8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Question about a civic's headlights.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mmorton89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question about a civic's headlights.

Hello, I saw this civic on youtube today (I think its a mugen) and i noticed his headlights had this blue, purple and redish color to them in certain angles.

It looks like when you blow a bubble from soapy water and they have that blueish color at certain angles in the light.

I really like this look and was hoping you guys could help me figure out what this is.

Is it a tint of some kind? Maybe some wax/cleaning product he used on the headlights?

I'm in the market for new headlights on my civic and would love to figure out what this is. Thanks for you help, here is the video link so you can see for yourself.

(2:15 has a great shot of what I'm talking about)

Last edited by mmorton89; 01-16-2017 at 05:27 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 01-16-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: Question about a civic's headlights.

Originally Posted by mmorton89
Hello, I saw this civic on youtube today (I think its a mugen) and i noticed his headlights had this blue, purple and redish color to them in certain angles.

It looks like when you blow a bubble from soapy water and they have that blueish color at certain angles in the light.

I really like this look and was hoping you guys could help me figure out what this is.

Is it a tint of some kind? Maybe some wax/cleaning product he used on the headlights?

I'm in the market for new headlights on my civic and would love to figure out what this is. Thanks for you help, here is the video link so you can see for yourself.
Likely just haze from whatever wax/polish he has on his lenses. It is like oil rainbows in a rain puddle. Also I wouldn't be surprised to find that he has "blue bulbs" in his reflectors. This causes some amount of blue reflections by itself.

You do NOT want blue bulbs in your car. It doesn't matter what you have read, it doesn't matter what the guy down the street has, it doesn't matter what the guy at the parts store tells you about them. I recently had a customers 06-11 SI in the shop. At 10 feet you could barely see his headlamps shining on a white door. My single flashlight would be safer to use as a headlamp than that cars 2 headlamp were. The blue filters out most of the usable light and IS dangerous to other drivers.

The science for this is here.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...e/bad/bad.html

including this link which includes blue bulbs that don't downright suck
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...good/good.html

If you want truly world class headlamp performance you can discount 95% of the products on the internet, most are dangerous at best. You can research HID projector retrofits or have an installer perform it for you.

Here is an example of a proper HID retrofit on a civic
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/diy-h...gen-civic.html

A great resource for projector retrofits are "hidplanet.com" and "theretrofitsource.com" The first site is a forum and the second site is a supplier with a great track record and I have dealt with them numerous time without trouble. Keep in mind that technically HID projector retrofits are illegal and so are all bulbs that are not white or yellow in color.
Old 01-16-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about a civic's headlights.

I will second the vouch for theretrofitsource.com. Excellent products and excellent customer service.

Also, the bit about aftermarket HIDs being illegal. Technically, yes, they are, but that was deemed as such because people kept thinking HIDs are plug and play, and just slapped them into their OEM reflector headlights. This causes massive amounts of glare, and poses dangers to other drivers. I have a TSX retrofit in my headlights, and have not had any issues with law enforcement because my headlights have a proper cutoff.

case in point, refer to the image I found by searching google
Name:  4cxmEop.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  164.8 KB

Top shows a massive amount of scattered light that would invariably shine into other drivers' eyes. The bottom shows a proper retrofit with a fantastically sharp cutoff.

Back to OP about the iridescence of the civic in question's headlights, very, very likely due to a wax/finish that the owner applied to the headlights, coupled with the lighting conditions.