8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Looking to replace spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Looking to replace spark plugs

Ok so I got myself a 2014 Civic, and gave my wife my 2006. Now, I know little to nothing about making a car faster, but I'd like to try to do so with the 2006. I figure rather than go out and spend a bunch of money on actual mods, I'll start by getting better versions of the things I'm gonna replace anyways.

So to my point, I am going to replace the spark plugs soon, and while I'm at it I'll replace everything that goes with the plugs. My question is, are there any parts I can replace here with better performance parts? I'm not expecting any real impressive gains, but I'd rather start small so if I eventually get to big things i'll already have the small stuff done.

From what I've read the ignition system consists of the plugs, ignition coils, and the distributor

So I know I'll need new plugs, anyone have any brand suggestions? I'm really lost here because again I am completely new to this.

I'll also replace the ignition coils, again any brand suggestions for performance increases?

Is there any point in replacing the distributor?

are there any wires I need to replace while doing so, i.e. spark plug wires?

P.S. car is a 4 dr LX, NOT the Si.

P.P.S. I know I'm a noob at this, thanks for any help/suggestions and sorry if any of these questions are stupid.
Old 05-28-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking to replace spark plugs

I am going to replace the spark plugs soon, and while I'm at it I'll replace everything that goes with the plugs.
Stick to the plugs, as maintenance. Stop there.
are there any parts I can replace here with better performance parts?
No.
You do not gain performance with ignition parts.....unless there was a huge ignition problem to begin with.
From what I've read the ignition system consists of the plugs, ignition coils, and the distributor
There is no distributor on that engine.
So I know I'll need new plugs, anyone have any brand suggestions? I'm really lost here
Use what the factory specified. Their engineers spent a lot of time and money to spec plugs that work superbly. I know I'm not smarter than those engineers......

NGK IZFR6K-11S
or
DENSO SKJ20DR-M11S

Nothing else unless/until you heavily modify the engine (boost). The stock plugs are good for 100k miles and will handle any bolt on 'performance' stuff you can throw at the car, until you throw a lot of boost at it.
Even then the stock plugs would probably handle some boost just fine, up to a point. Maybe change the heat range a step.

The stock coils will provide more than enough spark for anything you can bolt on it too.
The stock coils are not a high failure item, either.
I'll also replace the ignition coils, again any brand suggestions for performance increases?
Is there any point in replacing the distributor?
are there any wires I need to replace while doing so, i.e. spark plug wires?
There is no distributor.
There are no plug wires.
There is no point in replacing the coils unless there is a problem.
If you install aftermarket ignition parts you are risking getting garbage.

JMO. YMMV.

Now that I've said all that, what are your plans for the engine?

Last edited by ezone; 05-28-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-29-2014
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree stick with only Honda brand spark plugs. there is a K&N air filter
you can put on for a slight increase in performance. and you could try using a Top tier fuel like shell and a concentrated fuel system cleaner in the Tank something like CRC one tank power renew or what I use "BG 44k" works very well at cleaning the fuel system

and restoring power back to like new condition from OEM. theres also Royal purple oil they claim a 5 horsepower gain from just switching over and keep
the tires inflated to around 34-35 psi that's realy all to do as far as best fuel
efiecency and performance goes
Old 05-30-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Alright, thanks for the help guys. what I gathered is there really isn't any room for performance gains with the spark plugs, so I guess I'll just change the plugs and leave the coils and everything else alone.

A question I do have is, how difficult/possible would it be to transfer an Si engine into my non-si? This would be a project for FAR down the road. My plans are to keep this car indefinitely, so eventually I imagine I'll need to drop a new engine/tranny into it, if I'm going to do so I would go ahead and get the Si engine in it if its possible.

What about other engines? I'm prepared to do some crazy stuff to this car 5-10 years down the road from now. Would there be any way to squeeze an accord V6 in there(and would that be any faster than an Si engine?)
Old 05-30-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Would there be any way to squeeze an accord V6 in there(and would that be any faster than an Si engine?)
Much is possible if you have an endless supply of money and you can weld.

Personally, I think just buying an SI would be far more efficient than trying to turn your car into one.

Search google and google images for Civic V6.