Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Water Pump Service ?

Old 11-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
planet is an unknown quantity at this point
Water Pump Service ?

Hello,

I have a 2007 Honda Civic and it is close to 100K miles now. Recently when I did the oil change in Honda dealer, I was recommended to do the Water Pump service and got $500 quota from Honda dealer.

I checked with a Tires Plus store nearby and got $310 quota for this service.

Is the Water Pump service a complicated work that is better done in the dealer, or I can just do this service in the store like Tires Plus?

Thank you!
Old 11-29-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Water Pump Service ?

IMO I'd replace ONLY if the pump is leaking.
Get another opinion, see for yourself if there is leakage or evidence of leakage (colored crustys emanating from the weep hole)

IMO the pumps have been pretty damn reliable here as long as Honda coolant is used (or coolant meeting the same specs). I'd suspect that if there's a coolant leak, it's more likely to be a cracked block (search that if you want more info). I've replaced 10x more blocks than water pumps on that engine.
Old 11-30-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
planet is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the information.

I didn't see the leakage or evidence of leakage. I might get it to be checked in an auto repair store.
Old 11-30-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by planet
Thanks for the information.

I didn't see the leakage or evidence of leakage. I might get it to be checked in an auto repair store.
Maybe the dealership can raise the car and show you exactly where the water pump is leaking.
If I note a genuine problem I have no qualms doing this for a customer.

Make sure you know it's true status before you go back in there though.

Search this Thread