7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Can't get rear end of car jacked up

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicN3wb is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't get rear end of car jacked up

I'm trying to jack up the rear end of my Civic in an attempt to figure out why the brakes are making a noise and I'm having some trouble. I have a 15" jack, which I have used to jack up the front end of the car, but for whatever reason (I guess the tow hook is higher than the front support?) the jack doesn't come close to getting the tires off the ground. I think it needs to go several more inches.

I thought about trying to use the jack points on the side of the car, but I can't fit the jack and stands under the jack point at the same time.

I really don't want to buy another jack, so what are my options? Could I try putting something on the top of the jack, or set the jack on something?
Old 05-19-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Can't get rear end of car jacked up

There are jacking points under the rear of the car. Look in your owners manual, it shows them IIRC.
Old 05-19-2012
Registered!!

CivicN3wb is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, the manual didn't show any rear jacking point (it showed the ones on the side of the car, but that was it), but I ended up putting the jack under some part of the frame. At least, I think it was the frame; it was a metal bar thing that connected the wheels to the car. Anyway, it seemed to work OK

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

That's the trailing arm, don't jack up the car off the trailing arm.
Old 05-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Put a piece of wood on the jack and jack from the rear tow hook. Then use the jackstands on both sides where you would normally jack it from. Simple..ooooorr get a better/bigger jack lol.

Dont just jack from random spots, you may break/bend something.
Old 05-20-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

i use the frame for the rear arms, right in the middle where the sway bar is
Old 05-20-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i tried jacking from the tow hook once but it wouldnt go high enough to use stands. jack maxed out and i couldnt do it. strange cause the front works fine this way. make sure car is in gear or P before jacking the rear.
Old 05-20-2012
Registered!!

L82theGame is an unknown quantity at this point

A little ingenuity and you can figure out any problem. I had this issue the other day when I put my car up on 4 stands for the first time. I used a paver block under the floor jack and was able to take the stands all the way up using various points on the car. Hope you find a safe solution!!
Old 05-20-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
i tried jacking from the tow hook once but it wouldnt go high enough to use stands. jack maxed out and i couldnt do it. strange cause the front works fine this way. make sure car is in gear or P before jacking the rear.
Yea you need a pretty big jack to jack the rear.
Old 05-20-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Yea you need a pretty big jack to jack the rear.
oh, my god, you got an unicorn as avatar too...
Old 05-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
i use the frame for the rear arms, right in the middle where the sway bar is
Yes. this is the easiest and safest point to jack the rear of the car.

For those of you not familiar, it's right in center of the car between the rear wheels under the structural (semi) boxed frame that the rear control arms bolt to. A small floor jack should be able to easily jack the car up from there to where jack stands under the rocker panel as shown in the manual can be placed.

I wouldn't trust the tow hook to support the car. Might bend the unibody. It's pretty thin in that area.
Old 05-21-2012
Registered!!

lol, lets just say I wasnt the one who did it.
Old 05-21-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Remember to always use jack stands as well.
Old 05-21-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
lol, lets just say I wasnt the one who did it.
sl33py wanted company? felt alone? :P
Old 05-21-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

sl33py wanted company? felt alone? :P
this is how we roll brah

Name:  2009_02_02_bikepics-1558219-800.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  65.7 KB
Old 05-22-2012
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
this is how we roll brah

Name:  Gay1.gif
Views: 954
Size:  1.4 KB
Old 05-22-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by electric130

Old 05-22-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

buh... buh... buh... bwaaaaaaahahahahaahahahahaaaahaahaha!
Old 05-23-2012
Registered!!

Trolling up in this mans thread..
Old 05-23-2012
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

Does Honda say a valid jack point is at the rear tow hook?
I've always used the places right in front of the back wheels to jack the car up and the places right behind the front tires for the front of the car, and/or lift from bottom of auto tranny.
Old 05-23-2012
Registered!!

Bad idea to lift from the tranny.

Problem is you cant put a jackstand at the same point you lift, thus you use the rear tow hook.
Old 05-24-2012
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

That's why I jack up from the transmission and then use jacks at right behind the front wheels. No dents in the transmission yet, don't know how happy mounts are but meh
Old 05-24-2012
Registered!!

Instead of using the tranny use the front jack point. Like the rear tow hook-if you look under the car past the radiator there is a place to jack it.

Looks like this http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&b...9,r:2,s:0,i:77
Old 06-01-2012
Registered!!

CGaud is an unknown quantity at this point

I had same problem earlier... 3 ton floor jack w/ a wood block placed on the tow hook barely got jack stands under the car. I debated using the subframe but was too lazy and a little too chicken
Old 06-01-2012
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Then just do 1 side at a time.
Old 06-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road

Why are you guys jacking from the tow hook? You know that hook is just there so they have something to attach chains to when transporting the cars from the factory to the dealers right? It was never intended to actually 'tow' the car with, much less support the car's weight.

It's too high for a good jack point any way. Just push the jack a little further under the middle of the rear 'axle' and jack from there. I was able to get the rear high enough for jack stands using just a little 1.5 ton floor jack.
Old 06-02-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

owners manual says to use the tow hook
Old 06-02-2012
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gearbox
owners manual says to use the tow hook
Old 06-02-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by scooty
Why are you guys jacking from the tow hook? You know that hook is just there so they have something to attach chains to when transporting the cars from the factory to the dealers right? It was never intended to actually 'tow' the car with, much less support the car's weight.

It's too high for a good jack point any way. Just push the jack a little further under the middle of the rear 'axle' and jack from there. I was able to get the rear high enough for jack stands using just a little 1.5 ton floor jack.
I believe that is what they use to tow up a flatbad as well. Its perfectly safe to jack from ive been using it for years.
Old 06-03-2012
Registered!!

CGaud is an unknown quantity at this point

Good 2 know. I was just told that was the rear jack spot and that jacking on the mid frame could cause damage to it. Myth busted??? I might just use a piece of wood to evenly distribute the weight.

Quick Reply: Can't get rear end of car jacked up