8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

car heating slightly when moving slowly ?

Old 12-23-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TryllZ is an unknown quantity at this point
car heating slightly when moving slowly ?

Hi I have a 2006 Civic FD1 LXi, lately I have noticed that the car engine heat indicator raises more than half when moving slowly in traffic [its always less than half], its like moving up and down after sometiome over and over again but not all the time, just when the car moves the bar goes down suddenly, its only happening lately ?

anybody knowing where the problem is and whats the solution before i hit the garage?

Thank YOU
Old 12-23-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: car heating slightly when moving slowly ?

Check coolant level when engine is cool.
Old 12-23-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Check coolant level when engine is cool.
Hi,

The coolant levels are all KO, but still as a precaution, I did add a little to make it reach the Max Level...but still the same....this is happening in Winter now that the temp. is close to 7-8 degrees
Old 12-23-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Did you check the level in radiator as well (engine cold)

My 2010 never goes past the 9th segment.
Old 12-23-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Did you check the level in radiator as well (engine cold)

My 2010 never goes past the 9th segment.
Yes sir, I did check that radiator level all are showing upto the mark..

So the car is on brake hold in traffic for sometime, the level might go up [might, because its not happening all the time], then just as the car mores for 3 sec or more the level drops suddenly to the normal level, then again only comes up when and slowly moving in traffic...

Checked, Radiator, Coolant levels...the only thing I can understand is that cable monitoring this level might be malfunctioned, as the level fluctuates for like less than 10-15 sec only...
Old 12-23-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

is the rad fan coming on? (there's two, one for the AC, so best leave AC off to check for fan)
Old 12-23-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
is the rad fan coming on? (there's two, one for the AC, so best leave AC off to check for fan)
Thanx, I'll check that out, didn't figure that one...

Question, do both the fans need to be running, even if AC isn't running ?

From what I know, no, only 1 should be running, I'll check that out..

Thank you
Old 12-23-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Question, do both the fans need to be running, even if AC isn't running ?
Both radiator fans run at the same time when they are turned on.

The AC system can turn them on, and high coolant temperature can also turn them on.

Yes sir, I did check that radiator level all are showing upto the mark..
I know you stated this, but it sounds to me like you meant you checked the white plastic reservoir. You need to open the radiator cap and make sure it is full too.

Just making sure we're clear on this.
If the radiator is low, and you have the 1.8 Liter "R" type engine........start looking for leaks.

lately I have noticed that the car engine heat indicator raises more than half when moving slowly in traffic [its always less than half], its like moving up and down
I'd use a scanner to read live data from the PCM, read the engine coolant temperature and see what is going on there when the gauge changes on the dash.

A change of one or two light segments might be within reason, but it should stay in the middle somewhere. The "gauge" you see on the dash is heavily buffered by the computer, the middle of the light set could be anywhere from ~170 to 220*F (76-105*C).
Old 12-23-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Both radiator fans run at the same time when they are turned on.

The AC system can turn them on, and high coolant temperature can also turn them on.

I know you stated this, but it sounds to me like you meant you checked the white plastic reservoir. You need to open the radiator cap and make sure it is full too.

Just making sure we're clear on this.
If the radiator is low, and you have the 1.8 Liter "R" type engine........start looking for leaks.

I'd use a scanner to read live data from the PCM, read the engine coolant temperature and see what is going on there when the gauge changes on the dash.

A change of one or two light segments might be within reason, but it should stay in the middle somewhere. The "gauge" you see on the dash is heavily buffered by the computer, the middle of the light set could be anywhere from ~170 to 220*F (76-105*C).
Hey, Thank You, Appreciate your detailed information, just found both fans not working at all and minor splattered green liquid on components below the reservoir, confirmed a leak and fans not working, but when I run the AC both fans turn on, so do I need to fix the leak first and then check fans again or get them both fixed together ?

Thank You All
Old 12-24-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

but when I run the AC both fans turn on,
Then the fans are able to operate (at least at low speed).

The PCM operates the fans based on either of two inputs:
The PCM decides to turn them on low speed when it sees a valid AC request and engages the AC clutch relay, High speed comes on at 221 PSI AC high side pressure,
and the PCM turns them on high speed when the coolant temperature is sufficiently high enough to require them (my info says 206*F/97*C).

The only way I can think of to obtain any more vehicle info is with a scanner that can read the ECT #1 (engine temp) and ECT #2 (radiator temp on our 8th gen and newer cars), along with Fan operation command data from the PCM. Same scanner should be able to operate the fans upon user command too.

You said it is fairly cold there, you may have not waited long enough for the PCM to see a need for running the fans. It can take a loooong time, and if there is any breeze the fans may not be needed at all.

I'd say to fix the leak and keep the radiator full.

Then recheck if the fans run or not. Do not rely on the dash gauges. Monitor coolant temperature on a scantool while waiting for the fans to come on.
Old 12-24-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

or a scan plug to phone. or a scan gauge
Amazon.com: BAFX Products Bluetooth OBD2 Scan Tool for Check Engine Light and other Diagnostics - Android Compatible: Car Electronics Amazon.com: BAFX Products Bluetooth OBD2 Scan Tool for Check Engine Light and other Diagnostics - Android Compatible: Car Electronics

Amazon.com: ScanGaugeE Compact Multifunction Trip Computer with Customizable Real-Time Fuel Economy Digital Gauges: Automotive Amazon.com: ScanGaugeE Compact Multifunction Trip Computer with Customizable Real-Time Fuel Economy Digital Gauges: Automotive