8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Alignment Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
johnsonrod is an unknown quantity at this point
Alignment Needed?

I recently had my 2008 Honda engine replaced on warranty due to a cracked block. It was installed by the local Honda dealer and they also replaced an axle that showed signs of wear. 600 miles later my almost new 80k mile Bridestone Potenza tires needed replacement due to abnormal wear.

Should the car have had wheel alignment after an axle and engine were replaced? I had the tires rotated just prior to the engine/axle replacement and they were fine.
Old 07-18-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alignment Needed?

needed replacement due to abnormal wear.
What exactly was this "abnormal" wear?
Old 07-18-2016
Registered!!

Outside shoulder wear on all four tires.
Old 07-18-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnsonrod
Outside shoulder wear on all four tires.
All work done was on the front end of the car.
How would you expect that to cause rear tires to wear abnormally?

Hmmmm?

===========================================

Seems like your tire issues may have existed prior to the engine work.

Someone noticing tire wear shortly after the engine work does not automatically mean you can point the finger of blame at whomever touched the car last.

Has a 4 wheel alignment been done to correct the current issue? What were the 'before and after' readings of the camber/caster/toe, for all 4 wheels?

FYI I haven't seen an alignment issue after doing one of the Civic engine block replacement jobs, but I can't speak for anyone else who may not do the work the same way I do it. The service information for the engine work does not specifically state to align the wheels as part of the engine job.

HTH
Old 07-18-2016
Registered!!

I'm out of my element with alignment. Yes, I put on new Michelin tires and had a 4-wheel alignment done. The alignment print out has Actual/Before/Specified Range readings. Which are you asking about, before and actual?
Old 07-18-2016

Which are you asking about, before and actual?
Yes. Post a picture of the printout?

Curious to see how far the alignment was off after the engine work was done, if it was significant or not.
(Keep in mind someone who knows what they are doing can manipulate the numbers.)

And to see the numbers for the rear which would have not been touched during the engine work.

Are you the ONLY driver of the car?
Old 07-18-2016
Registered!!

Actually, I hope it isn't a "woman driver" problem. My fiance drives the car but says she hasn't jumped any curbs lately. She's a "reasonably" responsible 47-year old.

I took a picture but can't figure how to post it? I saved to my hard drive. sorry, duh.
Old 07-18-2016

hasn't jumped any curbs lately.
Lately? LOL.
I took a picture but can't figure how to post it? I saved to my hard drive. sorry, duh.
I use an image hosting service like tinypic or imigur. Upload the pic there then post the link (URL) to it here, using the 'insert image' icon above the text reply box.

Or...From the FAQ: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/f...b3_attachments
Old 07-18-2016
Registered!!

Thanks. I think I attached a jpg file of the picture but don't see the icon.

She is actually a very good driver. Now if she let her daughter use the car, well...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Alignment 002.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	88941  
Old 07-18-2016

I see a bunch of toe-in that isn't explained by the engine job (rear is excessive as well as the front).
Toe-IN can cause wear of the outside shoulders of the tires.

I see someone went to a lot of trouble to change the camber on both front wheels. Did they mention doing this, or needing hardware (special bolts) to make this change?

Possible previous alignment job errors?
Wear and tear, winter, potholes, curb, etc.?
Old 07-18-2016
Registered!!

Boy, you sound like you know your stuff. The mention of "special bolts" brings back memories. I'll have to look at my Civic file. There may have been previous work. I bought the car new but was surprised that I have gone thru three axles at 141k miles. I believe the first two were replaced or compensated in part by warranty.

I think at this point if you think I'm ok w/ new tires, and a new alignment, and I don't have a particular party that screwed up, I'll just hope for the best down the road?

I very much appreciate your insights. I will look at my records regarding previous repair/alignments.
Old 07-19-2016

but was surprised that I have gone thru three axles at 141k miles.
I saw a few of those cars that had noisy CV joints fairly early in life, but 3 replacements seems unusual. What were the circumstances behind the replacements?

I think at this point if you think I'm ok w/ new tires, and a new alignment, and I don't have a particular party that screwed up, I'll just hope for the best down the road?
That's about all you can do at this point.
Check tire pressures and air up whenever needed, and rotate tires on a regular basis.

Now that it has been aligned and new tires are on it:
Take the car for a test drive (preferably by yourself at first), note if the steering wheel is perfectly level while driving in a straight line on a level road, and it doesn't pull to either side. Mentally note that for future reference.

Drive again with spouse in the car. Mentally note if wheel is still level and no pull.
Note again for future reference.

Drive the car periodically, and note steering wheel position whenever you drive.
If there is ever a significant change from level, something is probably wrong.
Old 07-19-2016
Registered!!

Thanks again for insights on checking alignment/issues. I will certainly be watching it more closely after this expensive issue.

I think the first two cv joints were replaced due to increasing clicking while turning and I brought it to the Honda dealers attention. The last one came this past March when the engine was changed out. The Honda dealer called me to say one of the axles was "going" which I guess meant starting to leak or something. Anyway, they felt it would be failing shortly and as long as they were "in there working on it" they made the repair at a substantial cost savings to me. In fact I think they only charged me $10 which seems odd because their cost on the part must have been more than that. But in any event I had it replaced and it has been fine since.
Old 07-19-2016

In fact I think they only charged me $10 which seems odd because their cost on the part must have been more than that.
I don't know about the parts cost, but labor should have been minimal.

Maybe an extra couple tenths of labor time to remove the nut and drive the shaft out of the hub (and reinstall the new one), the other hard stuff was already out of the way when the engine and trans were dropped out of the engine compartment.