7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Over heating Help!!!!

Old 07-08-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
msanchez is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Over heating Help!!!!

I have a '02 civic coup 5 speed. It keeps overheating and blowing all the coolant. It seems to be fine on the highway but in city traffic or when i come to stops it will frequently overheat. I have been putting new coolant in on a regular basis but it's getting old.

BTW - I have replaced the radiator cap, and the thermostat in the last year. Also I have seen the fans working here and there so I know they do work...

PLEASE HELP! I am thinking about replacing the thermostat again because everyone says that is the problem but I wanted to ask you guys first.
Old 07-08-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Over heating Help!!!!

try flushing your coolant system and then making sure you adequately bleed the system after refilling it. I had some overheating problems a while back, and replacing the rad cap, thermostat, and coolant flush, fill, and bleed stopped my problems
Old 07-09-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

I doubt it is the thermostat. If it is fine on the highway then the thermostat has to be open and it is not going to close until the engine stops and cools down.
Above about 35 MPH there is enough air flow that the fans are not needed so that may be why you do not overheat on the highway but do when you stop or slow down. You said that you have seen the fans working but are you sure they are on when it is overheating? I think that I would first make sure that the fans are working when they should, not just sometimes. If the fans are fine I would make sure there is no air in the system.
Old 07-09-2010
Registered!!

Ok, How do i determine if the fans are working properly and which part i need to replace if so?
Old 07-10-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by msanchez
Ok, How do i determine if the fans are working properly and which part i need to replace if so?
With the car off:
1)unplug connector going to the fan
2)run a jumper wire from batt+ to one prong of the connector (doesn't matter which prong as it will work either way)
3)run a wire from batt- to the other prong on the connector
Once you touch the second wire to the connector the fan should run (right away because it has only one speed-on/off). DO NOT touch the wires together. I would recommend wires with sheathes over the clips, like this:

http://s808.photobucket.com/albums/z...jumperwire.jpg

If the fan is bad, you need #6 (don't look at the price. lol):

http://www.bkhondaparts.com/billkay/...h&hidIrno=|006

But, I would just find one in the junkyard. Going rate for the fan assembly is about $50. Try craigslist and:

http://www.car-part.com/

Remember to test the fan motor before you buy it: see above mentioned test. Take your cordless drill battery to test as most yards won't let you in with any other type of battery.
Good luck.

Last edited by lazlong; 07-10-2010 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-12-2010
Registered!!

SuperMike is an unknown quantity at this point

when it over heats does it go all the way up or it slowly creeps? if it slowly heats up try turning on the heater to full blast and open your windows..ive had the same problem before...
Old 07-12-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean blowing coolant? out of the overflow reservoir? you have a blown head gasket.
Old 07-12-2010
Registered!!

claythorpe is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similiar problem, changed the thermostat, rad cap and flushed the system, didn't help. Took into a shop and it turns out it was the head gasket. I couldn't believe it, but it was true. You need to do a pressure test.
Old 07-13-2010
Registered!!

when it overheats the gauge goes up fast. I use the heater for a little while but at some point there isn't enough fluid and the heat coming out of the vent goes cold too. You guys are saying head gasket but wouldn't there be oil in the radiator fluid?
Old 07-13-2010
Registered!!

PurpCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

when it overheats the gauge goes up fast. I use the heater for a little while but at some point there isn't enough fluid and the heat coming out of the vent goes cold too. You guys are saying head gasket but wouldn't there be oil in the radiator fluid?
if it was it would be like milkshake and the oil would have a little white in it
Old 07-13-2010
Registered!!

BTW - This problem started as an issue where the reservoir tube was popping off. Now the reservoir`is perpetually full.

I'm gonna check to see where the fluid is coming out. Also, there is no sign of oil issues. This is so confusing...
Old 07-13-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Friend's blazer had the EXACT same symptoms. Check your waterpump.
Old 07-16-2010
Registered!!

remerone is an unknown quantity at this point

This is EXACTLY what was happening to me....it is 100% the HEAD GASKET....had mine fixed....water pump failures are rare....
Old 07-16-2010
Registered!!

remerone is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah it goes up fast when idle...there is no airflow through the vehicle as on the highway....not oil in the radiator fluid, but radiator fluid in the oil...how long have you been been driving the vehicle like that?...you probably have a warped head that needs to be milled...relatively inexpensive..
Old 07-16-2010
Pistol grip pump in my lap at all times

mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough

The reason you dont see milkshake look is because, the cylinder pressure is pushing into your coolant. The hole is probably not big enough to allow coolant into the cylinder, so you wont see much smoke or milkshake look. What you will see is cylinder pressure filling you coolant system and displacing the fluid out the resivior. It happened to me, I fixed it, it happened to tbohar, I told him it was the head gasket, he fixed it. Its the head gasket. For some reason the head gaskets are weak in the d17, cause my new low mileage engine is starting to show signs also. No overheating, just displacing rad fluid... But I know its coming, so Im prepared. You should prepare yourself also.. Make a nice clean spot in you wallet with some of your next check and fix it! Cause it wont go away. Good luck man. Oh and p.s. If you do your head gasket, listen to remerone and get your head milled. It costed me like 30 bucks and two hours of waiting, but it will save your skin in the end! If you do the gasket , put it all back together and the head is still warped, your gonna be BENT!

Last edited by mr22508; 07-17-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-17-2010
Registered!!

nucivicowner is an unknown quantity at this point

Head gasket,,,,had the same thing happen to my daughters 01 civic ex. Multi layer metal head gaskets don't seem to blow out at one time,,,just seep cylinder gasses into coolant. When you have the head milled have them also check the valve guides for you. Buy parts on line and save a few $$. How many miles on the car? Have you replaced timing belt and water pump yet? May be a good time to do all at one time.
Old 07-17-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, 100% sure it's a head gasket. It's not even that hard of a fix so just tackle that first. you should however, find out why the headgasket blew... it usually does not go for no reason. Mine went because my thermostat was leaking and i failed to check the coolant.
Old 07-30-2010
Registered!!

Patrick1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem is that you have fairys shiting fairy dust in your intake.