8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Would you buy a used Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
john10001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Would you buy a used Civic?

Would you buy a used Honda Civic? Are there any issues I should be aware of when considering one?

I am looking to buy a used car at the moment. Budget £3-5k. Hoping to spend £4k. As little as possible. Have been looking at Civics from '07 onwards.

When I look on Autotrader I notice quite a few Civics for the years 2010 and 2011 that are CAT C and D.

Are there any issues I should be aware of about the Civic that is causing them to be too costly to repair?

After my last car a French one which was recently scrapped I want to avoid similar issues which is why I have mostly been looking at buying a Japanese car that is more reliable. All these CAT C and D Civics for sale though set alarm bells ringing.

Besides the Civic I have also been considering an Auris, Mazda 3, 1 Series, Focus and Astra.
Old 10-23-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Would you buy a used Civic?

Sure. Research research research.
Use google to check for known big problems with any car you are interested in.
You will always be able to find people whining about something, but pay attention to how many stupid complaints are made by wishy-washy flakes, and how many might really be legitimate problems to watch out for.

If you aren't mechanically inclined it may be to your advantage to have a professional perform a PRE-purchase inspection before you make a final decision.
Narrow your choices down to one or two cars, then before you make a final commitment....get the inspection (If the seller will allow it).

It should cost a bit for a decent inspection by a pro that is competent and observant, and hopefully is familiar with the car line and known issues to look for.

If it saves you from making a huge mistake, it's money well spent.
If it uncovers some issues the car needs, that gives you some bargaining power when talking prices.
If it determines the car is in good shape, it gives you some peace of mind.

Of course none of us have a crystal ball, we can't predict the future and we don't have x-ray vision.

HTH
Old 10-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Yes, look for detailed maintenance records / log. Main high $ items to verify are transmission shift well during you test drive. Engine, good compression, blue smoke at idle and have a friend observe the exhaust as you throttle it and immediately let off the gas, if the engine is worn bad a puff a blue smoke will come out.
Old 10-29-2016
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 08 DX Civic 5 speed that I bought used with 114,000km"s
and its absoultly been a Joy to own...! its currently reaching 180,000
Canadian kms with Zero issues what so ever to report on. Civics have
been around forever I must say they truly are reliable

everyday vehicles for driving. john I notice the Euro
dollar sign from your posting, I'm guessing your from some
part of Europe? oh,.. almost forgot the answer is YES I would buy
a used Civic I also would take the advise from the previouse posts.

Last edited by brags; 10-29-2016 at 05:51 PM.