8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Are these things normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dotdotdot is an unknown quantity at this point
Are these things normal?

Hey guys. I have 2012 coupe standard.
Few questions.

1. The volume and preset controls on my steering wheel no longer work. They work when within the menu to select things but not for the radio, I plan on taking it in for this, but is there a setting I'm missing?

2. When I completely fill my tank (recently) the first bar will go down, then come back up either when I'm driving or when I restart my car. Is this normal?

3. Finally...I don't know if this just started or if I just noticed it but when I turn the fan on (hot or cold) there is a noise that comes from under the glove box area. Not super loud but has a motor/fan kind of sound.

Appreciate any input! thanks!

The guys at my dealership are kind of dumb and take forever to do anything so I just want to see if any of this is normal before I tell them to look at it.
Old 01-31-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Re: Are these things normal?

I have a 2006, but I can ease your mind with two of these...

#1 I have no clue, don't have steering wheel controls.

#2 gas sloshes around, and(unless the 2012 has something other than what I'm familiar with) the way current fuel level is calculated is with essentially a floater attached to a lever, the position of the lever is measured every-so-often to get the current fuel level, they are small as far as I know so I imagine even the tiniest mis-alignment could result in your gauge fluctuating one bar...I wouldn't worry about it.

#3 behind the glove compartment is the AC filter and with is most of the piping to send air where you want, that noise is the sound of valves opening/closing to send the air where you want...
Test it, sit in the car with no sound but the engine, and the AC on the lowest setting, then cycle through the modes(floor vent, dash vent, defog, etc.) you should hear it.

This is all from my current knowledge, I could be wrong so if I am, someone feel free to correct me, but I'm fairly certain #2 and #3 are nothing to worry about.
Old 01-31-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I own a 12 LX Sedan, and I work for a dealer.
I have not heard these complaints from any of our customers.

1) No clue here, sounds software or microprocessor related in the audio system though.
Does the radio work correctly otherwise?
Does the iMID display all other radio functions as normal?

Has the battery been weak or dead recently? Jump started? Low voltage and power surges can cause all sorts of strange things to happen with electronics.

Has this had the software update for the mileage/odometer display issue done (IF it is applicable)?

If no useful is gleaned by using the HDS scanner in body systems, I might disconnect the battery to do a reset (short the cables together, turn the key to ON, leave it for 15 minutes,) and see what happens. It's like a reboot.

2) I have not noticed this either. Are you sure it's full?

3) The interior fan (HVAC) motor is behind the glovebox. Is the noise unusual?

When you go to your dealer....
Step #1 is to verify the customer complaint:
You had better demonstrate exactly what your problems are, and you better be able to make your car act up while it is at the dealer.

Get everyone on the same page.
It's hard to believe the complaints if it isn't happening when checked. NPF (no problem found) will be the result.

Document your complaints with video!
Old 01-31-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jordan1794
I have a 2006, but I can ease your mind with two of these...

#1 I have no clue, don't have steering wheel controls.

#2 gas sloshes around, and(unless the 2012 has something other than what I'm familiar with) the way current fuel level is calculated is with essentially a floater attached to a lever, the position of the lever is measured every-so-often to get the current fuel level, they are small as far as I know so I imagine even the tiniest mis-alignment could result in your gauge fluctuating one bar...I wouldn't worry about it.

#3 behind the glove compartment is the AC filter and with is most of the piping to send air where you want, that noise is the sound of valves opening/closing to send the air where you want...
Test it, sit in the car with no sound but the engine, and the AC on the lowest setting, then cycle through the modes(floor vent, dash vent, defog, etc.) you should hear it.

This is all from my current knowledge, I could be wrong so if I am, someone feel free to correct me, but I'm fairly certain #2 and #3 are nothing to worry about.

Thanks!
For #3, the sound is constant. Doesn't change with the speed of the fan or anything. If the fan is turned on in any mode (ac, heat, defrost, etc, at any speed) the sound is the same. That's why I'm guessing it is just the motor. But I honestly can't remember if it has always been making that noise.
Old 01-31-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I own a 12 LX Sedan, and I work for a dealer.
I have not heard these complaints from any of our customers.

