8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2008 Civic Immobilizer query

Old 04-10-2014
Eaz
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eaz is an unknown quantity at this point
2008 Civic Immobilizer query

Hi,

New to the forums, and a complete tool when it comes to cars, but here goes.

I bought an 08 Civic a few weeks back and loving the car.

This morning however when I was to drive to work, I turned the key and hit the start button, put in reverse and realized I couldn't turn the wheels.

So, noticed the immobilizer light stayed on. So, turned off the car, put in the keys again, flicked it to 2nd, and the immobilizer light (along with oil etc) stayed on while the key was turned, I pressed start and the immobilizer stayed on.

This went on a couple of times, but then it stayed off.

I was then to drive to lunch here at work (and I don't know if this is a coincidence or not), went to start the car and the immobilizer stayed on after I started it, however the next attempt I pressed the start button a bit longer and the immobilizer light switched off.

However, when driving (I am not sure if this has happened before as I normally have radio/music on when driving), I noticed a "clicking" sound when turning, but when returning from lunch that clicking sound did not appear.

Any ideas on what's going wrong?

From using google, I have checked the battery which is fine, I removed car key from my key chain to eliminate any interference from my electronic access fob for work (but this has never caused any issues before this morning).

I still have warranty from the place where I bought the car, but just in case there is something I could do myself first of all.

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2014
Eaz
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2008 Civic Immobilizer query

Small update on the post.

Haven't happened since, I notice that the Engine warning, oil and immobilizer stays lit at key position 2 (e.g. before hitting the start button), is this normal?

When pressing start, the lights turn off.
Old 04-10-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2008 Civic Immobilizer query

I can't help much from here, as your car seems quite unlike ours in North America

A Honda dealer should be able to scan the immobilizer system to determine if it was the cause of the no start, but may not be able to do much else if the problem is not present while in the shop.

A non-dealer shop would have to be extremely well equipped to have a scanner that can obtain immobilizer information from the car.

Observe how everything acts when it's all working properly, that way when something goes wrong you have a basis for comparison. Dash lights, noises, etc.

Dash warning lights should be explained in your owners manual:
ALL come on when the ignition is switched on, this is a "bulb test".
Many go out after about 2 seconds
Airbag light goes out after about 7 seconds (if it's system is ok)
Some lights stay on until the engine is started and running

The immobilizer light should have some explanation in the owners manual too, describing all it's normal activity.

Your clicking when turning:
From the dash area? From the steering column? Sitting still, with the turn signal on?
Turn signal switch cancel mechanism--Probably normal.

Clicking noise while accelerating in a sharp turn, sounds like Poppita-poppita-poppita or a "crackle" noise, until you straighten out or let off the gas, might be an outer CV joint.

If that isn't it, describe better the noise and conditions when you hear it. Your description is quite vague so far.

HTH