Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2007 Civic EX - Water Pump Changed Then White Smoke! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johny Roque is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 2007 Civic EX - Water Pump Changed Then White Smoke! HELP

So my water pump gave out on christmas, it was leaking all of my coolant. I was headed over to wash my car when i saw the car overheat, so i pulled over and turned off the car immediately. After 10 minutes of it being off i turned it off and it wouldn't turn on, so i got off the car and saw my coolant all over the floor. So i had to get the car towed back to my house. So today we changed the water pump and for some reason white smoke has been coming out of the exhaust. We changed the oil, oil filter, new antifreeze with water 50/50 but it still smokes. Even on idle it smokes. I have left the car on for about an hour and its still smoking but not as bad when had put on the water pump.
PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 12-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2007 Civic EX - Water Pump Changed Then White Smoke! HELP

You sure it was the water pump leaking? Not a cracked block? Is it still leaving puddles? (I've witnessed far more engine blocks leaking coolant than water pumps in the R18.)

How hot did it get?
Did the plastic oil dipstick melt?
Did any of the ignition coils elongate?

What does the exhaust smoke smell like?
Is it losing coolant?
Is it leaking combustion into the cooling system?
Is coolant leaking into the cylinders?
Old 12-27-2015
Registered!!

It doesn't overheat or anything. Everything seems fine its just white smoke coming out the exhaust. i just let it idle for 1 hour then turned it off, went to eat, waited about 15 more minutes and then decided to finally drive it to see if that was it. So after flooring it a couple times and driving it normal for 30 minutes the smoke seem to have stopped. Now I'm going to wait till the morning and see if the smoke comes back after a cold start and wait till the car heats up.
Old 12-27-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You sure it was the water pump leaking? Not a cracked block? Is it still leaving puddles? (I've witnessed far more engine blocks leaking coolant than water pumps in the R18.)

How hot did it get?
Did the plastic oil dipstick melt?
Did any of the ignition coils elongate?

What does the exhaust smoke smell like?
Is it losing coolant?
Is it leaking combustion into the cooling system?
Is coolant leaking into the cylinders?
Im sure it wasn't a cracked block because i would put coolant in and immediately it would come out the water pump, plus when we took the old water pump the bearing inside were destroyed, which caused it to make this crackling noise, which was going on for months. (i thought it was the alternator) Now once replaced it doesn't leak anymore.
Old 12-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Steam from the exhaust is normal and sometimes visible in the air.
Is it cold and humid there? That makes it more apparent.

Smoke hangs in the air for a long time.
Steam dissipates quite rapidly by comparison.

If coolant is in the exhaust, the steam produced usually smells sickeningly sweet and hangs in the air much longer than steam from plain water or condensation.

Water collected in the exhaust from several brief periods of running could cause steam to be noticed, and it may take a lot of driving to get the entire exhaust system hot enough to evaporate or boil it all out.
Old 12-27-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Steam from the exhaust is normal and sometimes visible in the air.
Is it cold and humid there? That makes it more apparent.

Smoke hangs in the air for a long time.
Steam dissipates quite rapidly by comparison.

If coolant is in the exhaust, the steam produced usually smells sickeningly sweet and hangs in the air much longer than steam from plain water or condensation.

Water collected in the exhaust from several brief periods of running could cause steam to be noticed, and it may take a lot of driving to get the entire exhaust system hot enough to evaporate or boil it all out.
Im located in miami, maybe some coolant got in there and thats the reason.