8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

How to adjust cruise control increments and aggression?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smovic is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How to adjust cruise control increments and aggression?

The cruise control in my 2012 Civic really bugs me.

If I try to adjust the car's speed using the +/- buttons, it reacts either way too weakly (Eco mode on) or way too aggressively (Eco mode off). If I have Eco mode on, it takes FOREVER to speed up . If I have Eco mode off, the car jerks forward and the fuel consumption spikes massively . If I'm in hilly country, I can't use cruise control because with Eco mode, it gives up and disengages, or with Eco off, it wastes fuel horribly. I'd be so happy if I could either boost the aggression of Eco mode or tell the non-Eco mode to chill out a bit so that one of the settings is useful.

Also, it'd be nice if I could have the speed adjustments in km/hr instead of mph. It's always so annoying when I'm trying to pin it on 80km/hr, and it leapfrogs back and forth between 79 and 81 (because 1 mph = 1.6 km/hr).

Is there any way to adjust these settings? I assume it'd be done through the computer system somehow (not the one you can access on the car's computer screen... the one you need to plug into somehow that gives your pollution readings, etc)

Last edited by smovic; 01-10-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to adjust cruise control increments and aggression?

I know a single tap on set or resume will raise our lower set speed one MPH(?)....Is your Speedo set on MPH or KPH? IDK if that makes any difference but I figured I'd ask.
I don't know if there's an answer for it.

FWIW I believe the PCM 'thinks' in metric first. Data such as temperature is converted from C to F on a scanner so I assume the rest of the data also begins as metric..

There is nothing related to cruise that can be altered by a scanner at a dealer.
Cruise is all controlled by the PCM.

Check owners manual for cruise info, IIRC it may act different depending on if ECON is on or not.
Old 01-10-2016
Registered!!

My speedo is set in km/hr, but the cruise control still works in mph (5 taps = 8km/hr (5mph)).

Yes, the cruise control behaves different with Eco on or off. My issue is that I don't like either setting, they are both too extreme (one reacts too slowly, the other overreacts), so I am hoping to be able to adjust one of them to something reasonable, so I can speed up using the buttons without it taking 30 seconds to go from 70 to 80 (econ mode on) but also without getting whiplash (econ off).

Are the PCM settings modifiable somehow? I'll check the manual, but I think I may have checked last year and didn't find anything.
Old 01-10-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

but the cruise control still works in mph (5 taps = 8km/hr (5mph)).
Ah. I've never driven my car using KPH, I was curious.
(I also RARELY use my cruise, even on the freeways. I'm usually jumping in behind anyone willing to go faster than me, so I'm almost never going a steady speed if there is any traffic.)

Maybe it has to do with using whichever system has the fewest divisions to make programming simpler. I'm not an engineer, it was just a guess.

Are the PCM settings modifiable somehow?
Not by a user, and not by anyone in a dealership. Everything cruise related is controlled by the PCM, and we don't get to write our own software for it.

Aftermarket PCM (or tuner) might get you what you want, but that's a helluva expense for what seems like a nit-picky issue IMO...... IF one is even available for your car at all.
Old 01-10-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Ah. I've never driven my car using KPH, I was curious.
(I also RARELY use my cruise, even on the freeways. I'm usually jumping in behind anyone willing to go faster than me, so I'm almost never going a steady speed if there is any traffic.)
There's just something about the vibrations involved with driving that really hurts my right knee, so the more I can avoid using the gas pedal, the better.

Originally Posted by ezone
Not by a user, and not by anyone in a dealership. Everything cruise related is controlled by the PCM, and we don't get to write our own software for it.

Aftermarket PCM (or tuner) might get you what you want, but that's a helluva expense for what seems like a nit-picky issue IMO...... IF one is even available for your car at all.
Dang... I was really hoping that since you could change the cruise control behaviour at will by switching the ECON mode, then there must be a way to configure it.

OK, I guess I'll have to get by with switching ECON on and off depending on the situation... Not the end of the world. Might set up some kind of padding system under the pedals to mitigate the transfer of vibration from the car to my heel then knee.

Thanks for the answers