7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How often does everyone change their ATF?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough
Re: How often does everyone change their ATF?

Bump, and a Q for gearbox. Have you tried the new Honda DW1 ATF? I got my first drain and fill done by the dealership the other day, and apparently that's what they're using now.

I haven't read anyting negative about it yet (fully synthetic, and supposed to have better cold weather protection). Over 100 miles since the service, so far the transmission seems to have less shift shock, or it could be my imagination (it wasn't bad to begin with, seemed as normal as any car, but seems smoother now). I'm also considering another drain and fill before the winter time.
Old 05-13-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

still using z1 and will be for the next change as well. dw1 is eventually replacing it tho so i will have to switch later. my trans isnt doing so great as it is so im not sure what will happen/
Old 05-13-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gearbox
still using z1 and will be for the next change as well. dw1 is eventually replacing it tho so i will have to switch later. my trans isnt doing so great as it is so im not sure what will happen/
Geez, sorry to hear that.

Regarding DW1, I've been reading generally positive things like this, but wanted to see if you used it yet:
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=45012229
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817907

I attached the MSDS and also the Honda Tech Bulletin for the new DW1, in case you haven't seen either, along with pictures of the bottle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ATF_DW-1_Bottle_Front.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	80849   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATF_DW-1_Bottle_Back.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	80850  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Honda DW-1 ATF MSDS.pdf (50.1 KB, 121 views)
Old 05-14-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah ive seen that. the only real difference is the viscosity, and thats what worries me using it with older trans. thinner fluid may work better in ideal conditions (a new transmission) but one that is over 5k miles can be in serious trouble. and honda already has a reputation for pushing thinner fluids to raise gas mileage an insignificant amount based on no real data other than "it works better."

im betting the new fluid should work on most of hondas older "bulletproof" trans in the early 90s, but the 01+ i have my doubts. they dont make em like they used to. esp with all the clutch pack issues on the 7thgen autos, thinner fluid will only cause more problems. i think i may just switch to valvoline maxlife trans fluid when the dealer runs out of z1 here. valvoline says its the only fluid compatible with honda trans and ive never heard of a fail story yet.

Last edited by gearbox; 05-14-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-14-2011
Registered!!

I looked around for the Z1 viscosity, cause you got me interested in it, and these are the numbers I came up with:

ATF-Z1: cSt @100C=7.058, cSt @40C=29.49
DW-1: cSt @100C=6.835, cSt @40C=25.09

Indeed it is a lower viscosity, but I'm not convinced that is a bad thing. Looks about the same at or near operating temps, at 100C the DW-1 is less viscous but not by very much... but at 40C the DW-1 has a significantly different viscosity... to me it indicates better lubrication (and likely shifting performance) at cold start-up temperatures, and possibly increased heat transfer in higher temperatures.

For fun, comparing it to Valvoline MaxLife ATF:
MaxLife: cSt @100C=6.11. cSt @40C=28.18
DW-1: cSt @100C=6.835, cSt @40C=25.09

The MaxLife is thicker at cold temperatures, but thinner at operating temperatures, as compared to the DW-1 fluid. (And still overall less viscous than the Z1, with a significantly thinner profile near operating temps, -0.948cSt).
Old 05-14-2011
Premium Member

that is why i was considering the maxlife. the trans slips when cold but runs fine when hot. so im more worried about the cold viscosity making the trans slip even more.
Old 05-16-2011
200,000 and counting

thesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the rough

these are prolly the worst auto trans honda ever made (01-05 models).

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civic/2001/
Old 05-17-2011
Registered!!

that is why i was considering the maxlife. the trans slips when cold but runs fine when hot. so im more worried about the cold viscosity making the trans slip even more.
My point was that if its slipping when cold, it's slipping when the viscosity of the fluid is high ("thick")... and if it's not slipping when hot, it's not slipping when the viscosity is low ("thin"). My idea was that reduced cold viscosity of DW1 may reduce or prevent slipping, by the same logic.

But there are other characteristics to the fluid besides that. I believe from reading around that DW-1 also has less friction modifiers, which should also decrease slip.

