name stamped.
Pushing the coolant out into the reservoir is what happens when these blow the head gasket. Radiator will be very low if you go look.
Search and read.

I see recent receipts for brakes.
Front brake job here is about 200 McDoubles unless it needs calipers or rotors. I'm in the rust belt, so it might get rotors at 100k here due to rust. Meh, don't skimp on peoples lives.

The factory drum brake shoes on these cars can last a lifetime. They just don't wear much at all. Plenty go 200k and more.

This poor woman who owned this car before me took it to the dealer for everything and they raped her good!
I personally resent that. Not all of us rape and pillage like Vikings.
I depend on repeat business and happy customers, no matter how sh!tty my attitude is.

I looked at the original window sticker and there was a dealer addition on it. "Deck lid spoiler" $695.00 bucks! Ouch! And wheel locks for $99 bucks.
What, no undercoating? No paint protectant? Fabric guard?

You should see the crap the salesmaggots push now...Glorified Rain-X.... and some kinda wax where they dump lighter fluid on and burn it as a demonstration. Totally ruined some paint doing that, even though the instructions had them doing it..
Tire and wheel protection...Nitrogen in the tires for people that don't understand the laws of Physics...And more.
Made the over all price of the car new $19,619
Dang. That's about what I paid for my 12 LX.
Old 01-19-2013

I really wasn't trying to be a Debbie Downer.
Old 01-19-2013
Registered!!

My son has a '93 Civic. When he got it, there was a slight smell of antifreeze as well. My first thought was head gasket. My neighbour suggested a new rad cap. I thought, what the heck, for a a few bucks (aftermarket) I'll give it a try. Sure enough, that is all it was. You might give this a try first.
Old 01-20-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
Suffice to say, the head gasket is the most misdiagnosed problem these cars have.
And this is exactly why I'm going to change the head gasket at the same time I change my timing belt and associated maintenance items. On these cars, I would put it at a routine maintenance item with the high amount of failures on them. Why wait until you have symptoms or overheat the head before changing the head gasket. That's like waiting for the timing belt to jump a tooth or snap before you replace it. Seven years is a reasonable amount of time to change a head gasket on these cars whether they need it or not just like the timing belt and water pump weather they need to be changed or not.
Old 01-20-2013

Yeah, but YOU can DIY it on a weekend.

Most average consumers aren't going to shell out 1500+ McDoubles unless the car lays down.
(Should I use a little golden arch in front of the number in$tead of dollar $ign$?)

I have been called a thief for saying a car needed one, when the cus.....consumer and their "other mechanic" didn't see any of those "usual signs" of a blown head gasket common to other cars.
No opportunity to prove my case, I'm nothing but a thief.

If I wanted to do something dishonest I'd sure as hell find something that paid a whole hell of a lot better than fixing cars.
Old 01-20-2013
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Matt_75
Seven years is a reasonable amount of time to change a head gasket on these cars whether they need it or not.
Sorry but I don't agree with that. I was just talking with someone that had ridiculous mileage/years on an original head gasket. I believe if you drive these cars to manufacturer spec and do routine maintenance very little will ever go wrong with them. Thing is most people don't want to drive between 2-3k RPM, lol. So if that's you then stock up on head gaskets, I guess.
Old 01-20-2013

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

It's a ****ed up world we live in today. For some ignorant ******* to come in and say something like that to your dealer or service manger or whoever is just disgusting IMO. When in reality you're an outstanding tech who's looking out for the best interest of the vehicle(not necessarily the customer) and has the integrity to do the right thing.....it just makes me sick to my stomach.

I just hope you get some satisfaction that there are some people out here that can do most of the work themselves and can do it competently and that your experience and advice go a long way in helping them achieve that repair whatever it may be.
Old 01-20-2013

Thanks. *snif*
Old 01-20-2013

Originally Posted by Stock 99
Sorry but I don't agree with that. I was just talking with someone that had ridiculous mileage/years on an original head gasket. I believe if you drive these cars to manufacturer spec and do routine maintenance very little will ever go wrong with them. Thing is most people don't want to drive between 2-3k RPM, lol. So if that's you then stock up on head gaskets, I guess.
That's fine and you're entitled to your opinion. Me personally, I don't really give a **** what you think about this particular issue with these vehicles. And I don't really think it matters much how you drive them.

BTW, what is "manufacturer spec"? Are you saying people never drive over 3k RPM in these for anything whatsoever in the entire life of the vehicle?

BTW, my HG blew at 10 years and 86k miles on it and I routinely revved it above 3K on an almost a daily basis. What's your opinion on that?
Old 01-20-2013

Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

my opinion is you sound like a jerk
Old 01-20-2013

I've seen the cars go a quarter million miles on the original head gasket AFAIK.
Just saw a car with well over 300k a couple weeks ago (no idea if it had the original HG or not).

Seen others changed before 50k.

