7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

*Think twice before you buy a salvage title vehicle.*

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
*Think twice before you buy a salvage title vehicle.*

Learn from me and think twice before buying salvage. Hell, I would suggest not even doing it.

2001 EX coupe. Bought it salvage in January 2007 for $2000. Thought it was a pretty good deal as KBB was $7200 at the time. I could tell that the core support had been welded back on. Looked to be a quality job tho, all the panels lined up and everything looked in place otherwise. It's been a pretty reliable ride so far. Sound mechanically and electrically for the most part, except for little stuff. Now, for the scary part. Tonight I pulled the center console to investigate the audio plug (from the other thread). After taking my pictures, I was about to close it up when I noticed a little yellow plug...
Name:  wtf.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  62.2 KB
Upon further investigation I found that the passenger airbag isn't connected or even there (the module is there but, no airbag itself).
It's still up for debate whether airbags save lives but, if they did would you want your family riding around protected less than they could be?
Old 12-19-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: *Think twice before you buy a salvage title vehicle.*

I'd give you rep for this post, but I've given it to you too recently.

Thanks for posting man.
Old 12-19-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MindBomber
I'd give you rep for this post, but I've given it to you too recently.
lol. No prob.
Old 12-19-2010
Johnny Tran stole my S2000 that I had over $100K in mods.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to behold

Wow.I always stay away from salvage.Now I know to not even look at their listings.Oh,and I can't rep you either.
Old 12-19-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by VTEC-2.0
Wow.I always stay away from salvage.Now I know to not even look at their listings.
Yeah, I was out of a job for like 6 months and just had my red '01 EX repod and had to borrow that money from the 'rents. I was hard up and , believe it or not, it was the the only decent Honda for $2K around at the time (or so I thought). It's the first salvage I even thought about buying and it'll be the last, you can bank on that.
Old 12-19-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Or do a reeealy through inspection after buying...
Some guys do buy salvages but disassembled 1/2 the car afterwards to know what needs be done.
I understand that you had not have the best conditions to do that, so that's OK for you.
Works as warning to the clueless buyers too (not you! )
Old 12-20-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

+1. my baby was salvaged, i should check the bags.
Old 12-20-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice writeup +1 from me too Wow, it says what your rep power is now underneath your username. On second thought, no +1 because I have to spread it around.
Old 12-20-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah its really hard to figure out what exactly happened that caused a salvage title. sometimes its just body repair work which is completely fine, other times it could be more serious and theres no way to know for sure without stripping the entire car. and even then, it could be mechanical. if that srs plug is disconnected, makes you wonder what other stuff like that you dont know about. im also wondering how they were able to disable the srs light on the dash from coming on. did you check the connectors under each front seat? make sure the tensioners work. airbags arent as big of a deal as the tensioners.

Last edited by gearbox; 12-20-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-20-2010
Registered!!

Checked the tensioners, they're fine.

After talking to some people, apparently this is a favorite trick of rebuilders. You solder in a resistor so the SRS unit thinks there's an airbag there.
Old 12-20-2010

mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

it should be the law that they at least tell the buyer.
Old 12-20-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ah okay yeah makes sense considering one airbag is over $500. if oyu really wanted them, you may take a chance on a used bag on ebay so long as it looks new. alot of those were taken from junked cars where the airbag never deployed.
Old 12-21-2010
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gearbox
ah okay yeah makes sense considering one airbag is over $500. if oyu really wanted them, you may take a chance on a used bag on ebay so long as it looks new. alot of those were taken from junked cars where the airbag never deployed.
I wonder how many of the gray market 7th gen driver-side airbags have the exploding-shrapnel-in-your-face recalled inflator.
Old 12-21-2010
Premium Member

ha yeah good point. airbags have always been scary to me. even if they work like normal, it can still cause alot of damage to your face esp if you wear glasses. ive actually thought about disconnecting mine. does anyone know which years of civic had defective bags?
Old 12-21-2010
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...0&summary=true
Old 12-22-2010

my uncle is a mech and he was working on a car, either he most have shorted it, because it opened. scarred the cra@ out of him, lucky no one was working in the cab.

my SRS light comes on when i start the car then turns off right after, is this normal? my tensioners work and the car beeps if i have no seatbelt on. everything is conected under the stock seats.
Old 12-22-2010
Premium Member

its normal for light to come on and then go off as part of the self check. if it never comes on, its prolly bypassed. the seatbelt tensioner there is no way to know if its working til it blows. it locks the seatbelts permanently and they will not retract (requiring complete belt and assembly replacement). so i guess if your seatbelt retracts, its good.
Old 12-25-2010

sounds good then =D
Old 12-25-2010
Registered!!

Leafsfan16 is an unknown quantity at this point

You paid $2000 for a car which usually goes for almost 4x that, you do get what you pay for. Second, it wasnt untill the last 10 years really that almost all cars had airbags, its not the end of the world. The core support would worry me a lot worse.
Old 06-18-2011
Registered!!

This should probably go in the craigslist/eBay thread but, I felt it was more fitting here.

$25 local CL special. They bought it for an earlier wreck and totaled the car before they could install it. lol:
Name:  replacementairbag.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  54.4 KB
Old 06-18-2011
Registered!!

Awesome deal. Congrats!

Did you check to make sure you have a driver side bag? Lol.
Old 06-19-2011
Registered!!

Yeah, it's there. And you can tell it's a replacement as its a slightly different shade of black. lol

It was super easy to replace too. If I didn't have to wait the pre-requisite 3 minutes I could have been done in lees than 10 minutes. Lower the glovebox, remove the 3 nuts, pop it out, pop the new one in, put the 3 nuts back on, pull the resistor, plug it up, and cross fingers it didn't set the SRS light.

EDIT: Good news- it set the SRS light but, I just used the SRS re-set here: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ght-video.html