8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Car Surging When Lifting Off Accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anephric is an unknown quantity at this point
Car Surging When Lifting Off Accelerator

Hard thing to describe here, but I'll try. About 80k miles on her, automatic transmission, 2007 Civic.

Sometimes when driving, I'll get her up to around 40 mph and take my foot off the accelerator (letting her coast, not touching the brake) and I can feel her "winding down" but there's a feeling almost like hesitancy or like she's revving forward while downshifting to first gear. There's no noise but I can feel her sort of pulling forward? And then theres a slight "jump" - no noise but something you can feel as a driver (no passenger has noticed it).

I'm worried it's the transmission (though I had her fluid swapped out a year ago and she's not banging into gear) but I suppose it could be the differential? Someone suggested its the torque converter clutch (which makes sense) or the TPS (which doesn't make sense to me). Anyone have any thoughts? There's been no code or warning on the dash.
Old 03-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Re: Car Surging When Lifting Off Accelerator

Should have bumped your other thread rather than make a new one, jus' sayin.

Have you had the car since new? Sounds to me like engine braking, except that at that speed(especially on a slight incline) it might be picking up speed rather than losing it (for a moment, until it picks up that the speed isn't dropping, which is when it then shifts down)

My 2006 has a lot of little "quirks" with shifting, after driving it for years I've just accepted it as normal...the coding for shifting is pretty complicated I'm sure.

Just my opinion, perhaps someone more knowledgeable will come by and give a better answer.

(If a mod wants to combine the two threads, here is the original: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...celerator.html )
Old 03-23-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Hard thing to describe here, but I'll try.
Kinda sounds like you might be noticing Hondas "Grade Logic"?
Downshifting through the gears by itself to help slow the vehicle down?

EDIT:Compare to a like car with no complaints, see if similar.

though I had her fluid swapped out a year ago and
Hondas DW-1 fluid? Others can really make the trans act funny.

We (at my dealer) recommend change ATF every 30k. I personally prefer more often than that.

Someone suggested its the torque converter clutch (which makes sense)
Never heard of complaints related to TCC as during deceleration, it's always been during acceleration or steady speeds.
Old 03-23-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jordan1794
(If a mod wants to combine the two threads, here is the original: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...celerator.html )
Erased as a duplicate, since it looks the same as this OP. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-23-2015

Vague description from a Honda site

Grade Logic Control
The Grade Logic Control system differs from other computer-controlled shift programming because it can detect driving situations and then set appropriate shift points for the car. It helps your Accord avoid gear hunting on climbs and descents, and it downshifts for added engine braking when needed.

They don't act like most other manufacturers' cars.
Old 03-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anephric is an unknown quantity at this point

Apologies for making a dupe thread, but after a week in another subforum, I figured it wouldn't gets any attention no matter how often I bumped it.

Ezone: I always take my cars to dealerships for all fluid changes and repairs. I now know Civics are really temperamental when it comes to transmissions (my first car, when I was a teen in the late 90s, got a tranny flush at Valvoline. Never did it again, she stopped shifting smoothly after the first 500 miles or so).