I'm happy with the results of the first drain and fill I did, I plan on driving around awhile to get things mixed up well before doing the next drain & fill (I think I'm gonna order that updated AT dipstick too, 25610-PLX-003, cause that sounds like a good idea).
Old 05-17-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Carnoobie
I have 3 new bottles of dw1 still sitting in my closet that i bought about a month ago. Theres no expiry on these are there? Do you think i should not use it and try to pick up z1? I read on acurazine that using a thinner fluid on our trans is a bad idea..

But then i also read on there that the z1 is fully compatible with d1 and a full flush isnt needed to run d1.

The thing i hate about the current regular honda atf is that the trans always slips when its cold but goes away when warm. Even if its hot out i always baby the tranny when starting cold and people behind me always get mad when im doing 30km.

What do you guys think i should do?
I'm just one guy with an '01 Civic EX, but I changed the ATF with DW1 (one drain and fill so far) and it seems noticibly better so far. Z1 sucks, and now that Honda has finally graced us with a better product, I think it would be weird not to take advantage of it.
Old 05-17-2011
Premium Member

well i will have to try the dw1 eventually if my trans is still going. dealer here is running out of z1 and next year prolly wont have it.
Old 05-18-2011
Premium Member

well thinner oils technically can give slightly better gas mileage, but in many cases can cause problems in hot environments. some of us using 5w20 in the summer for example instead of 5w30 and having leaks/vtec problems.
Old 05-19-2011
Registered!!

Can you tell me what kind of problems a thinner atf may cause?
I don't believe that it will cause any problems. Some might say will cause slipping, but where and how? On the clutch packs, I think you are looking at thin film interactions, so viscosity will not determine the interaction between surfaces (and since honda is claiming better film strength, and I've read that there are reduced friction modifiers, this thinner fluid may in fact be more "grabby" and allow the clutches to more firmly engage). At the torque converter, the reduced viscosity fluid will reduce the power lost to heat due to fluid friction.

In the transmission as a whole, the pump should be able to more efficiently move around the fluid, which should more effectively cool everything.

And how much thinner are we really talking about? When heated to operating temperature, barely any thinner. Only when cool is there a significant difference, and what do we know about fluids that are thinner when cold? They lubricate better, preventing wear that is caused during warm up.

What else is different? Well, this fluid is fully synthetic. That should help the fluid from breaking down prematurely (such as the Z1 did).
Old 05-19-2011
Registered!!

Ok green so you just did one drain and fill right? A flush is 3 right? I would love to do that but was told itsvnot reccommend on our trannys. By doing just one drain and fill how much of the atf inside is actually being replaced by the D1? I was told only 30% of the old atf comes out.

Im at my mechs now getting it done.
Yeah, so far I've just done one drain and fill.
The owner's manual and service manual both say 2.9qt changed during a drain and fill, and 6.3qt capacity.
Here's the replacement chart, assuming 2.9qt drained and replaced, fully mixed after each change, and a 6.3qt total capacity:
1st drain-and-fill: 46.0% New, 54.0% Old
2nd drain-and-fill: 70.9% New, 29.1% Old
3rd drain-and-fill: 84.3% New, 15.7% Old
4th drain-and-fill: 91.5% New, 8.5% Old
5th drain-and-fill: 95.4% New, 4.6% Old

I'm going to go back later this month and do my 2nd drain and fill (after 2nd, it'll be about 70% new). Unfortunately there is diminishing returns with each subsequent change, so the 3x3 method actually leaves in about 15% of the old fluid. So it begs the question, how changed do you want it? Lol. And do I consider 15% old fluid remaining a "flush", I do not.

Also, where the heck did I read there is a 9.0qt capacity and 3.0qt is changed each time... it appears that information is wrong.

Last edited by green01civic; 05-19-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2011
Premium Member

that is the biggest risk. full synthetic fluid tends to loosen old deposits better than conventional. so there is a good chance even a 1/3rd change of dw1 can cause enough old junk to come loose and clog the internal filter. needless to say goodbye trans when that happens. on a new one there is no problem starting with dw1 like honda has chosen to do for 2011.
Old 05-20-2011
Premium Member

not thinner fluid, synthetic fluid. and yeah i see it happen all the time. people put amsoil or mobil trans fluid in their old auto and it breaks down 10k miles later. its not like switching to synthetic for the motor. well it is, but not as serious. anyway when you change the trans fluid, you are only draining 3 qts out of a total of 9 qts.
Old 05-20-2011
Registered!!

not thinner fluid, synthetic fluid. and yeah i see it happen all the time. people put amsoil or mobil trans fluid in their old auto and it breaks down 10k miles later. its not like switching to synthetic for the motor. well it is, but not as serious. anyway when you change the trans fluid, you are only draining 3 qts out of a total of 9 qts.

