Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

disable 30 second auto lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
biobot93 is an unknown quantity at this point
disable 30 second auto lock

so, i hate the autolock after 30 seconds, i locked my keys inside my car because of it.
so, anyone know how to wire it so only if it hasent been opened, will it re lock itself.
if not, then how do you disable the system completley

p.s. its a 2004 EX
Old 01-03-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: disable 30 second auto lock

Factory/accessory:
To switch from auto to manual arming:

Key off, remove key from ignition
Open a door and close it

These steps must be completed within 3 seconds:
Insert key in ignition switch, then remove it (all the way out)
Insert key in ignition switch.
You should hear the system beep 2 times.

Check it out, make sure that worked.
Old 01-03-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

That should make it manual arming only.

I don't see anything about making it re-arm only if a door was not opened.
Old 12-11-2014
Registered!!

saphoto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Factory/accessory:

Open a door and close it

These instructions are BS. I tried this by inserting key into position I, II of the ignition, by inserting in and out without turning. I tried to do it all within 3 seconds, all 3 seconds apart. I tried all possible ways and nothing worked.

I joined this forum just so I can save someone else the trouble.

Does anyone have a real solution?
Old 12-11-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by saphoto

Tough crowd, tough crowd.

Yes, open and close a door......problem solved.
Old 12-11-2014
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

sap, you just badmouthed someone who has posted over 13K of post helping Honda owners. He is a master Honda mechanic who has a full time job and does this on his own time and dime. You need to find a new forum. Maybe jerks unlimited... or apologize and maybe say, thanks, appreciate the help but did not appear to work. Maybe mine could have a different system or I am not doing it right. Might try typing disable automatic alarm in the search window in the middle of the screen a little ways down from the top. Lot of post on it.

Last edited by RIPSAW; 12-11-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-11-2014

Originally Posted by saphoto
These instructions are BS. I tried this by inserting key into position I, II of the ignition, by inserting in and out without turning. I tried to do it all within 3 seconds, all 3 seconds apart. I tried all possible ways and nothing worked.

Your signup and entry fees will be cheerfully refunded.
Grab your receipt, and stand in that line over there ----->
Old 03-22-2015
Registered!!

tempid is an unknown quantity at this point

My apologies for reviving this old thread.

ezone - I have a 2005 Civic LX and the steps you mentioned are not working for me. I tried it multiple times. Are the steps different for my model? Here's what I did -

1. Unlocked car, sat in the driver seat and closed the door. Waited a moment. Keys still in my hand.
2. Opened the driver door and closed it.
3. Within 3 seconds, I inserted key in ignition switch (at 0, not in I, II or III) twice and on the third attempt, I left the key at 0.
4. Waited up to 30 seconds. No beeps.

Repeated the above steps couple more times, no luck. Should step 2 be also performed within 3 seconds along with step 3?

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-22-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Know on my motorcycle in other countries from the USA, the auto arm is not programmable by the user. Could this be similar in cars.
Old 03-22-2015

Originally Posted by tempid
My apologies for reviving this old thread.

ezone - I have a 2005 Civic LX and the steps you mentioned are not working for me. I tried it multiple times. Are the steps different for my model? Here's what I did -

1. Unlocked car, sat in the driver seat and closed the door. Waited a moment. Keys still in my hand.
2. Opened the driver door and closed it.
3. Within 3 seconds, I inserted key in ignition switch (at 0, not in I, II or III) twice and on the third attempt, I left the key at 0.
4. Waited up to 30 seconds. No beeps.

Repeated the above steps couple more times, no luck. Should step 2 be also performed within 3 seconds along with step 3?

Thanks for the help!

Hi.
Since the OP of this thread apparently thought I'm a moron, let me ask you a few questions:

What is the problem you are having with the car?
What are you trying to accomplish?

Does the car have any aftermarket remote locks or alarm? Remote start?

Is your door jamb switch not broken? (Does it still operate correctly when you open the door? Dome light comes on properly when you open the door?)

Does the beeper still work when you stick the key in the ignition?
Old 03-22-2015

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I have a 2005 Civic LX
.....and do not have factory alarm.

The auto relock is a good feature incase you hit the wrong button, my 00 Corolla had it also.
Old 03-23-2015
Registered!!

What is the problem you are having with the car?
The car automatically locks all doors after a certain period of time (I believe 30 seconds).

What are you trying to accomplish?
I do not want the automatic locking. I'd like to do it manually. It used to be manual until I had the door actuators replaced at the stealership last year. I've been living with this issue since then.

Does the car have any aftermarket remote locks or alarm? Remote start?
Nope.

Is your door jamb switch not broken? (Does it still operate correctly when you open the door? Dome light comes on properly when you open the door?)
It is not broken. It operates correctly and the dome light comes on too.

