Go Back   Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civics by Generation > 7th Gen
Register Forgot Password?

7th Gen In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic. Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Welcome to civicforums.com!
Welcome to civicforums.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join civicforums.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2004   #1
Registered!!

chaoticmav should not be trusted chaoticmav should not be trusted chaoticmav should not be trusted chaoticmav should not be trusted
Transmission Cooler?

I have read something about there being a cooler that you can get for you transmission to prevent some of the problems the 01' has. Mostly because the entire reason I think the 01 transmission has problems is because of overheating. So what kind of brands are there that are suggeted, and has anyone here put it on there 01' automatic transmission? Is it possible to get a guage for the transmission tempature, to install in your inside cab so u can monitor it?

Last edited by ChaoticMav; 01-30-2004 at 09:15 PM.
chaoticmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004   #2
Registered!!

HomerSimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
I have blown one trans on my 01 Auto LX and the tech at Honda told it was from overheating and recomended getting one. He suggested getting a B&M one, that is what he has in his Civic
HomerSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004   #3
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice CuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice CuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice CuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to CuRiOuSfIsH
Hmm... I should get 1 of those.... and maybe an oil cooler...... have the car run nice and coooool = )
CuRiOuSfIsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004   #4
That is not an ordinary rabbit tis the most foul cruel beast

WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCastle
Lucky I have a 02! However I am in process of getting a big @ss cooler becuase Im going to be boosting that auto soon!
WhiteCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #5
Registered!!

Points: 11,631, Level: 70 Points: 11,631, Level: 70 Points: 11,631, Level: 70
Level up: 96%, 19 Points needed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
mclean987 is an unknown quantity at this point
hi does anyone have a tranny cooler in stalled yet i really think i need a tranny cooler because im runnin 12lbs boost and i race everyday and drive up hills, ive been through 2 trannys and the synchros keep going bad and its all due to heat the tranny runs real hot and the fluid gets hot and its just sitting there its not like the engine oil where it has a filter and pump and filtration system, doesnt anyone on this site have a tranny cooler installed
mclean987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #6
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

R1Style is a glorious beacon of light R1Style is a glorious beacon of light R1Style is a glorious beacon of light R1Style is a glorious beacon of light R1Style is a glorious beacon of light R1Style is a glorious beacon of light R1Style is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean987
hi does anyone have a tranny cooler in stalled yet i really think i need a tranny cooler because im runnin 12lbs boost and i race everyday and drive up hills, ive been through 2 trannys and the synchros keep going bad and its all due to heat the tranny runs real hot and the fluid gets hot and its just sitting there its not like the engine oil where it has a filter and pump and filtration system, doesnt anyone on this site have a tranny cooler installed

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=199352
| RSX-S Axelback |Magnaflow DP | GReddy Midpipe | Injen SRI | Helix TBS | K&N Breather Filter | DC Sports | Neuspeed Race Springs | Spoon Upper Strut Bar | Spoon LowerTieBar | RSX-S 19mm Sway | 18"Velox VX8 | TYC Projectors | Mugen Lip | OEM Sides | Seibon OEM C/F hood | Autometer | Momo Aluminum Shift Knob | RSX-S Leather Shift Boot | Smoked Tails | DIY Reverse Tail Indicator | Pioneer I.C.E. | 05 Sedan Cluster | OEM Floor Mats | OEM Metallic Trim Kit | DIY 4AWG Grounding Kit | "Booty Call Siren" |
R1Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008   #7
Registered!!

joe6680 will become famous soon enough joe6680 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to joe6680
Re: Transmission Cooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCastle View Post
Lucky I have a 02! However I am in process of getting a big @ss cooler becuase Im going to be boosting that auto soon!
the 01 and the 02 have the same transmission I believe...
joe6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008   #8
Registered!!

twiztedD17A1 is just really nice twiztedD17A1 is just really nice twiztedD17A1 is just really nice twiztedD17A1 is just really nice twiztedD17A1 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to twiztedD17A1

look into an 04-05 stock trans cooler raidator we have em.
twiztedD17A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #9
Registered!!

Points: 1,507, Level: 22 Points: 1,507, Level: 22 Points: 1,507, Level: 22
Level up: 7%, 93 Points needed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 7.7%
Activity: 7.7% Activity: 7.7% Activity: 7.7%
emicha is an unknown quantity at this point

Automatic Transmissions
OIL TEMPERATURE MEASURED AT CONVERTER OUTLET TO COOLER:
300 F= The maximum allowable temperature. This is the recommended place to install a temperature gauge or sensor. Do not allow the converter outlet temperature to exceed 300 F. The temperature at this location will vary significantly because of load, hill climbing, etceteras. If the temperature reaches 300 F, reduce throttle. To lower transmission temperature with transmission in neutral, run the engine at 1,200 RPM for at least 2 - 3 minutes while keeping a close check for signs of engine overheating. A transmission in a heavy throttle, stall condition (a typical situation is rocking a vehicle stuck in mud, sand, or snow), may increase temperature at a rate of 1 degree per second of stall.
OIL TEMPERATURE MEASURED AT OIL PAN OR SUMP:
150 F= The minimum operating temperature. Note: It is possible in low ambient temperatures to overcool the transmission with auxiliary oil to air coolers. Oil to water coolers in standard factory radiators will normally not overcool a transmission.

175-200 F= Normal pan oil temperature operating range.

275 F= Maximum allowable oil pan temperature for short durations during long hill climbs.

300 F= Damage occurs to internal transmission parts, including warpage of metal parts, degradation of clutches, and melting of seals. Transmission oil oxidizes, (forming varnish-like substances causing further clutch slippage and compounding heat build up) and transmission oil life is extremely short.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID LIFE / TEMPERATURE RELATIONSHIP:
Automatic transmission oil can provide up to 100,000 miles of service before oxidation requires replacement, at an operating temperature of 175 F. Above this temperature, the oil oxidation rate doubles with each 20 degrees F increase in oil temperature. See chart.
DEGREES F MILES DEGREES F MILES
175 100,000 295 1,500
195 50,000 315 750
215 25,000 335 325
235 12,500 355 160
255 6,250 375 80
275 3,125 395 40
Note: Transmission oil and filter should always be changed more frequently when driving with heavy loads (RVs), typically at least every 25,000 mile intervals, since converter outlet temperatures then normally far exceed the ideal 175 F.
emicha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010
CivicForums
Honda Civic

Paid Advertisement

Tags
04 , 2001 , 2002 , 2004 , 2005 , 7th , 93 , civic , cooler , honda , kit , lx , oem , trans , transmission