General Post General Issues questions here that does not fit other sections

Debris in ventilation system - rodent nesting?

Old 12-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BahstonCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Debris in ventilation system - rodent nesting?

When I investigated a slight "damp leaves" aroma in my '08 Civic and pulled the cabin air filter, I found some debris (leaf pieces, maple seeds) on the top of the filter, and what looks like chewing marks. I've edited this post now that I looked closer - top of filter has mouse turds and probably urine stains. Feh.

The big surprise was that below the filter and on top of the blower blades, was a big pile of debris, also what looked like shredded kleenex (this is after I reached in and pulled out most of it):

It even looks like some of the blower vanes have been chewed. WTF. I'm baffled how this crap got into that space, and apparently got past the filter. I would appreciate any advice on how to track down the problem and fix it.

You probably already figured this car does not have a garage, and there are plenty of rodents around.

Thanks!

Last edited by BahstonCivic; 12-19-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: update with new info
Old 12-19-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Debris in ventilation system - rodent nesting?

The hard part is figuring WHERE their entering, and doing something to prevent it.
Old 12-19-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

They are entering through the cabin filter. DUH!

If the meeces only got as far as the fan, that's great.

I bet a crafty person could remove the cowl panels and fabricate a wire mesh of some sort over the HVAC opening to block critters.
Old 12-19-2013
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
.... and fabricate a wire mesh of some sort over the HVAC
.....and then electrify it.
Old 12-19-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

don't worry too much, get to an exhaust shop and have them installe the CAT inside the car, it will drive the mice out
like said above, cabin filter?
Old 12-19-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

How to test your engine valves:

Install cheese inside the tailpipe
Insert mouse into air filter box.
Wait.
If the mouse reaches the cheese at the tailpipe, you have bad valves.
Old 12-20-2013
Registered!!

BahstonCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
They are entering through the cabin filter. DUH!

If the meeces only got as far as the fan, that's great.

I bet a crafty person could remove the cowl panels and fabricate a wire mesh of some sort over the HVAC opening to block critters.
Thanks guys for the replies, and the humor Now I know why it's a CATalytic converter.

But seriously...the outside air intake seems to be a strip of black plastic, just below windshield, perforated with about 1/4" holes. If there's another intake large enough for a mouse, I'd appreciate info on where it is. In the meantime I've replaced the disgusting cabin air filter and will wire on top of it, a rectangle of 1/4" hardware cloth. Try chewing thru that, suckers!
Old 12-20-2013

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BahstonCivic
and will wire on top of it, a rectangle of 1/4" hardware cloth. Try chewing thru that, suckers!
What do you see looking through that opening ?? I swear it looks open (I saw bolts) would think there would be some ducting to it but maybe not.
Old 12-20-2013

Originally Posted by BahstonCivic
...the outside air intake seems to be a strip of black plastic, just below windshield,
No, that's the cowl cover panel. Remove it to find the blower intake area inside. The cowl area is huge, the wiper motor and linkages are all in there too.
Old 01-16-2014
Registered!!

SmokemanGrP is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a similar problem with our 2006 Civic EX but the mice were also running around inside the car, chewing on items like the seat belts and nesting in the trunk spare tire well. The only place I could find where they might have been getting in was the fresh air intake ductwork. We decided to always place the air handler in ‘recirc’ mode to block their access but it didn’t take them long to chew thru the recirc door.

If you look at the fresh air input from the outside, thru the black cowl cover, you will see that the opening has no screen over it. The cowl cover keeps things like leaves from entering but mice can get into that area by crawling thru the opening for the hood hinges.

I removed the black plastic cowl cover with the intent of installing wire mesh but it was impossible to get that far into the cowl. I then removed the entire blower motor housing which gave me access to the inside of the firewall. I installed thick mesh screening, on the inside, then reinstalled the blower motor housing. We have not had a mouse inside the car since.
Old 01-16-2014

Originally Posted by SmokemanGrP
I then removed the entire blower motor housing
How big of a job was that ??

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-16-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
How big of a job was that ??

Thanks for the info.
It wasn't too bad. There are a couple of screws way in the back that I had to use a mirror and flashlight to find. I did not remove the blower fan, it stayed mounted in the housing. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of the procedure at the time but I just took these that show where the problem was and the type of mesh used.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1905.jpg
Views:	2108
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	86282   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1908.jpg
Views:	1656
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	86283  

Last edited by SmokemanGrP; 01-16-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 01-16-2014

^^^ Thanks, I will check out the manual and see if I can find procedure.

Glad you got it stopped, may want to consider doing your air intake opening as well
Old 01-16-2014
Registered!!

Glad you got it stopped, may want to consider doing your air intake opening as well
Thanks for the suggestion. I just looked under the air filter and while there was no mouse droppings there was some debris that probably didn't get there naturally. It looks like there is an air inlet port in the rear of the intake box as well as the front.
Old 01-16-2014

I have had leaves and whirly gigs get into my air intake, but not past filter though. Was not aware of additional openings in housing.

The oval shaped mesh screen in the photos....? is that what you added ???
Old 01-16-2014
Registered!!

The oval shaped mesh screen in the photos....? is that what you added ???
Yes but it only looks oval because the opening in the firewall is oval. The piece of mesh I added was rectangular. I screwed it to the firewall so it would stay in place. The blower box had foam around the area that mates to the firewall so it just compressed up against the mesh.
Old 01-16-2014

Good info, thanks for sharing with us.
Old 01-17-2014
Registered!!

You're welcome, glad I could reciprocate. Last week I learned from this forum how to change tranny fluid and also answered my questions about timing belt vs timing chain.
Old 10-17-2020
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wizbang is an unknown quantity at this point

It's an old thread but not an old problem. I built a home for my mother-in-law at our farm. She seldom drives and parks next to a wooded area. Anyhow, she complained of a stench in her 2008 civic. Upon investigation I found a tremendous amount of debris and a dead mouse in the cabin filter area. It was cleared and the filter replaced. Over the next few weeks I discovered more debris, mostly jute from the car, blocking the new cabin filter. The mice had started chewing the filter too! Today I removed the cowl (A1Auto has a great video) and removed the wiper assembly to gain full access. The fresh air intake is wide open, 9" x 5", allowing the mice to easily get in after climbing around the plastic cowl. I made a template and cut a grate from a piece of SS perforated sheet. Four nutserts were fitted and I installed it in the intake hole. I don't know if a mouse is still in the ventilation ducting but I know it can't get out. Heading to the store to replace the pee stained filter and hopefully an end to this dilemma.

Last edited by Wizbang; 10-18-2020 at 05:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,121 Likes on 936 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Nice fix