8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

"Core" charge for OEM alloy wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
h4ldol is an unknown quantity at this point
Question "Core" charge for OEM alloy wheels?

A lot of online Honda dealers are charging a "core" charge for some wheels (42700-SNA-A81) I have been thinking of getting for my wife's 2010 LX sedan. I believe the core charges are only for remanufactured parts, including alloy wheels, is that right? I remember buying OEM Honda wheels for my older 2002 Civic and not being charged a core fee, probably because it was new and not remanufactured? And so I shouldn't get a core charge if the wheel is brand new?

Also, do all trims (e.g. LX, LX-S, EX, etc.) for the 2010 Civic sedan have the same bolt pattern (5x114.3)? Just want to make sure.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Core" charge for OEM alloy wheels?

YES we are having to do "core" charges on many parts now, even stuff most people would not expect. That includes most of our replacement wheels. Brand new.
The policy began in 2013.

Per Honda:
50 core deposit charge on aluminum wheels,
15 core deposit charge on steel.

Accessory wheels are not included in this AFAIK.

HTH
Old 09-10-2015
Registered!!

Thanks, so OEM wheels that did not come stock on any models/trims wouldn't be charged the core fee? Wonder if that includes wheels that you could add as a part of a package (versus ones that were only accessories)?
Old 09-10-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h4ldol
Thanks, so OEM wheels that did not come stock on any models/trims wouldn't be charged the core fee? Wonder if that includes wheels that you could add as a part of a package (versus ones that were only accessories)?
Pick a wheel and ask your dealer if there's a core charge.
Old 09-10-2015
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by h4ldol
OEM= came on a car when it was delivered to the dealership
Accessory= was installed on a car at the dealership

ANY dealer installed dress up package would be accessory wheels unless the wheel came off of another car on the lot with factory installed wheels.
Old 09-10-2015
Registered!!

Thanks to you both for the replies. I contacted the dealer and there is no core charge for these wheels so I'm good to go. Funny thing is, this online dealer is based at the same dealer outside Chicago where I bought my 02 Civic 13 years ago. I have lived in five different states since then.
Old 09-10-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I went through that buying TPMS 5 spokes for my 2010. Found used ones online and called the wrecker guy, and by the time he tacked on the core charge they were more $$ then buying brand new ones.

There was also some sort of core charge through the dealer where the new ones were bought as well, but it did not change total cost for some reason.

Edit: Found the email, here is what they said.

"Please ignore the invoice that says that.. There was no extra charge for $200 dollars. You do not have to ship the old rims back. That's just for our own billing purposes "in house".

Sorry for the confusion."

Last edited by CraigW; 09-21-2015 at 09:00 AM.