8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2012 civic transmission problem. Please help!

Old 11-23-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OhioIsOnFire1 is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 civic transmission problem. Please help!

Not sure if this is the right place but any help would be appreciated. I have a 2012 civic sedan with an automatic tranny. Got the car as a gift. Took it to the dealership cause the drivers side window wouldnt roll down. they informed me my transmission fluid had been overfilled but wasnt experiencing any issues with the tranny. So i got the oil changed ect. On the way home i had a bottle of TrannyHoney in the trunk, an additive so i put it in and about a half mile from home the transmission slips while in drive going up a hill and just revs like crazy. It clunks a bit and i barely make it home. I took it back around the block and experienced some tugging and jerking. Put it in reverse and it wont even go. so after several minutes of putting it in and out of gear it finally reverses so i can park it. Anyone have any clue? did i mess something up by adding the stuff? Also got " cvheck transmission system" but it went away. It will go into gear sometimes. thank you for any suggestions. The car had been running smooth all day until I added that stuff. Can I drain some fluid and save it?
Old 11-23-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 civic transmission problem. Please help!

they informed me my transmission fluid had been overfilled
How many miles are on this car?
Did you verify their claim?

i had a bottle of TrannyHoney in the trunk, an additive
1) Now why in the hell would anyone just have something like this in the trunk of their car?

2) The trans was already overfilled, now you want to add even more fluid to it?

3) If you had ZERO issues with the trans, as you claim, what in the hell made you decide to add this stuff?

did i mess something up by adding the stuff?
1+1+1=3

Can I drain some fluid and save it?
Maybe, but I wouldn't stop there.
Do you know how to check the fluid level? (It's explained in the handy owners manual on page 263. Follow the instructions. Hondas' transmissions are not checked in the same manner as any other.)

How far overfilled is it?
Too much fluid can be just as bad as too little.

You now have contaminated fluid as far as I'm concerned.
It would get multiple drain and fill sessions, using the factory recommended procedure and factory recommended ATF DW-1 fluid. That's a CASE of fluid. Ending at the correct fill level. Then drive it and see if it is damaged.

If the trans got water in it when the car was flooded, there could be serious problems. Overfilling might have been a clue that someone has touched it before you.

Last edited by ezone; 11-24-2013 at 11:15 AM.