7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

NEED HELP - 2005 Honda Civic LX - Key-less entry and Rear left power window

Old 03-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005hondacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
NEED HELP - 2005 Honda Civic LX - Key-less entry and Rear left power window

I have a 2005 Honda Civic LX (automatic transmission, 133,000 km) and I am having following problems for the last couple of months. I have limited experience about car. Your help will be highly appreciated.

1) Key-less entry doesn't work, use key to lock/unlock since August 2011. I replaced battery for key fob but didn't work. The headlights used to on when I pressed the key fob but not anymore. Neither panic sound nor headlights are working while pressing the key fob.

2) The rear left power window doesn't work since January 2012. All other windows are working perfectly. I checked fuses and I think fuses are okay. I have found interesting thing while checking the fuses. If I remove fuse (20A) for rear right window, then the rear left window works but rear right doesn't work (I understand it won't work as there is no fuse). If I add rear right window's fuse, the left window stops working but right window works.

I don't know where the problem is. If you can, please help me. Thank you.
Old 03-25-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: NEED HELP - 2005 Honda Civic LX - Key-less entry and Rear left power window

1.) Sounds like something might be wrong with the control unit for the Keyless entry system. A wire might have come loose or the module could be bad. The module should be located above the driver side kick panel under the dash. I believe the plug is orange.

2.) That is weird!! There must be a short in the system somewhere. Your going to have to get a multimeter and see if you can find the short. Start at the actuator in the door and trace the voltage back to the switch and window module. Your window module may have a short in it.
Old 03-26-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
1.) Sounds like something might be wrong with the control unit for the Keyless entry system. A wire might have come loose or the module could be bad. The module should be located above the driver side kick panel under the dash. I believe the plug is orange.

2.) That is weird!! There must be a short in the system somewhere. Your going to have to get a multimeter and see if you can find the short. Start at the actuator in the door and trace the voltage back to the switch and window module. Your window module may have a short in it.
@Golnat: I live in Calgary and It's snowing outside. I will follow your guidelines when it is warm outside and let you know the result. I was also reading some forums and found that the driver side door lock actuator may be bad. Therefore, the key-less entry isn't working. What is your thoughts? Thanks!
Old 08-26-2012
Civic Owner since 2005

Dee-Dee is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW! I have the same problem with my 2005. The left rear window quit working. I checked the fuse and it looks fine. Swapped a fuse from another window and it still did not work. My right rear door also quit unlocking with the key fob. It sounds like it want to unlock and moves slightly, but not all the way. Any ideas before I go to the dealer?
Old 08-30-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Dee-Dee
WOW! I have the same problem with my 2005. The left rear window quit working. I checked the fuse and it looks fine. Swapped a fuse from another window and it still did not work. My right rear door also quit unlocking with the key fob. It sounds like it want to unlock and moves slightly, but not all the way. Any ideas before I go to the dealer?
I had to replace driver side door lock actuator in order to use key fob. And for the power window there was a broken wire near the door hinge. I have fixed it with some tape. Now it's working.
Old 08-19-2014
Registered!!

daileyg13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 2005hondacivic
I had to replace driver side door lock actuator in order to use key fob.

Having an issue programming my recently purchased keyfob but my power lock works. Did your power lock work before replacing the actuator?

Last edited by daileyg13; 08-19-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2014
Registered!!

Redneck_cdn will become famous soon enough

I just picked up a 2004 4dr SI (aka EX) and it had a similar issue with the power window.

From the drivers door control I could operate all the windows but had no control from the rear passengers window switch.

I swapped out the window control switch from the other side, and verified the switch was working on the other door.

I started tracing wires and checking voltages from the drivers door over to the rear passengers control and found a couple broken wires inside the rubber tube on the rear passenger door.

I had to remove the passenger seat, seat belt and B-pillar trim *** well as the door panel to get access to the wires to pull them out far enough to properly solder and insulate.
Old 08-20-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redneck_cdn
I just picked up a 2004 4dr SI (aka EX) and it had a similar issue with the power window.

From the drivers door control I could operate all the windows but had no control from the rear passengers window switch.

I swapped out the window control switch from the other side, and verified the switch was working on the other door.

I started tracing wires and checking voltages from the drivers door over to the rear passengers control and found a couple broken wires inside the rubber tube on the rear passenger door.

I had to remove the passenger seat, seat belt and B-pillar trim *** well as the door panel to get access to the wires to pull them out far enough to properly solder and insulate.
When possible, I've been replacing the rear door harness when this happens to a 7th gen, they are so dang cheap that it's not worth my time (labor dollars) to cobble a repair.