8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Custom Shifter (like a Hurst)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob Pandolfo is an unknown quantity at this point
Custom Shifter (like a Hurst)

I have a 2015 Civic LX with a 5 speed manual transmission. Sometimes on cold days the clutch drags a bit going into first gear. I like the car but even when it doesn't drag, I'm not crazy about the clutch. I wonder if anyone ever installed a Hurst shifter or something like that in one of these civics, and if it improved the shifting. Or would I have to replace the clutch and shifter to get a better shift?
Old 01-11-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Custom Shifter (like a Hurst)

Sounds like you want a bit of a "harsher" engagement. You can drop in a stage 1 clutch/pressure plate, and that'll give the clutch a bit more bite. A stage 1 will also have a pressure plate with more spring pressure, so it'll give the clutch a heavier feel.

As far as shifter feel, I've never felt a hurst, but if you want a less spongy feel to the shifter, you can start with the shift linkage/shifter assembly bushings. Change out from rubber bushings to aluminum. I'm not too familiar with the availability of shifter bushings for the 8th/9th gen civics, but in my 7thgen (2002), my aluminum bushings took a good amount of the play out of the shifter.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 01-11-2017 at 01:56 PM. Reason: added a small bit of info ("shift linkage" to "shift linkage/shifter assembly")
Old 01-11-2017
Registered!!

Thank you, that sounds logical.
Old 01-11-2017
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Have you thought about just fixing the Sometimes on cold days the clutch drags a bit going into first gear problem. Sounds like you need a new slave or clutch master cylinder but surely not on a 2015. Just what does a clutch drags a bit going into first gear problem mean?
Old 01-11-2017
Registered!!

When I brought the car into the dealership they told me they can't fix it if it's not having the problem that day, and it wasn't. It's hard to explain but basically, after I put the car in first gear and hit the gas it feels like the clutch is not fully engaged. It only happens on cold days and can go weeks without happening.

The shifter/clutch is the only thing I don't like about the 2015 Honda Civic I have. It's not very sporty and takes away from the overall driving experience. As for the drag, it's annoying. I have a three year lease which expires in March of 2018. I would consider buying the vehicle but only if I can put in a better shifter and it's not too expensive.
Old 01-11-2017
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Guess you are saying once in gear, and the clutch is out, the tac spools up without a correspond speed increase? If so, that's not good. If that truly is happening, don't be ******* it like that. Clutches last a long time when they engage. But if it's slipping, it will sure not last very long
Old 01-11-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Shift linkage bushings, $32.99

Shifter base bushings, $28.99

And, if you want a shorter throw while shifting, here's a short shifter (full assembly drop-in replacement) for $133.95