No rhyme or reason that I can tell.

I don't believe I have done more than one HG on any of our regulars.
EDIT: I meant no "repeat HG job" after the first replacement.

Last edited by ezone; 01-20-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2013

That's fine and you're entitled to your opinion. Me personally, I don't really give a **** what you think

Don't fight girls, you're both pretty.

Old 01-20-2013

I'm down with that, but I'd prefer to be called an azzhole over a jerk. JMHO.
Old 01-20-2013
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

i kind of agree with this....

this is just my 2 cent opinion....

i think the life of the auto tranny, and head gasket are both determined by how the vehicle is driven....im the original owner of my 05 and the car rarely ever sees rpms over 3,000....250,000km and no tranny or HG issues, shifts like new, runs like new,
Old 01-20-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

about the tires, try a cross-rotation. reversing the direction of tires could help on reducing the feathering... but they might feather on the other direction in due time...
Old 01-20-2013
Registered!!

Wow what happened to this thread?
Old 01-20-2013

I'm away from the PC for a few days and bam! My poor thread! lol

I do appreciated any and all comments/input good or bad that's why I come here to hear all sides. That's the great thing about these forums.

Good part is I have some updated news to trouble shoot some more. First I've called my mech. Great guys knows his chit and has worked on Honda's for years. He took care of my 97 Accord and it ran like a clock with him. So Thursday I have it scheduled to go in for a full inspection and evaluation.

I'm going to the local dealer this week and picking up some parts to get started. I've been busying getting my boy moved in for college so now that he's set up I can play more with the car.

I'm not sold 100% on the head gasket but I will run tests to see for sure and thanks for letting me know as I can always check that. One reason I'm not 100% sold is the cars temp is rock solid. It comes up to temp and stays there. The oil change is due in 1000 miles and the oil shows no signs of a milkshake like you would typically find with a head gasket. I took a pic of the dipstick today.....

I drive like an old lady. Half throttle at best. While you can't trust what someone says but for what it's worth the woman who owned the car before me wasn't a speed demon either. She was telling me how proud she was of it because it was her first new car purchase.

Some more info, The car sat a few days and I opened the radiator cap to have a look see and it let out a poof of air when I uncapped it. Not sure what that means. I know they are hard to burp at times. Just looking at the radiator cap and the mess inside I'm going to replace the radiator regardless for sure. It don't look good in there. While she kept up on oil changes and such at the dealer. I think the last time in she was due for a coolant flush and just didn't do it. I tried to get in there and clean the leak area up some to see if I can pin point it. It looks like the overflow bottle somewhere might be leaking or a pin hole in the rad. It's not a constant leak and very mild. Maybe I made it sound worse.

It almost looks like the overflow cap might even be bad. I took it off cleaned it well and put it back on taking some coolant out as it was filled to the very top of the neck on the overflow bottle. But from the pic, it looks like it may have been leaking awhile....

So keep the input coming guys as I'll take it in Thursday to my mech. One nice thing about your input is it will give him some ideas to start with and we can get right to work on the car knowing what to look for and what to test,check first!

Thanks for the tip on the tires. I'll cross rotate and see what happens but I've already added tires to the shopping list. I drove the car into work today and there is a few humps on I95 that make your car bounce pretty good. When I hit them instead of getting an even bounce the car was moving all over the road. I'm thinking she hit a pothole at one point and blew a shock/strut out. So I'll be replacing those as well as it almost wants to pull the wheel out of your hand when it bounces. There is also some noise in the back over bumps like a creaking/squeaking so maybe one of the rears are blown. Thursday will tell more for sure!

Just to clear up my reasoning for saying this last owner was raped at the dealer it's just she went there for ever little thing. I think they charged her 65 bucks for new wipers last time around and they are basic junk wipers. I mean I could post thru these receipts she has and look at things that us wrenchers do all the time and cry over the price the dealer charges. But I also agree sometimes you just need to have the dealer do the repairs to make sure it's done correct and to specs. But I've also had people in the business that let me use their commercial accounts at the local dealers so I've never paid full price at the dealers. Always good to have family in the body shop business!
Old 01-20-2013

Almost forgot these! I took a few pics of the car today at work. Here is Shoreline Mist Metallic with a little instagram action.

Old 01-20-2013

One other issue to ask you guys.. Both license plate illumination lamps are out. I took the lamps out and they were black like they shorted and blew. Both were like this. I put new lamps in them and still out. Common issue? Pinch in the harness somewhere? I haven't trouble shot this much further due to time but I figured I'd ask in case this may be a fuse or common issue.
Old 01-20-2013

For some reason I still feel obligated to reply to this....

The oil change is due in 1000 miles and the oil shows no signs of a milkshake like you would typically find with a head gasket
You are looking for the wrong things, just like 90% of everyone that isn't intimately familiar with the cars.
When these blow a head gasket, they don't mix oil and coolant.
They don't lose compression.