Are we sure of 9qt? The only thing in writing that I could find is 6.3qt, from both the service manual and the owners manual.
Old 05-20-2011
Premium Member

youre right! my honda service manual says 6.3 too.
Old 05-21-2011
Registered!!

ahhh grrr crap!!!!!! Well since z1 is no longer available then what other options do we have? And like the engine, once you go syn you cant go back right? But wouldnt you think that honda branded atf is much safer than oher brands, synthetic or not?
I think that yes, Honda brand is probably safer. Synthetic base stocks alone have no advantage to "cleaning" vs dino, synthetic base stocks resist breakdown and oxidation. Most good synthetic oils also have a high quality additive package, which gives their superior detergent properties. Right off the bat, ATF is lower in detergents than motor oil (since there's no need to be high detergent, because the transmission never deals with combustion gases, etc.), but I guess that some aftermarket ATF's may be high in detergents. Honda uses a sort of exotic high-magnesium low-phosphorus detergent package, with boron for antiwear.

I am going to make the assumption (without a VOA to back it up, since we don't have one for DW1 yet), that the additive package is if not the same, then likely similar. (As it's mixable in any ratio and quantity, it would only make sense if the constituent components of both were 'compatible', so they likely share similarities, including the additives package).

But I'm only making assumptions cause we don't have lab data (to compare fluids), and we don't have a documented history of people making the switch (to compare results). I'm sure it will all eventually pan out, and I have no trouble sleeping at night after the switch to DW1 :P.

edit: My opinion is that if the transmission was to grenade on the change to DW1, it would have likely grenaded with a Z1 change too.

Last edited by green01civic; 05-21-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-21-2011
Registered!!

Ok thanks, well I guess ill just leave it as is and do my next drain and fill in 8-12 months time when the time comes. Dont want to do it any sooner.

Im still looking to get an AT to MT swap but i cant find anyone locally who is able to do it! I can get all the parts no problem for around $1000CDN or so but man i just cant find any shop that does swaps.

My last resort would be to find a used low milage 05 AT if I can and use that. Reports say theyre much better.
Ok Keep us updated with any differences you notice, positive or negative.
Old 05-21-2011
Registered!!

Too Tall will become famous soon enoughToo Tall will become famous soon enough

Is there any information besides rumor that proves DW-1 is synthetic? If Honda didn't increase change intervals, it can't be that much better.

Noticing an improvement in shifting after changing to DW-1 doesn't prove its any better.

At 27,000 miles on my 07, I changed all the Z-1 out with new Z-1 by doing 3 drain and refills at once. I also noticed an improvement in shifting. In my mind, that demonstrates Z-1 is not a long life fluid, and should not be left in tranny after 30,000 miles of use.

There are so many inconsistent reports about Honda transmissions and after market fluids, none of it makes any sense. I have read reports that Amsoil destroyed the transmsision after 100 miles to others that report doing only one drain and refill with Z-1 every 30,000 miles and getting 130,000 miles on the tranny with no problem.

I did 3 drain and refills of Z-1 to get as much of the contaminates of old oil out as possible. I have since done two drain and refills with Amsoil with about 1000 miles in between to reduce the risk of Amsoil cleaning off two much varnish and glaze too quickly. So far, no problems.
Old 05-21-2011
Registered!!

"The key benefits for the Honda ATF DW-1 are:
• Low Temperature, Lower Viscosity:
- Better lubrication
- Reduced friction at low temperature
- Improved fuel economy
• High Temperature, Stable Viscosity:
- Maintains film thickness
- Improved protection against breakdown
- Full synthetic, high film strength" - According to a Moderator @ ElementOwnersClub.com

Here's a picture of the Canadian bottle, which says "full synthetic" right at the top of it. No idea why the American version wouldn't, but there you go:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j7...8/Image223.jpg

Last edited by green01civic; 05-21-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2011
Registered!!

"The key benefits for the Honda ATF DW-1 are:
• Low Temperature, Lower Viscosity:
- Better lubrication
- Reduced friction at low temperature
- Improved fueleconomy
• High Temperature, Stable Viscosity:
- Maintains film thickness
- Improved protection against breakdown
This means nothing, even the cheapest stuff has the same claims on the bottle.