1) No clue here, sounds software or microprocessor related in the audio system though.
Does the radio work correctly otherwise?
Does the iMID display all other radio functions as normal?

Has the battery been weak or dead recently? Jump started? Low voltage and power surges can cause all sorts of strange things to happen with electronics.

Has this had the software update for the mileage/odometer display issue done (IF it is applicable)?

If no useful is gleaned by using the HDS scanner in body systems, I might disconnect the battery to do a reset (short the cables together, turn the key to ON, leave it for 15 minutes,) and see what happens. It's like a reboot.

2) I have not noticed this either. Are you sure it's full?

3) The interior fan (HVAC) motor is behind the glovebox. Is the noise unusual?

When you go to your dealer....
Step #1 is to verify the customer complaint:
You had better demonstrate exactly what your problems are, and you better be able to make your car act up while it is at the dealer.

Get everyone on the same page.
It's hard to believe the complaints if it isn't happening when checked. NPF (no problem found) will be the result.

Document your complaints with video!

That's what I mean. It's nearly impossible to show them the problem with my fuel guage unless I fill it up there. So that will never get fixed.

My ac and heat take a good 20 minutes to get to their coldest/hottest and always have. Everytime I bring it in all they say is "well, it feels cold to me".
Not to mention that is after me sitting there for 3+ hours.

Just didn't want that to happen here. They will at least have to fix the steering controls.

The radio and iMid display work as they should. The battery died about 6 months ago. That's the only issue I can remember. This started about a week ago though.
Old 01-31-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

My ac and heat take a good 20 minutes to get to their coldest/hottest and always have.
Yeah. I know.
Get used to it.

They will at least have to fix the steering controls.
You have an LX, right?
I found this bulletin

The audio remote switch on the steering wheel and the
backlighting for the radio display and the radio buttons
may stop working because of an error in the audio unit
software.

If there is any question, tell them to look at service bulletin # 12-017
Old 01-31-2014
Registered!!

Yeah. I know.
Get used to it.

You have an LX, right?
I found this bulletin

The audio remote switch on the steering wheel and the
backlighting for the radio display and the radio buttons
may stop working because of an error in the audio unit
software.

If there is any question, tell them to look at service bulletin # 12-017
Well if the ac/heat thing is normal I feel better about it.

And thanks for that info on the bulletin! I'll make sure to save it.
Old 01-31-2014

I have a 5.6 mile drive to work. When it's zero out, I might get halfway to work before that blue cold light goes out. About the time i get to work, the heater is starting to kick it decent. Not good and hot yet, but decent.
My old Buick gave heat sooner, but it burned a lot more gas to do it.

In the summer, the AC works like it should, I get air from the dash that's about 40 degrees in like 5 minutes (going from fuzzy memory here)..... but it's just that the interior of the car can be 180*F or higher when sitting in the sun with all the windows rolled up, and it takes a damn long time to cool all that down. Dark colors are worse, and mine is dark blue.
It's about tolerable by the time I reach the house after work.
I think the AC unit is undersized for the car.
Old 01-31-2014
Registered!!

I have a 5.6 mile drive to work. When it's zero out, I might get halfway to work before that blue cold light goes out. About the time i get to work, the heater is starting to kick it decent. Not good and hot yet, but decent.
My old Buick gave heat sooner, but it burned a lot more gas to do it.

In the summer, the AC works like it should, I get air from the dash that's about 40 degrees in like 5 minutes (going from fuzzy memory here)..... but it's just that the interior of the car can be 180*F or higher when sitting in the sun with all the windows rolled up, and it takes a damn long time to cool all that down. ark colors are worse, and mine is dark blue.
It's about tolerable by the time I reach the house after work.
I think the AC unit is undersized for the car.
Ya, that makes sense.
I had a saturn before my civic (my first car) and the the car was hot within 5 minutes and cold within 5 minutes...and it was bigger inside. So it just kind of pissed me off when all summer I am sweating like crazy driving my new 19k car. But oh well.

Mine is black. So that doesn't help. They also told me at the dealership all the new eco stuff makes the ac (especially) worse. I thought that was kind of a line of bull...but who knows.

To be honest, overall, I'm not happy with the civic at all. As soon as I can afford to I'm getting something other than a Honda.