7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2001 civic, squeaking noise from steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicRider is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile 2001 civic, squeaking noise from steering wheel

Hi, I have civic Lx 2001 142000 miles. Starting this winter ,4 months ago, my steering wheel started making squeaking sound while turning. sound comes from the base of steering near firewall. It is not/barely noticeable while driving on road. But when I am in my parking plaza where only I am turning, it becomes very loud. No sound while driving straight. If i ask someone to turn wheels while I open the hood and try to listen sound, I am not able to hear sound may be due to engine noise. Power steering fluid is full. Sound is more when steering wheel is turned to maximum. No sound if it is turned and stopped at max left or right e.g driving in sharp circle round and round.
any ideas what it could be ??
Old 04-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: 2001 civic, squeaking noise from steering wheel

It's normal in cold weather for the system to make noises, especially when parked. If there's no driveability problems don't worry about it.
Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

Its about 2 months now. That noise is still there. No problems in driveability whatsoever. But still it is annoying. I shot a video in my calm parking lot. May be someone experienced this problem and reached a solution.
[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=143&t ransactionid=1307955110-2422888105&posted_by=CivicRider_www.civicforums.co m&youtube_video_id=nKdp4yOK-VU[/autostream]
thanks
Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

what color is the fluid in the power steering reservoir ??? when is the last time you changed the fluid ???
Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

Steering fluid was replaced september 2010 by a local mechanic shop as part of routine maintenance. No issues back then. they used supertech (walmart brand ).
Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Have you actually looked under there while someone turns the wheel? Sounds like rubber rubbing. There's a rubber boot going through the firewall where the rack mates to the steering shaft. I don't envy you if it is.
Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CivicRider
Steering fluid was replaced september 2010 by a local mechanic shop as part of routine maintenance. No issues back then. they used supertech (walmart brand ).
there's your problem going that long with walmart fluid only use honda power steering fluid the damage is probably already done i would replace the fluid ASAP.
Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
there's your problem going that long with walmart fluid only use honda power steering fluid the damage is probably already done i would replace the fluid ASAP.
Totally missed that.

Might be ok if you change back to Honda brand. If the seals are shot though, then it's time to rebuild the steering rack.
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

I tried looking under there while someone turned the steering wheel. there is no sound from engine bay or from steering boot area. Even after multiple tries, i was not able to hear this rubbing sound from outside, either wheels on ground or jacked up, or engine running or stopped. This sound only comes from inside the car.
I will change fluid back to Honda one this weekend.
Old 06-16-2011
Registered!!

TDC2001civic is an unknown quantity at this point

your steering rack is fine that sound is coming from the inside of the car, and the rubber grommet between the firewall would not make that sound. Have you recently cleaned/or spilled something there that could have stripped away lubrication. i suggest popping steering wheel off and taking a look.