8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Civic 2010 p2a00 and p0133 after replacing o2 original sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Civic 2010 p2a00 and p0133 after replacing o2 original sensor

Hi, this is my first post,
I have civic 2010 , and two weeks ago i got check system light,
Went to a Honda garage and was told that a new o2 sensor is needed.
After replacing the sensor and driving 140 km again light on
Went to the garage the check gave two codes p2a00 and p0133 , after a reset error was clear, drive 68 km and again light came back ... Any one have any idea what can be the issue, i am far way from any Honda garage at the moment and i need to drive 1000 km back home
Thanks.
Old 08-14-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Civic 2010 p2a00 and p0133 after replacing o2 original sensor

I'd guess you didn't use a factory sensor....or maybe replaced the wrong sensor.
Old 08-14-2014
Registered!!

Yes original sensor even mark as Honda cost 384 euro ...:-(
I do not believe the o2 is the issue ...
Old 08-14-2014
Registered!!

I also checked the part number ...it is identical to the one which was removed ... This was done by a Honda official garage !
Old 08-14-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I did not realize you were across the pond.
Here's my thoughts:

First, the shop needs to have the opportunity to correct the situation, whether it was an error on their part or a defective part (yes it happens) or something else.
They sold you a fix, which apparently did not work as planned.
If they are reputable they should either honor their warranty-- or figure out what the problem really is.

That sensor is not cheap, I'm sure you would not like to pay for another one.
If the only issue is, say, a defective sensor, then I'd expect they should replace it as it should be well within the typical replacement parts warranty period. (Here, any decent shop would give a warranty and clearly state the terms in writing. The shop I work in usually gives 1 year/12,000 miles warranty period for most repairs.)

If you visit a different shop, you would be expected to pay all over again.

If you are not near the original shop that did the work, contact the shop and explain what details you know about it (present codes and such), ask them what they would like for you to do and how they would like to handle this problem (presuming this will be a warranty matter).
If this was a Honda dealership that did the work and you are carrying the receipts, another Honda dealership could likely handle a defective part warranty even if they make you pay for diagnosis.

--

The troubleshooting charts I found are pretty short for both of the codes. Run some tests on the Honda scantool, test drive meeting certain driving conditions and if the scantool indicates it failed the onboard testing, simply replace the sensor. If it passed the testing, you go on a different path of troubleshooting.
Old 08-14-2014
Registered!!

Thanks for the info, do u think i can drive 1000km back home?
Old 08-14-2014

Originally Posted by Driver21
Thanks for the info, do u think i can drive 1000km back home?
If the engine does not run abnormally, then yes, I would drive it.

However, if the check engine light were flashing while driving, then you should not continue to drive it. (I'm assuming the computers in your cars are programmed similarly to ours in North America.)

HTH
Old 08-15-2014
Registered!!

Thanks, i am planing to start driving tomorrow, i will update after i will visit my garage on monday.
Old 08-21-2014
Registered!!

Hi again, so i am back home.
Went to the garage,
The replace the o2 sensor and now only the p2a00 code is on.
The garage said the heating current of the o2 sensor is starting and stoping (look to me like a short) they said the computer need to be replace ?!!! Can it be??? I have no guaranty any more ( stop in the beginning of august ) what to do?
Old 08-21-2014

Originally Posted by Driver21
Hi again, so i am back home.
Went to the garage,
The replace the o2 sensor and now only the p2a00 code is on.
The garage said the heating current of the o2 sensor is starting and stoping (look to me like a short)
Hi,
I have no way to verify nor refute the answer they give you....but I think they may not have exhausted all other options before "pulling the trigger" on a rather expensive part.

I'm not sure I agree with the "heating current" part of the answer you wrote-- because this code is not defined as a heater problem
(If that description was even accurate.... I know very well how communication can break down going from someone very technical, to laity. LOL)

The definition I have here is:
P2A00 - A/F sensor (sensor 1) circuit range/performance problem

The heater circuit has a code of its own, and it is not P2A00.

However, if they are stating that something in the sensor is stopping and starting, that makes me think it MIGHT be indicative of a wiring issue -- randomly making and breaking contact as the engine vibrates and moves, therefore randomly losing accurate sensor data to the PCM, which may better explain the code cause as defined.

they said the computer need to be replace ?!!! Can it be???
.....But the troubleshooting chart I have for this code does not list the computer (PCM) as a possible cause. (That's kinda odd?)

Bad sensor, poor wiring connections at the sensor, harness, or at the computer are listed as possibilities, but I did not see the computer itself listed.

(I have had to hunt down poorly fitting wire terminals in the past on this generation of car, but I have not had to replace a PCM in one of these that I can remember.)

They are a dealership, if they really want to tell you a computer is going to solve the problem then I'd suggest they do a computer swap with a "known good" car to be absolutely certain the computer is gonna fix your car ---- before you have to pay for it.
(Also note how long it took for the code to reset when you drove it, can you be sure they will test drive it long enough to see if the code resets?)
I have no guaranty any more ( stop in the beginning of august ) what to do?
Did you arrive at the shop with this very problem prior to your regular warranty coverage expiring? (that might be in your favor)

I have no idea how different it is over in your area or what your standard warranty coverage may be, so I'll also say to review your owners information, maybe the booklet about warranty coverage info.

Over here in the USA, the warranty coverage period on the PCM is longer than the regular warranty on the rest of the car or powertrain.

Does Honda have a customer assistance hotline in your country?

HTH
Old 10-12-2014
Registered!!

So finally i have my car fix, it was along process that cost me alot of money.
After computer sawp the garage proved the fule injection computer ecu neef to be replace ,
Before they discover that i had to replace a lamda sensor and payfor 8 houresof work
I find it problematic that honda delears need so much time to find this problem.
But i do have one point of light , hounda replced the computer for free.
I am now thinking should i keep this car ...