I already told you what this engine does.

Now...Figure out if it DOES need the head gasket before it needs the oil change. An oil change SHOULD be part of a head gasket job. Plan carefully.

I'm not 100% sold is the cars temp is rock solid.
This will not overheat until sufficient coolant is lost to affect heat transfer ability. If you have cold weather, it would have to lose quite a bit of coolant before you notice.

Right around the same time, some people notice the heater gets wimpy at stops.

The car sat a few days and I opened the radiator cap to have a look see and it let out a poof of air when I uncapped it. Not sure what that means.
Already explained as "radiator will be low"

I know they are hard to burp at times.
No, they aren't.

Just looking at the radiator cap and the mess inside I'm going to replace the radiator regardless for sure. It don't look good in there.
Post a picture of this please.
Is it like gelled sand?
IF it has been overheated, steam erosion could have trashed the radiator neck.
It looks like the overflow bottle somewhere might be leaking ....
It almost looks like the overflow cap might even be bad. I took it off cleaned it well and put it back on taking some coolant out as it was filled to the very top of the neck on the overflow bottle. But from the pic, it looks like it may have been leaking awhile....
THIS cap cannot be air tight. It is designed to allow excess coolant come out. The only way it can go bad is to be missing completely.

You are looking at the wrong things.

Thanks for the tip on the tires. I'll cross rotate and see what happens but I've already added tires to the shopping list.
Once tires start the feathering/chopping, it is damn tough to get the process to reverse.......but it can be possible if one swaps them side to side on the same axle. Can't do that with directional tires though.

I'm thinking she hit a pothole at one point and blew a shock/strut out. So I'll be replacing those as well as it almost wants to pull the wheel out of your hand when it bounces. There is also some noise in the back over bumps like a creaking/squeaking so maybe one of the rears are blown. Thursday will tell more for sure!
Inspect and diagnose before throwing money at it. It is easy to guess wrong.

I think they charged her 65 bucks for new wipers last time around and they are basic junk wipers.
Parts dept. rapes, but service installs them for free.
EDIT: at the dealer I work in.

things that us wrenchers do all the time
Wait, wait...You work on cars or something?

sometimes you just need to have the dealer do the repairs to make sure it's done correct and to specs.
That's what they want the general public to think. The reality can be much, much different. Dealers and independents alike depend on low wage flunkies to generate the majority of the revenue.
FEW shops retain a full staff of top-gun talent.

Would you like fries with that?

Last edited by ezone; 01-20-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't do the head gasket unless it is for sure blown. You may create more issues pulling the head off than you can ever think possible. That being said, to me it sounds like you've got head gasket issues but diagnose it first.
Old 01-20-2013

Originally Posted by PhillyTurboSix
One other issue to ask you guys.. Both license plate illumination lamps are out. I took the lamps out and they were black like they shorted and blew. Both were like this. I put new lamps in them and still out. Common issue? Pinch in the harness somewhere? I haven't trouble shot this much further due to time but I figured I'd ask in case this may be a fuse or common issue.
#194 bulbs naturally darken as they age, along with many others.
See if any of the other lights in the trunklid don't work. Some cars would break a wire at a splice near the trunk lid hinge.

Turn the lights on, watch them as you open and slowly raise the trunk lid.
Old 01-20-2013

I'm down with that, but I'd prefer to be called an azzhole over a jerk. JMHO.
lol

not to hijack the thread or anything, but cool. To the OP and 'new guy' people here a are def cool and nice. Wasn't expecting to read that today.

I dunno, I've been a non smoker for 20 days now and ran out of pot 2 days ago so @Matt_75, sorry just kind of a knee jerk reaction in a terrible state of mind.
Old 01-20-2013

@stock99, No problem bud. I was a little more brash than I needed to be too. After some thought I may tend to agree that driving habit may very well be a part of it along with other factors.

@the Op, everyone that's supplied info is pretty well versed in the issues that these vehicles experience, especially ezone who is a dealer tech.

The head gasket coating around the fire ring tends to where away over time, probably due to excess heat and allows cylinder pressure to enter the coolant system and pressurize it. There's almost a zero chance of the break occurring between the coolant passages and the oil drain or pressure holes in the head. That's why your oil is not milky. You have an MLS head gasket. Very solid with the exception of the issues around the fire ring.

Below is a picture of my head gasket when I replaced it on my vehicle. You can see where the coating has worn away around the fire ring. I just circled a few of the areas that were worn away. It never over heated. It spewed coolant out the reserve tank. ezone was kind enough to help me through the replacement process.

Name:  WP_000053-2.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  68.6 KB

Last edited by Matt_75; 01-20-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-20-2013

Oh yeah, I just read through this thread again and yeah your head gasket is shot. I mean get it tested but yeah, it's shot. The overfilled reservoir is a huge indicator.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 2005 Civic Owner here! Stop in and school me a little!