Does the beeper still work when you stick the key in the ignition?
Yes, I hear the beeper.
Old 03-23-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
.....and do not have factory alarm.

The auto relock is a good feature incase you hit the wrong button, my 00 Corolla had it also.
Can you please explain? May be I'm missing the purpose of the auto lock feature. I got locked out a couple times. If the car is running and it locks automatically, then that's fine. But if the car is not running (like I'm taking the groceries out of the car, or get out and check the mailbox etc.)

May be it's just me - I find it a little annoying.
Old 03-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

The car automatically locks all doors after a certain period of time (I believe 30 seconds).

I do not want the automatic locking. I'd like to do it manually.
huh?

you still SHOULD be able to lock them manually,

are you saying the ONLY time the doors lock is by the auto locking?
Old 03-23-2015

May be I'm missing the purpose of the auto lock feature.
It's automatic RElocking.

If you are in .....say for example.....the tavern, and you inadvertently hit the unlock button in your pocket while digging out a dollar bill, the car outside unlocks. But you didn't realize it got unlocked....

So...

If nobody opens any doors within about 30 seconds, it will relock by itself. The end.

It should not relock by itself after any door is opened. After any door is opened, it should need to be relocked either by using the fob or manually.

But if the car is not running (like I'm taking the groceries out of the car, or get out and check the mailbox etc.)
The car should not lock itself after simply closing the doors.
(This is why I asked about the jamb switches.)

If the car is running and it locks automatically, then that's fine.
The car should not lock itself when you turn the ignition on, nor when you start it, nor put it in gear. The factory did not equip it to do those things.
That sounds like an aftermarket unit has been added...or something is seriously wrong.

Or...Did I misunderstand what your car is doing?

HTH
Old 03-23-2015
Registered!!

May be I'm not explaining the issue clearly.

Scenario #1: There was a weird sound coming from under the hood the other day. I got in the car, popped up the hood, started the car, then stepped out of the car (car is still running) and was trying to understand where this sound was coming from. There was no one in the car, car is running, all doors closed, and I'm outside the car looking into the engine bay.

Car got locked.

Luckily, I had a spare key so I ran into the house and got the other key and unlocked the car. Is this normal?

Scenario #2: I bought a new floor jack recently. I unlocked the car via remote but didn't get in. I was peeking under the car to see where the jack lift points are under the car. I heard all locks locking. Keys are in pocket and I didn't even get in the car.

@mikey1 - the doors do lock manually using the tabs on each door and also when I press the unlock button. What I don't want is the car locking itself automatically without any action from my side.

My little guy always wants to help me out while I'm working/cleaning the car and I don't want the car to lock automatically on him while he's in the car! Am I making sense gentlemen? Basically, I don't want the car to lock automatically whatsoever! It was not like this until I had some repair work done at a dealership last year.
Old 03-23-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Scenario #1: There was a weird sound coming from under the hood the other day. I got in the car, popped up the hood, started the car, then stepped out of the car (car is still running) and was trying to understand where this sound was coming from. There was no one in the car, car is running, all doors closed, and I'm outside the car looking into the engine bay.

Car got locked.

Luckily, I had a spare key so I ran into the house and got the other key and unlocked the car. Is this normal?
no, this is not normal, the car should never auto lock while the engine is running, are you sure the doors were not lock previous to you closing all doors?

Scenario #2: I bought a new floor jack recently. I unlocked the car via remote but didn't get in. I was peeking under the car to see where the jack lift points are under the car. I heard all locks locking. Keys are in pocket and I didn't even get in the car.
this IS normal...this is what the auto lock feature is intended for, if the car is unlocked and you don't open a door, the doors will lock again automatically
Old 03-23-2015

Basically, I don't want the car to lock automatically whatsoever! It was not like this until I had some repair work done at a dealership last year.
Do you have a red LED on top of the steering column, just about dead center in the top column cover? Blinks after locking the car?

Is there a red LED somewhere else on the dash that blinks after you lock the car?

My little guy always wants to help me out while I'm working/cleaning the car and I don't want the car to lock automatically on him while he's in the car! Am I making sense gentlemen?
Yeah. Teach him how to unlock the doors manually before going any further. He NEEDS to know these things.

You don't want him to become this guy:

We had a customer PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC call who was literally trapped inside the car because the power locks didn't work (dead battery, jumped, then the car stalled on the road, doors were locked. Longer story.)
Not smart enough to use a finger to move the manual lock button to unlock the door to get out.
Their neighbors who helped them were just as bright, they went all the way to the guys house to get a spare set of keys to unlock the door so the guy could get out.

"YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE TRAPPED INSIDE A CAR!!!"

"You're absolutely right, I don't have any idea what that's like.....And you were never trapped in that car."

