8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

I'm stumped on a recent starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JohnnyBxo is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm stumped on a recent starting problem

Hello all. Here I am again to pick the brains of those smarter and more experience with cars than myself.

Today and yesterday I've been experiencing a problem starting my 2007 civic ex. Battery is good, starter is good and less than 3 months old (just replaced), and the alternator is good. I had a parasitic drain last winter and I now know all my ground connections are rust free and fastened down with dielectric grease. The immobilizer green light turns on for less than a second and shuts off as normal, but no crank, no start, no click on the starter (lights and radio come on as normal). When the starter went bad a few months ago it still made a click, but no crank. Replaced the starter and it's been problem-free until yesterday and today. I've attempted to start my car three times now and each time it has happened. Each time too the car sat for 6+ hours in between start times. I can turn the car off though and immediately start it right back up though. The car does eventually start after a few ignition turns and key removals.

Any thoughts? Something I'm overlooking---need to check? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-15-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I'm stumped on a recent starting problem

Your starter came from where? Discount parts? Any loose connections on the starter?

Can you use a voltmeter? Test light? Jumper wire? Test to your hearts' content.
Starter solenoid wire connector is here:
Name:  Cr824SO.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  771.6 KB
Old 09-15-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Your starter came from where? Discount parts? Any loose connections on the starter?

Can you use a voltmeter? Test light? Jumper wire? Test to your hearts' content.
Starter solenoid wire connector is here:
Hello ezone. You helped me last time. I appreciate you stopping by again. This is the exact starter I replaced my original one w/ http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...8033_191901_0_.

I haven't crawled under it yet to check for loose connections on the starter, but I will tomorrow. I just replaced the battery in my multimeter. What do you suggest I check? I can locate that solenoid wire, I assume from the ease of accessibility in the photo that it's under the hood.
Old 09-15-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I can locate that solenoid wire, I assume from the ease of accessibility in the photo that it's under the hood.
Yeah. My hand is on the brake fluid reservoir.

What do you suggest I check?
Everything you can check to either figure it out or condemn the starter. LOL

This is the exact starter I replaced
Autozone, huh? You should already know what the next words will be....
Old 09-15-2014

Unplug that connector and hold the loose end in your hand.
Use a jumper wire to get 12v+ to that wire in your hand.
Does the starter crank?
Old 09-17-2014
Registered!!

Unplug that connector and hold the loose end in your hand.
Use a jumper wire to get 12v+ to that wire in your hand.
Does the starter crank?
I haven't had a chance to test this yet because it's started first time every time the last three times now. I guess this is now an intermittent issue? :/
Old 09-17-2014

Originally Posted by JohnnyBxo
it's started first time every time the last three times now. I guess this is now an intermittent issue? :/
And kinda random too, apparently.
Old 10-13-2014
Registered!!

crash910 is an unknown quantity at this point

i would put money on a defective starter from the store... im an aircraft mechanic and i cant even tell you how many times we have installed either re manned or brand new parts from factory and they have been defective, and those are CERTIFIED airworthy parts.. quality standards for automotive parts will be much lower
Old 10-18-2014
Registered!!

And kinda random too, apparently.
It happened two days in a row yesterday and the day before, but it hadn't happened again since the last time I posted. I suspect it might be related to the ignition itself. It's like I'm trying to start the car in drive. Nothing happens.

I usually move the shifter back and forth a time or two as well as remove the key from the ignition also a time or two and then she starts right up. I'm stumped because of the randomness of the issue, which is really preventing me from troubleshooting it.
Old 10-18-2014

I might wire up a test light to the small wire on the starter, place the light on the dash or tape it to the windshield so I can see it whenever I start the engine.

If it still lights up when it won't crank, it's probably a bad starter.
If it does not light up when it won't crank, it's electrical and more checking is needed.
Old 10-18-2014
Registered!!

Sounds like a plan. Thank you for your help
Old 10-18-2014

Crap I forgot this is about a 07.....I'd wire the test light into the connection near the brake master shown in the earlier pic, it's a lot easier to reach than the terminal on the starter itself.
Old 10-18-2014
Registered!!

Wooo, I'm glad to hear. This will be much easier. Thanks for remembering!
Old 11-03-2014
Registered!!

Crap I forgot this is about a 07.....I'd wire the test light into the connection near the brake master shown in the earlier pic, it's a lot easier to reach than the terminal on the starter itself.
I finally got some troubleshooting time on this issue. Wired up the multimeter everywhere I could and found that I'm getting the voltages I needed. So I dropped the starter down. Took it to my local autozone and it failed the test. The starter spring/plunger was failing to push the drive gear out consistently, which explained why it was intermittent.

Swapped out the starters (I know it's an autozone one, but I originally bought it there and it was still under warranty). So we'll see how it goes from here!

Again ezone, I appreciate all your help.