8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Steering noise 2008 civic

Old 01-15-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercerguy323 is an unknown quantity at this point
Steering noise 2008 civic

Starting to notice a sound from my steering when I am traveling at low speeds or idling and I turn the steering wheel. It's not a clicking sound but a crunching sound similar to a creeking Household door being opened slowly. Does the steering require some sort of maintenance/lubrication? 78K on car. Thx
Old 01-15-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steering noise 2008 civic

There's an awful lot of stuff that can make noise.
Listen and feel to figure out where the noise originates from. Once you know where it comes from, then you can figure out what to do about it.

Strut tops?
Old 01-15-2016
Registered!!

Yeah I know. It just started yesterday. It's like a creeking door opening in a horror movie. On another note, I've been hearing a semi wobbling sound coming from the left front tire at around 50 MPH. Almost an out of balance wo wo wo sound. Suppose the two issues are related and this is a later stage, 2nd symptom of the same thing? It's been making that sound for 2 months now. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

wo wo wo sound
Tread chop/tire noise? (they are very well known for doing this to the rear tires)

Wheel bearing?

Colonel Mustard, in the conservatory, with a lead pipe?

Suppose the two issues are related and this is a later stage, 2nd symptom of the same thing?
Not until you solve the mystery, have the answers for both issues and compare.
Old 01-15-2016
Registered!!

The wo wo sound started after rotating the tires. The car goes to Honda Monday for the steering sound. Let you know.
Old 01-15-2016

The wo wo sound started after rotating the tires.
THAT should be choppy tread.
Inboard edges of the tires, probably every other block of tread is worn high-low-high-low. Or random blocks on the edge. Occasionally they can get flat spots across the face of the tread.

They wore choppy and got noisy on the rear, but when you move them to the front it gets really noticeable.

It might sound like a helicopter if they are really bad. LOL
Old 01-26-2016
Registered!!

Steering noise went away but returned shortly. Took car to Honda. Tech said it needs a new power steering pump based on 2 things:

1. After dipping his finger in the power steering fluid reservoir he said the fluid smells burnt.

2. Even more incriminating, he said you should see the fluid move/swirl when looking down into the reservoir while the car is running. He watched, I turned the steering wheel. Then he showed me where the fluid wasn't moving in the reservoir at all.

They are installing a new power steering pump Thursday.

I never changed the fkuid. Honda says every 3 years is a good schedule. Also said I should change the brake fluid. That was never changed. I DID however do the antifreeze and transmission fluid.
Old 01-26-2016

Originally Posted by mercerguy323
They are installing a new power steering pump Thursday.
Update us when it gets replaced.