Boy, that got some results LOL.
They really shouldn't let me talk to customers.
Old 03-23-2015
Registered!!

We had a customer PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC call who was literally trapped inside the car because the power locks didn't work (dead battery, jumped, then the car stalled on the road, doors were locked. Longer story.)
Not smart enough to use a finger to move the manual lock button to unlock the door to get out.
Their neighbors who helped them were just as bright, they went all the way to the guys house to get a spare set of keys to unlock the door so the guy could get out.

"YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE TRAPPED INSIDE A CAR!!!"

"You're absolutely right, I don't have any idea what that's like.....And you were never trapped in that car."

Boy, that got some results LOL.
They really shouldn't let me talk to customers.

Old 05-16-2016
Registered!!

bbarbulo is an unknown quantity at this point

Factory/accessory:

Open a door and close it

For everyone out there, this procedure works. If it doesn't work for you, you're doing it wrong. Performed on an '01 civic ex 2 door, si in Canada. Worked first try, except mine didn't beep 2 times. But despite not beeping, it did disable the automatic locks. Thanks to ezone.
Old 08-17-2016
Registered!!

Chris T Power is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraigW
Tough crowd, tough crowd.

Yes, open and close a door......problem solved.
I have a 2004 Honda civic and I live in Canada. I wish to disable the automatic door lock when the vehicle is shut off. Tonight I spend 2 hours trying to gain entry into my car ( the keys were inside on the car seat). This what happens: I unlock the car with the remote. The dashboard lights blink twice. I wait for a minute or two and then all the doors lock. I want this feature disabled. I have tried the method described but it do not solve my problem. What do I do? What am I not doing to disable this feature? Please help me.
Old 08-17-2016

^^^^ Looks like 2 or more subjects here.

If you unlock it with the remote and do not open a door it IS going to relock the car.... end of story. Toyotas do this a well.
Old 08-17-2016

Originally Posted by Chris T Power
I have a 2004 Honda civic and I live in Canada. I wish to disable the automatic door lock when the vehicle is shut off. Tonight I spend 2 hours trying to gain entry into my car ( the keys were inside on the car seat). This what happens: I unlock the car with the remote. The dashboard lights blink twice. I wait for a minute or two and then all the doors lock. I want this feature disabled. I have tried the method described but it do not solve my problem. What do I do? What am I not doing to disable this feature? Please help me.
Why bother to unlock the doors if you are just going to sit there?

Since the remote fob can't work until you take the key out of the ignition, why pull the key out of the ignition at all if you're just going to sit there?

If you DID open the door immediately after unlocking-- as explained in another post, is the door jamb switch inoperative? That would cause the control unit to assume no door was ever opened.

If the car has a non-Honda alarm (or whatever) system, none of this may apply.
If the system automatically locks the doors upon starting the engine, it's probably an aftermarket system.
Old 08-26-2016
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

You might want to try the process below. I don't know if it will work for you.

Program doors to unlock when you turn the car off
  • 1. Close the driver’s door. Put the shift lever in Park and turn the ignition into the On (II) position.
  • 2. While pressing the brake, move the shift lever out of Park.
  • 3. Press and hold the unlock side of the master locks switch for approximately 10 seconds. In that time, you will hear three clicks.
  • 4. Within five seconds, turn the ignition to the lock (0) position.
Program doors to unlock when you shift into Park
  • 1. Close the driver’s door and shift the vehicle into Park.
  • 2. Turn the ignition to On (II), then press and hold the unlock side of the master lock switch for approximately 10 seconds. You will hear three clicks.
  • 3. Within five seconds, turn the ignition to the Lock position.
Program doors to lock when you reach 9 mph
  • 1. Close the driver’s door and put the shifter in Park. Turn the ignition to the On (II) position.
  • 2. While pressing on the brake, move the shifter out of Park.
  • 3. Then, press and hold the lock side of the master lock switch for about five seconds until you hear two clicks.
  • 4. Within five seconds, turn the ignition to the Lock position.
Program all doors to lock when you shift out of Park
  • 1. Close the driver’s door and put the car in Park.
  • 2. Turn the ignition to the On (II) position.
  • 3. Press and hold the lock side of the master lock switch for five seconds until you hear two clicks.
Turn off Auto Unlock
  • 1. Open the driver’s door and put the shifter in Park.
  • 2. Turn the ignition to On (II).
  • 3. Press and hold the unlock side of the master lock switch for five seconds until you hear two clicks.
Turn off Auto Lock
  • 1. Open the driver’s door and put the shifter in Park.
  • 2. Turn the ignition to On (II).
  • 3. Press and hold the lock side of the master lock for about five seconds until you hear two clicks.
Program driver’s door to unlock when you shift into park
  • 1. Close the driver’s door. Put the shift lever in Park.
  • 2. Turn the ignition to the On (II) position.
  • 3. Press and hold the lock side of the master lock switch for about five seconds – you will hear two clicks.
Program driver’s door to unlock when you turn the car off
  • 1. Close the driver’s door. Put the shift lever n Park. Turn the ignition to the On (II) position.
  • 2. While pressing the brake, move the shifter out of Park.
  • 3. Press and hold the lock side of the master lock switch for about five seconds – you will hear two clicks.
  • 4. Within five seconds, turn the ignition to the Lock position
http://www.mattcastruccihonda.com/bl...nlock-feature/
Old 04-07-2019
Registered!!

