8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

P2610 - P/ECM Internal Engine Off Timer Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rdtk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
This is my first post and it is for a friends 2008 Honda civic and he doesn't know much about cars and I am just trying to help him out. I also dont own a Honda and would appreciate any help or suggestions.

His check engine light came on solid and I scanned it with my torque app via bluetooth and got this code. After I read code and did not clear code he restarted the car and the light turned off. I scanned again and found code and cleared the code. he restarted his car again and the light remained off but when i did the scan again, the code was still there.

I did a couple searched but couldn't find anything specific to the 2008 civic coupe, maybe a DX. One post for a 98 accord stated that this was a generic mis-fire code. I know he is probably due for spark plug replacement (140,000km) and needs a new battery. I haven't had time but will be checking battery and ecu connectors for anything that could cause a short or disconnect of power. If we go as far as replacing spark plugs, I'll be visually checking the coil packs and wiring for damage or corrosion.

Any other ideas? Am I on the wrong path??

Thank you very much for any comments!!!!
Old 08-18-2016
Registered!!

Re: P2610 - P/ECM Internal Engine Off Timer Performance

what type of spark plugs should be used? is the engine sensative or should any plug that an auto parts store be fine?
Old 08-18-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Correct definition for the code: PCM Internal Engine Off Timer Malfunction.
(NOT a misfire code)

The only real hit I found has to do with PCM main ground (G101) bolted on the end of the cylinder head, corrosion/loose/cross threaded, probably accompanied by a no-start situation, and usually following major engine work that involved disturbing that particular ground.
EDIT: I guess that means one should confirm all engine and PCM grounds are in fact good

Otherwise, troubleshooting is pretty dang short: confirm fault code repeats after clearing, update PCM if possible and recheck, substitute known good PCM and see if fault goes away.
I know, it's not very easy for the DIYer to swap a PCM and program it so the engine can run.

what type of spark plugs should be used?
Not any old parts pusher crap.

Use the same ones the factory installed in it. Your only choices for the 1.8 engine should be:
NGK IZFR6K-11S
DENSO SKJ20DR-M11S

They are 100,000 mile interval plugs, and really unless they get fouled for some odd reason, they wear so slowly they could outlast the car without significant wear of the electrodes.

Last edited by ezone; 08-18-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-19-2016
Registered!!

there as not been any major work done besides oil changes and I fixed his ac last summer.

so I guess we will check all connects around ecm and battey amd replace battery and clear code. if it comes back he will take to dealer