8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Dealer Recommneded Services

Old 11-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rojasj is an unknown quantity at this point
Dealer Recommneded Services

Hi all,
I have a 2010 Civic LX that has been my workhorse everyday car for the past five years. It has 91,000 on it and working flawlessly. The goal is the keep it working flawlessly by maintaining it properly (I usually get 15-20 years out of my cars).

I usually service the Civic at the dealer since they are the most convenient time wise and the shops are me charge almost the same amount of money if I ask them for a quote using original Honda parts.

Anyway, upon the last service the dealer recommend that I do a throttle body cleaning, an "emissions service", change the spark plugs, serpentine belt and flush the brakes and power steering. I've done the transmission fluid changes every 30K as well as one brake and power steering flush. However, is the throttle body and emissions service basic maintenance and should the be done or is this just dealer based "maintenance" that is not officially Honda recommended?
Old 11-12-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Dealer Recommneded Services

Brake fluid every 3-4 years.
Power steering 4-5 years.
Plugs & serp belt 100k. And you may consider coolant change also.

Would avoid the TB cleaning myself.
Old 11-12-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Brake fluid every 3-4 years.
Power steering 4-5 years.
Plugs & serp belt 100k. And you may consider coolant change also.

Would avoid the TB cleaning myself.
Is there a specific reason why I should avoid the TB cleaning?
Old 11-12-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Not a mechanic..... but have heard that there is some factory setting/value/adjustment/parameter that can change with cleaning.
Old 11-12-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Not a mechanic..... but have heard that there is some factory setting/value/adjustment/parameter that can change with cleaning.
Got it, thanks. I wasn't sure if you had come across a specific issue with a TB cleaning. I looked online and based on Honda's maintenance schedule I see no mention of a TB cleaning or emissions service.
Old 11-12-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have the equipment (scanner) to recalibrate the throttle-by-wire system, I'd say don't attempt to clean it.

We (at my shop) quit recommending the service after getting burned by a few cars that refused to act right afterwards.
Old 11-12-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If you don't have the equipment (scanner) to recalibrate the throttle-by-wire system, I'd say don't attempt to clean it.

We (at my shop) quit recommending the service after getting burned by a few cars that refused to act right afterwards.
I agree, nor do I feel comfortable with the dealer cleaning it. I can't find an official Honda service recommendation for it either.

Is the TB cleaning service more of a "dealer recommended" service?
Old 11-12-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Honda doesn't list it at all, and never did AFAIK.

I'm torn on this one.

It is a valid service on sooo many cars. Not only for the sticking gas pedal, but idle problems too.

OTOH I also think it's too often just another service that's oversold by those that flush and can't fix.

I will gladly recommend it on older cars that actually have a sticking throttle because a driver can definitely tell a difference after it's done. It's tangible at that point, not mysterious hocus-pocus.. They can tell that you really did something and it's better.

===========

Newer cars can set fault codes for the electric throttle system, mostly in the P21xx series IIRC. Several of the trouble charts say to clean and relearn the throttle as a diagnostic step.

We have many Hondas with well over 200k, 300k that have not had any issues with their electric throttles..... In fact, I only remember ONE car with an electric throttle related problem at all in the last 13(?) years I've been at this dealer.