- Full synthetic, high film strength" - According to a Moderator @ ElementOwnersClub.com
Also means nothing, I didn't see any technical support for his opinion, maybe I missed it.

Here's a picture of the Canadian bottle, which says "full synthetic" right at the top of it. No idea why the American version wouldn't, but there you go:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j7...8/Image223.jpg
That certainly contributes to the confusion.
Old 05-21-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Too Tall
That certainly contributes to the confusion.
I don't think so. It's the same fluid in a different bottle. Want to see the japanese bottle?
http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-parts/t_fluid/

It's a big old school tin! LOL.
Old 05-21-2011
Registered!!

I don't think so. It's the same fluid in a different bottle. Want to see the japanese bottle?

I have no idea what that means, it's written in Japanese. Kind of funny it has English writing on the can. But no claims of synthetic.

Is it possible the Canadian oil was an early version of DW-1 which has now been changed to non-synthetic?

Last edited by Too Tall; 05-21-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Too Tall
Is it possible the Canadian oil was an early version of DW-1 which has now been changed to non-synthetic?
I think it's the same fluid in all three containers, and the labeling and container differences are just a result of market variations.

What would the point be of Honda going back to the base stock of Z1, if they went through all the trouble of coming out with a new formula in the first place. It would also make no sense to have different fluids all called the same thing.
Old 05-22-2011
Premium Member

some people on other forums have said the car shifts smoother and has less lag switching to D from R or P after dw1. ive noticed the same thing when doing a drain and fill with z1. it fades away a week later tho. so that claim prolly isnt true of the dw1 and simply a side effect of adding new fluid.
Old 05-23-2011
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

Guys,

I've been using DW-1 for my wife's CR-V and my Civic for two months. Both received their first drains.

For the CR-V, when shifting to R, I felt it engaged a little harder (I m not sure if i pick the right word) But, so far so good for the CR-V 08. Nothing wrong was noticed.

Alright for my Civic 04, the first drain went well. I did get more Mileage which I am pretty happy. No sign of failure (finger crossed) My civic might have the only one good transmission from Honda : D

So far, I am happy. I think my wife will get the new car so I will have to sell my Civic and drive the K24 on CR-V. However, there will be another 4 months until we have a solid decision about getting new one.

Oh my!! I will miss my little D17. It's a gas saver. The CR-V got around 28 mpg on highway and the gas price is just killing.

Too Tall,

I wish I used Amsoil ATF from the start so I could measure it from the start. Otherwise, there is no fact or evidence to support this theory. I do not know if there is anybody in this forum who uses something else early enough to compare with us.

The funny thing is even synthetic couldn't get rid of the shifting problem in the mid winter. I really hate that. what do you call that again? : )

P.S. the second drains for both vehicles are coming soon. This should tell the different since they will have more than half of the fluid.

Last edited by kbook; 05-23-2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 05-23-2011
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by green01civic

Those tins are very classic. they reminds me of the mineral spirit tins. : )
Old 05-24-2011
Registered!!

Otherwise, there is no fact or evidence to support this theory.
I have 4 theories:

1. Z-1 is not a long life fluid and should not be left in the tranny beyond 30,000 miles.

2. DW-1 may have bit better formulation than Z-1, but if Honda did not significantly increase drain intervals, it still is not as good as the best pure synthetic tranny fluids on the market.

3. Despite the dire warnings that only Z-1 or DW-1 Honda fluids are compatible with Honda transmissions, there have been some reports of guys using different aftermarket brands without problems.

4. A significant number of problems related to Honda transmissions are due to either improper service intervals, improper service techniques, or mixing incompatible fluids. I am including mixing new Amsoil with old, contaminated Z-1 fluid as an incompatibility problem.
Old 05-25-2011
Registered!!

some people on other forums have said the car shifts smoother and has less lag switching to D from R or P after dw1. ive noticed the same thing when doing a drain and fill with z1. it fades away a week later tho. so that claim prolly isnt true of the dw1 and simply a side effect of adding new fluid.
A bit over 1000 miles since my transmission fluid change, and is still noticibly better than before. No idea how long it's gonna take for me to either get used to it or for it to go away, but it's still there. I may do the next one tomorrow or friday.

Quick Reply: How often does everyone change their ATF?