7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Engine can't rev past 4000rpm

Old 03-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shaad6020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine can't rev past 4000rpm

Hey guys,

Last week my engine blew b/c the dealer did not change the timing belt as requested before the sale. Anyways they replaced the engine for me but when I drove the car today it would not rev past 4000 rpm.

The radio displays the text "CODE" and does not turn on as well. Did they forget to do something or is there a break in period for the engine?
Old 03-13-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Engine can't rev past 4000rpm

the best solution is for you to take it back. it is not your fault the engine they gave you was improperly installed or was defective.

as for the radio code, its in your glove box. its a 5 digit code. its a theif preventative measure honda puts on your radio when you unplug it (in you case, the dealer unplugged your battery)
Old 03-14-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I drove the car today it would not rev past 4000 rpm.

Something is seriously wrong. Whoever changed your engine is not finished. Take it right back there, do not accept the car until it is RIGHT.

The radio displays the text "CODE"

Same deal, the 5 digit code needs entered to unlock it.
The dealer needs to finish the job, since they had the battery unhooked.
Make sure you obtain the 5 digit code they unlock the radio with, you will need it sooner or later.

IF someone did the PDI right, there should be a sticker with the code or a serial number on the glovebox somewhere. Note there doesn't have to be a sticker anywhere since a human had to put it there. I have seen them from one end of the car to the other, from the battery to the trunklid.
Old 03-15-2012
Registered!!

jono237 is an unknown quantity at this point

this happened to a friend of mine who just fixed it a week ago. had a new motor installed and it wouldnt rev past 4k his problem was the was a sensor not plugged in so its worth a shot to look around and see if something didnt get plugged in.
Old 03-15-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I was gonna suggest looking around for an unplugged sensor.

However, since the dealership FUBAR'd the install, make them do it.
Old 03-15-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for all the input guys. I am just going to take it to my mechanic and work through him. The cost of missing work because I don't have a car is too much compared to what I would save through this dealer.

I'll let the mechanic know to look for a sensor unplugged, although I ran a code scanner and got code 1259 I believe.
Old 03-15-2012
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

check your oil level and see if the vtec solenoid is plugged in. Really easy to locate.

Standing into the engine bay, look behind the back left corner of the valve cover. You should be able to see if any sensors are unplugged.
Old 03-16-2012
Registered!!

Mechanic just called and said that the dealer put the wrong engine in. They put the d17a1 instead of the a2 engine. I called the dealer and he said its the same thing and they will add some stuff i didn't understand to make it run (sounded like they said they will make it a vtech). Called mechanic back and he said they cant make it into a vtech if its not.....ugh

Any idea on what I can do about the fact that they put a wrong engine in my car? Basically my engine blew b/c my timing belt went. When I bought the car last May, they said they would replace the timing belt as a condition of sale. IT went, 2 weeks ago and resulted in the engine blowing. I paid them $1000 for a new clutch engine, timing belt, water pump and towing. That is when I found out the engine can't rev past 4000rpm and when I found out they put the wrong engine in.
Old 03-16-2012
Girls twist wrenches too...

Roxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the rough

Just sounds like something you need to talk to the shop about mate :/
Old 03-16-2012
Administrator
Administrator

I'd, uh, never go to that dealer ever again. Get that ish done properly and make them pay for it.. or make them do the job properly. From what it sounds like, they're not gonna swap in a D17A2.. They're probably gonna do a vtec head swap. It'll give the ECU a warm fuzzy about vtec being back, but it still won't make it a true d17a2 engine.. I'd make them re-do the job proper, but that's just me.
Old 03-16-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Lawyer up.

Seems to be the norm around here when someone doesn't want to be responsible for their own doings.