7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

A/C question

Old 05-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mvanbv00 is an unknown quantity at this point
A/C question

My air is cold enough but the compressor kicks on and off about every 1-2 seconds, and I can feel the power loss when it kicks on. I checked the pressure of the system on the low port and when the compressor is running it is at 45PSI and when the compressor kicks off the pressure goes up to 75 PSI. Is my compressor shot or is the problem somewhere else?
Old 05-24-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: A/C question

check the plugs to the compressor.

the compressor is suppose to kick on and off when the car is cold enough...but its not suppose to do that on/off/on/off/on/off every 2 sec... depending how hot the temp inside ur car is, it should kick on and stay on for a while.

try turning ur AC the the coldest setting and seeing if that compressor stays on.
Old 05-24-2012
Registered!!

Is the compressor directly below the alternator? And how do I check the plugs and what plugs(electrical?)? Sorry. I don't know a lot about A/C.

Last edited by mvanbv00; 05-24-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-24-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mvanbv00
My air is cold enough but the compressor kicks on and off about every 1-2 seconds, and I can feel the power loss when it kicks on. I checked the pressure of the system on the low port and when the compressor is running it is at 45PSI and when the compressor kicks off the pressure goes up to 75 PSI. Is my compressor shot or is the problem somewhere else?
No, the comp ain't shot yet.

You have LOW SIDE pressure readings here....

What is the HIGH SIDE pressure doing while this is going on?
(Very important info for determining the next step)

Did you DIY add your own freon?
Old 05-25-2012
Registered!!

I had a friend do a DIY freon (R134A) a few years ago. It has been doing this since then, but I never use my air (mostly because of this issue).

I don't know how to tell what the high side is doing. The only gauge I have is the crappy one that came in the kit, and it will only fit over the low side port.

And a little bit more info: When my friend did the DIY a few years ago, the start PSI was just at the bottom end of the acceptable range (about 30-35 PSI if I remember correctly) and he added one and a half small cans of R134A. I think that the gauge that came with the refill kit was bad or something, because the needle never moved from the 30-35 PSI range, so he just kept adding R134. Could this issue be an overfill issue?
Old 05-25-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mvanbv00
I had a friend do a DIY freon (R134A) a few years ago. It has been doing this since then,
It is overcharged.

I don't know how to tell what the high side is doing.
With a gauge set.

The only gauge I have is the crappy one that came in the kit, and it will only fit over the low side port.
And a little bit more info: When my friend did the DIY a few years ago, the start PSI was just at the bottom end of the acceptable range (about 30-35 PSI if I remember correctly) and he added one and a half small cans of R134A. I think that the gauge that came with the refill kit was bad or something, because the needle never moved from the 30-35 PSI range, so he just kept adding R134. Could this issue be an overfill issue?
The low side gauge doesn't tell the entire story.

There is NO WAY to tell how much is in a system without using both high side and low side gauges. The high side is very important too.

Yes, it is probably overfilled.

I'd tell you a pro should be the one doing AC work.
Charge R134a by weight, not by the canfull.

A seasoned pro can probably do it by feel, too.