8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Acceleration problem or is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mikey91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Acceleration problem or is this normal?

Hello
i recently bought a 2009 Civic DX with around 85000 miles on it.
The car so far has no issues, I just notice that in some cases if I'm going up the road or entering the highway it takes forever to accelerate, I used to own a 2001 Ford Taurus and even though it was really bad it would accelerate better.

The problem I'm having is that I will have to hit the gas pad really hard for it to shift down, usually it will remain on the 4th gear and no matter how long I'm pressing the gas it will not shift down until I press really hard on the gas pad, only then it will shift down but it also makes me feel like I'm killing the engine because the RPM goes up to 5000 or more.

Not sure if this is normal, and again I have only driven the Ford Taurus before that so I can't tell whether Japanese cars are like that compared to American cars.

One more thing to add, I don't think there's a problem with the transmission, it usually shifts smoothly.

I also have another question, how accurate is the oil life sensor? And when should I oil based on the percentage? Right now I'm at %40 with around 4000 miles since I last changed oil (conventional).

Last edited by Mikey91; 03-03-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-03-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Acceleration problem or is this normal?

It's got a small engine with far less power than the Taurus. It has to rev the engine high in order to make power you request of it.....and it will never match the power of a 3.0 or whatever it had. Get used to accelerating slower LOL.

Maint minder is based on a model, it relies entirely on the use of correct spec products, it has no way to directly monitor anything on the car. (This means you have to check your own oil levels too.)
If correct spec oil is used, the minder is fairly accurate, but if you get oil changed by someplace that dumps in whatever cheapest 5w20 they can get (or worse), then the minder becomes pointless.
Old 03-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mikey91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
It's got a small engine with far less power than the Taurus. It has to rev the engine high in order to make power you request of it.....and it will never match the power of a 3.0 or whatever it had. Get used to accelerating slower LOL.

Maint minder is based on a model, it relies entirely on the use of correct spec products, it has no way to directly monitor anything on the car. (This means you have to check your own oil levels too.)
If correct spec oil is used, the minder is fairly accurate, but if you get oil changed by someplace that dumps in whatever cheapest 5w20 they can get (or worse), then the minder becomes pointless.
Cool thank you for the info, I don't really mind accelerating slower slower,I always try to avoid high revs but sometimes like when I'm entering the highway I guess I can't avoid it.

So the oil life is based on a specific oil brand correct? I do my oil change at Firestone, not sure if their oil type is good or not. I'm considering to start getting my maintenance at the Honda dealership. But I'm not sure how the prices are gonna be. I'm gonna get an oil change, replace the oil filter and possibly drain and change the transmission fluid. Do you have an idea how the prices are gonna be for those services? Thank you
Old 03-03-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikey91
So the oil life is based on a specific oil brand correct?
Not any particular brand, but certain qualities. Brand alone doesn't mean squat. Almost every brand will have several very similar appearing products that do and don't meet specs.

Specifications dictate the desired qualities, and qualities are indicated by various ratings.

There might be 50 different companies selling bottles of SAE 5w20 oil, and each company might offer 5-20 DIFFERENT products each bearing 5w20 on the label. Ratings such as API, ILSAC, and ACEA make all the difference.

Literally every vehicle manufacturer dictates far more stringent oil specifications than a plain-Jane grocery store oil will meet. The alphabet soup above makes or breaks the oil product.

(It's f'n mind boggling unless you're really into it)

Bathroom reading?
http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/i...owtopic=516282
http://blog.uslube.com/quick-guide-t...specifications
http://www.pqiamerica.com/

This isn't the 60s anymore, this isn't your grandpas oil, these aren't your grandpas cars.
Lubrication technology has advanced at an exponential rate over the last several decades, and it has to to keep up with constantly evolving engineering demands.
Fluids are 'application engineered' now, there isn't any 'one size fits all' these days.

The oils we had 20-30 years ago could cause a lot of problems in todays engines, but you might buy that very same oil today if you don't know what to look for.....

======================

You mentioned trans fluid.........that just adds more stuff to boggle the mind LOL
Hondas newest approved ATF is called DW-1.

I'm considering to start getting my maintenance at the Honda dealership. But I'm not sure how the prices are gonna be.

I'm gonna get an oil change, replace the oil filter and possibly drain and change the transmission fluid. Do you have an idea how the prices are gonna be for those services?
Call and ask.

The price of an oil change at my dealer is on par with just about any other JizzyLube place in town....and I know that correct products are used without question. (not all dealers are the same though, ask them questions if you want to know something there)

JizzyLubes (and chain stores) don't make their money selling quality.