Car Owner is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I have a 2018 Honda Civic. I do not have on-body locking. I just have a fob, which I click to lock or unlock the car.

When I'm on my porch, if I click to unlock the car, by the time I get to the car, it has relocked. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but I have to keep my hands gloved in the winter time because of an autoimmune problem.

So I want to be able to click and open the car from right when I step out onto the porch. Instead by the time I get to the car, it has relocked.

I've tried the above methods several times. I never get the two beeps, and the auto lock has not been disabled. What can I do to bypass the setting?

Thanks for helping me.
Old 04-07-2019

Originally Posted by Car Owner
Hi. I have a 2018 Honda Civic. I do not have on-body locking. I just have a fob, which I click to lock or unlock the car.

When I'm on my porch, if I click to unlock the car, by the time I get to the car, it has relocked. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but I have to keep my hands gloved in the winter time because of an autoimmune problem.

So I want to be able to click and open the car from right when I step out onto the porch. Instead by the time I get to the car, it has relocked.

I've tried the above methods several times. I never get the two beeps, and the auto lock has not been disabled. What can I do to bypass the setting?

Thanks for helping me.
The original thread was for 2001-2005 cars, the new cars are vastly different.

See your owners manual index under 'customized features'
If it's not in the owners booklet, stick that CD into your laptop so you can read the full 700 page version of the owners manual OR visit honda.com to find the owners manual for your car

Assuming it's doable, it's either done through the radio or done with the steering wheel controls:
Vehicle settings > Door setup > Security relock timer
Old 09-22-2019
Registered!!

Marty Baugh is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome. I could not believe the "strange" directions but they worked beautifully for me on my 2004 Pilot. I did not get the two beeps but my problem is solved - thank you!! My car started this auto locking our of nowhere, after all the years I've had this car (bought new). Thank you.
Old 10-08-2020
Registered!!

hbfs is an unknown quantity at this point

@ezone - I need your thoughts! I used the method you described and it worked the first time, but not the second time (or the next 30 times) I tried to perform it!

Here is my timeline:
1. Until recently, my car doors have never auto relocked if I unlock with the remote but don't open any doors for 30 seconds. I own a 2004 model year car. Over time, the front driver side door and front passenger side door actuators stop working.
2. Two weeks ago, I replace my front driver side door actuator. After the replacement, the doors start auto relocking if I unlock with the remote but don't open any doors for 30 seconds.
3. Following ezone's steps, I successfully reprogram the doors to stop auto relocking. The system never beeps twice, but the process works.
4. One week ago, I replace my front passenger side door actuator. After the replacement, the doors start auto relocking again if I unlock with the remote but don't open any doors for 30 seconds.
5. I follow ezone's steps again. They do not work. I try every possible permutation of door opening, key turning, key insertion and removal that could remotely resemble the instructions. I repeat the instructions maybe 30 separate times over the course of the week. No luck.

Ideally, I want to turn all auto relocking off. I want all locking to be manual.

ezone - do you have any other possible suggestions?

P.S. I actually drive a 2004 Accord EX, but unless I'm mistaken, this shouldn't matter since I personally know that the steps have worked before. The actuators were both OEM parts.

For everyone else in thread, I even found the Honda manual that describes the procedure: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/69...?page=6#manual

Last edited by hbfs; 10-17-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2020

Originally Posted by hbfs
. After the replacement, the doors start auto relocking after 30 seconds.
automatic relock because the unit didn't recognize that the door had opened?
Wildass guess the switch in that door jamb is bad or broken, maybe the plastic pin got bumped sideways and snapped off.. Maybe accident during other work, crap happens, Maybe just coincidence 16 years of daily wear n tear leads to old n busted

Old 10-17-2020
Registered!!

hbfs is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like I checked in on this thread at exactly the right time and caught you replying.

When I say auto relock, I mean that if I unlock with the remote, but I don't open any doors for 30 seconds, the car will automatically relock itself.

1. Unlock car with remote
2. Don't open door for 30 seconds
3. Door automatically relocks

Last edited by hbfs; 10-17-2020 at 07:25 PM.

Quick Reply: disable 30 second auto lock