8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Actuators or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rawr.monsters is an unknown quantity at this point
Actuators or something else?

I have an 8th gen. 2009 Honda Civic, and lately the power locks haven't been working. When I first got the car, I had a bad habit of clicking the keyless remote about 4-5 times whenever I locked the car. This caused the batteries in my first remote to die quickly, and then the remote itself ended up breaking completely. I'm about 7 months into my new remote with fresh working batteries, and now, the doors won't lock or unlock. Inside the door, the lock/unlock buttons are not working on the driver or passenger side. I replaced a fuse on the interior fusebox: No. 25 - 20A. This didn't seem to change anything. I'm thinking it's the actuators or an electrical/wiring issue. Thanks!

Edit: One more thing... As I'm driving, I can hear the driver door trying to lock itself whenever I stop and go.

Last edited by Rawr.monsters; 02-28-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-28-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Actuators or something else?

As I'm driving, I can hear the driver door trying to lock itself whenever I stop and go.
Clue. Usually this means the system doesn't 'see' the door as already being locked, so it keeps trying to lock it.

If you unlock all the doors, is the system able to lock it when you reach 9 MPH (or whatever the speed is)?
Do the other doors lock when you reach 9 MPH?

Coupe or sedan?

Inside the actuator there is a lock motor and two separate switches. Got a wiring diagram and DVOM?
Old 02-28-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rawr.monsters is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Clue. Usually this means the system doesn't 'see' the door as already being locked, so it keeps trying to lock it.

If you unlock all the doors, is the system able to lock it when you reach 9 MPH (or whatever the speed is)?
Do the other doors lock when you reach 9 MPH?

Coupe or sedan?

Inside the actuator there is a lock motor and two separate switches. Got a wiring diagram and DVOM?
It's a 4 door sedan. When I reach 9mph, it tries to lock the doors but they remain unlocked. No, I don't have a DVOM.
Old 02-28-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rawr.monsters
It's a 4 door sedan. When I reach 9mph, it tries to lock the doors but they remain unlocked. No, I don't have a DVOM.
Let me see if I understand this:

You say the car will try to lock the doors and you can hear this happen, but when you push the lock button on the window switch panel by hand there is no sound at all?

What happens if you manually lock the doors by hand, then use the power lock button or remote to unlock them?

Can you manually lock the drivers door, is the linkage/latch/cable jammed?

Have you tried sticking the key in the door and twist to lock?
Does this action lock all the doors?

Twist to unlock and hold it there for 3 seconds?
Does that unlock all the doors?

I'm trying to figure out if the power locks CAN work but the car is not letting them do what you want, or if the power locks cannot work at all.
I want to know if the little electric lock motor in each door is strong enough to move the linkages and latches. Lock the doors by hand and see if the power locks will unlock them.

If this was in the shop, before doing anything else, I'd connect my scanner to the car and see if I can read the state of each internal switch in the lock actuator, and check if the power lock buttons all register as doing what they are supposed to do. See if the system can be commanded to run the lock motors through the scanner.
I'd have a DVOM and a wiring diagram and do my checking at the drivers door lock connector.
If I had to SWAG without any more accurate info I'd guess the drivers lock actuator could be the problem but there's an awful lot of info I don't have.