8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Black around exhaust & bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Black around exhaust & bumper

Hey All,

I just had an oil change done almost 3 weeks ago and a 50 point inspection done. Someone at work brought to my attention today that my rear bumper around the exhaust is black. I went to check and low and behold IT IS. I checked the oil level but can't really tell or know where it should be at. I have one of those annoying orange dip sticks. Any idea what this could be? It is a 2007 Honda Civic Ex with about 270,000 kms.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks
Doreen
Old 03-26-2014
Registered!!

Re: Black around exhaust & bumper

Going to the Stealership at 1:30. I will let you guys know what they said in case anyone ever has the same issue.
Old 03-27-2014
Registered!!

They said it would normally be cause to some sort of oil leak. But they ran all kinds of tests on it and even a "health check" and nothing. No issues, no problems. I am kind of leaning towards they probably didn't tighten something when they did the oil change and maybe didn't want to admit the blame to me so they just fixed it. All in all, they are always pretty decent as far as price goes considering.
Old 03-27-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If the tailpipe is too close to the body or bent at the wrong angle, or bumper cover bent/damaged/moved/warped, soot might get on the bumper cover.

Some soot is normal from the exhaust, but it shouldn't collect on the body unless something unusual is going on.

Other stuff, like poor running, oil consumption, overrich condition, high speeds and loads.........................
..........cold starts and extended warmups all winter while sitting still *Canada*, anything like that?
Old 03-28-2014
Registered!!

Ya, I am in Canada and have had cold starts for sure. I actually have a picture of it but I can't seem to figure out how to share it. Plus my car was so dirty with layers of crap from the weather so its possible it just stuck on to it. As far as the muffler and bumper goes, its all original and there are no smashes on it. It is in perfect condition. Thanks for the reply btw!