8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

NEW MEMBER looking for suggestions Hybrid purchase

Old 08-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jdeday is an unknown quantity at this point
NEW MEMBER looking for suggestions Hybrid purchase

Hello All,

I recently found a 2009 Hybrid for sale with 138K on the clock. I test drove the vehicle and I discovered two issues:

1. Vibration from front at speeds above 50 MPH, tires or other issues that surface at 138K?

2. TPMS light is on

3. The Hybrid Battery was replaced at 74K in 2012, do you think the battery will need replaced again at 148K?

Other than that it appears to be a decent vehicle.

My questions is, at 138K and have never owned a Honda is there still like in this vehicle. Your opinions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Old 08-30-2016
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: NEW MEMBER looking for suggestions Hybrid purchase

Recommend taking it to a mechanic that specializes in Hondas for a pre-purchase inspection if you can. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything if I see warning lights.
Old 08-30-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NEW MEMBER looking for suggestions Hybrid purchase

Originally Posted by jdeday
1. Vibration from front at speeds above 50 MPH, tires or other issues that surface at 138K?
Nope, nothing ever goes wrong at 138k. Everything fails at 137,500...... and the owner isn't bothered enough to fix it.

Seriously, tire balance? Choppy tread?
If YOU don't know, then take it to a pro.

For much of the issues you may encounter with the car, take it to a pro who is intimately familiar with the cars.
Most average mechanics won't be able to do anything with the hybrid systems on the car.

2. TPMS light is on
Probably needs one or more tire pressure sensors. Sometimes people break them when replacing tires. Sometimes the sensor will just go bad or the internal battery dies.

A pro could diagnose this and give more accurate assessment.

3. The Hybrid Battery was replaced at 74K in 2012, do you think the battery will need replaced again at 148K?
Doubt it---- if the replacement came from Honda. Replacement battery pack should be an improved type if it came from Honda at that time.

My questions is, at 138K and have never owned a Honda is there still like in this vehicle. Your opinions are welcomed.
Don't pay a premium price just because it's a hybrid. It's not worth any premium.

I have a 08 at work getting a new IMA battery, it's got about 36k on it.
I have an 06 at work getting a new IMA battery, it's got 200k on it.
Both cars are really in fairly decent shape, and one has a little rust.
One owner got his moneys worth out of the car, that's for sure....and is willing to plunk down a chunk to put another IMA battery in it.
The other owner will never recoup the money from the premium price paid for a hybrid, they don't drive it near enough.

Lastly: PRE-purchase inspection. What can a real, seasoned experienced Honda tech find wrong with the car?