8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

AC Runs hot during acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
AC Runs hot during acceleration?

So not a big deal, doesn't bother me too much, but my AC will run hot when I accelerate. The harder I accelerate the hotter it blows.
Is this normal, or is there something wrong?
Again, not a biggie...usually I don't accelerate fast enough to even notice, but I'm still curious.

Other than that, AC runs pretty normal, think I might be due for some more refrigerant though, as the AC doesn't feel as cold as it used to(It's a 2006 LX Sedan)
Old 07-07-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AC Runs hot during acceleration?

It's normal. The compressor is disengaged during rapid acceleration, it then is turned back on when you get your toes out of the radiator.

There IS a software update that improves how this works, but the function is still part of the design and cannot be completely eliminated. Read this link: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/th...52_a07-062.pdf

You would need to see your Honda/Acura dealership to do the software update, if it has not already been updated for some other reason recently.

C&P from that link:
SYMPTOM The A/C cools poorly during hard acceleration under 20 mph. This symptom is usually noticed in stop-and- go traffic.
PROBABLE CAUSE When accelerating at speeds below 20 mph with the accelerator pedal more than halfway down, the ECM/ PCM turns off the A/C compressor

NOTE: The software update minimizes the symptom, but it does not completely eliminate it. The customer can improve A/C performance by accelerating from speeds below 20 mph with the accelerator pedal less than halfway down.

You don't need more refrigerant unless there is a problem that allowed some of it to leak out, and if you have a leak then it needs fixed before recharging. It is awful easy to charge it wrong and cause worse cooling than you started with. I'd say to have the software update done first, then see how it goes.
Old 08-29-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9524tee is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate how mine clicks on and off constantly. It would be so much colder if it were engaged like 10% more of the time. It wouldn't freeze up either.
Old 01-12-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zigg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

First post!!!!

Running into similar issue with my wife's '06 LXi.

Except, the AC will stop working after driving for long periods of time. We found out the hard way driving from Michigan to Georgia in August :-( Stopped for a break and it was working again... but after about 50 miles it started to blow hot, then nothing at all.

Posting now, because she is having the opposite affect this winter. Takes a really long time for heat to produce anything.

Thoughts?
Old 01-12-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zigg
Hello all,

First post!!!!

Running into similar issue with my wife's '06 LXi.

Except, the AC will stop working after driving for long periods of time. We found out the hard way driving from Michigan to Georgia in August :-( Stopped for a break and it was working again... but after about 50 miles it started to blow hot, then nothing at all.
Hi there and welcome.

First for the AC problem, there have been 2 main possible causes that I have encountered.
1) is the clutch relay, and
2) is any of a few issues with the compressor clutch itself.
EDIT: Add engine overheat to the list.

But this should be a completely separate problem from your heater complaint now.
EDIT: Unless it was overheating due to loss of coolant, that could kill heater operation too.
Posting now, because she is having the opposite affect this winter. Takes a really long time for heat to produce anything.
Unusually long, like a longer time than it took to warm up last winter when it was just as cold?

Does it ever produce good heat if you drive long enough, or does it just blow lukewarm air all day?

A) See if the radiator is low on antifreeze....
B) Check the antifreeze concentration in the radiator
C) See if you have a thermostat problem--stuck open or opens too early.
A scanner that can read engine coolant temperature would be great.

Any codes in the computer (maybe a P0128)?

Last edited by ezone; 01-13-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Don't know where you live but on the day my city hit 5 degrees with -20 wind chill it took over half an hour to get heat( started the car, then left it idling while I ate breakfast, still wasn't warm when i got in the car, got heat halfway to work :/ )

It's a 4 cylinder, not as quick to warm up as a v6 or v8.