8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Siphoning gas out w/ fuel lines and fuel relay jump

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flamehazeist is an unknown quantity at this point
Siphoning gas out w/ fuel lines and fuel relay jump

Hello,

I watched a video on youtube ''/watch?v=0WRYOv80DZs'' that shows you how to siphon gas out through the fuel lines with a fuel relay jump (shorting pins #87 and #30). I would like to be able to do the same with my car, but I have no idea where the fuel lines are. I have taken some pictures of my car, so your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

http://postimg.org/image/i9l7h4km3/
I circled the three spots that I think are the fuel lines, but I'm not sure at all.

http://postimg.org/image/5fn5ns76j/
An alternate view for the red circled part.

I also need help locating the fuel relay. After some research, I believe the main relay on a Civic is the equivalent to a fuel relay. So, I need help locating the main relay on the following pictures.

http://postimg.org/image/7lhgiaamz/
http://postimg.org/image/ekvihnal7/

I've checked a relay (one of the big ones on top-right) and I don't seem to see any numbers under them. So, I would also need help locating the two pins that I need to short.

Thank you for your much needed help.

Last edited by flamehazeist; 07-04-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-04-2013
Registered!!

Re: Siphoning gas out w/ fuel lines and fuel relay jump

UPDATE:

I just found what seems to be the fuel rail with a fuel line going into it behind the engine. In the following picture, the fuel rail (red) is covered by a plastic cover retained with rubber grommets and the fuel hose (green) is going into it. Can anyone confirm my observations?

http://s12.postimg.org/lk5w64tbh/IMG_0249.jpg
picture of fuel rail+fuel hose

Also, I can't seem to locate the fuel return line. Can someone tell me where it is or if the car even has one?

I've had a look into the fuse panel under the steering wheel and I found the fuel pump relay. However, when I connect it to another relay with power, the fuel pump engages for 2 seconds before shutting down. How do I make it so that it always runs like in the video?

http://s12.postimg.org/7f034bka5/IMG_0253.jpg
diagram of fuse panel

http://s12.postimg.org/3su9rodwt/IMG_0259.jpg
picture of fuse panel

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What is the reason you think you need to pump the gas out of your tank?

http://s12.postimg.org/lk5w64tbh/IMG_0249.jpg
Green circle is the fuel line.
There is no return line.

The pump relay is not in the engine compartment.

I have NO IDEA what year or version your car is...so I'm gonna take a wild guess. I looked up an 06.

PGM-FI Main Relay #2 is the one that controls the fuel pump. It's somewhere in the underdash fusebox.

How about lifting the back seat and just applying battery power to the appropriate pump wire there?
Old 07-05-2013
Registered!!

Sorry, it's a coupe 2006 LX 1.8l.

The reason I need to is I need a reference before I make my way to the junkyard to retrieve fuel from a trashed 96' Toyota Tercel. Also, it could always be useful in the future knowing how to do it in my own car.

I tried removing the screws holding the panel below the steering wheel to access the PGM-FI main relay and it was a pain in the ***... and I don't feel like going to buy a screwdriver socket, so that is out of the question... for now anyway.

The back seat is a really good idea. Do you have an idea which one is the pump wire or how to find out which one it is in the picture below? Also, how would I ''apply battery power'' to it? I took the picture from youtube ''/watch?v=9SkiLx8-rI4'', so I haven't checked out my rear seats yet, but the wires seem to be covered... so how would I go about to uncover them?

http://s16.postimg.org/xecroc8qt/car.jpg
back seat picture

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Oh it's kind of a pain in the butt and there are a few differences between coupe and sedan. The yellow circle in the pic, follow that wire up behind the cushion into the trunk, you'd have to fold the seatbacks down and find and remove the 2 small covers to expose the tank unit wiring. The instructions actually say to remove the seatbacks to get the cover plates and pump out and I can't tell you if YOU can get around this or not (I know I have in the past, but not sure if you can). I have to look at each car and see what I can access each time. Some bending may be possible since you aren't trying to remove the pump.

The easier way for me would be to remove the pump relay, jumper terminals 1&2 in the relay socket and turn the key on.

Or use the HDS scanner to activate the pump through the PCM.
Old 07-05-2013
Registered!!

Cool Re: Siphoning gas out w/ fuel lines and fuel relay jump

By terminals 1 and 2, do you mean IG1 P/W and FUEL PUMP in the fuse diagram below? If that is the case, I might as well avoid getting cooked inside the car.

http://s12.postimg.org/7f034bka5/IMG_0253.jpg
fuse diagram
Old 07-05-2013

You showed a fuse diagram, that has almost nothing to do with accomplishing your task. The PGMFI MAIN relay #2 is at the very top of the fuse box, center position....you will need to pull off the lower (knee) panel of the dash to find it. You would need to locate the correct relay, pull it out of the box, and jumper the appropriate terminals in the relay socket.

Here's a pic of a relay socket, using a paper clip to jump the terminals of the switched side of the relay, effectively bypassing the relay. It does not matter that this is not the fusebox of any Civic, the relays basically all work the same way. NOTE: If you don't know what you are doing, don't even try it. You can cause expensive damage if you jumper the wrong things. [img]https://i.imgur.com/O7csyON.jpg[/img] For more info on relay basics and more, explore the site http://www.the12volt.com/

EDIT I have no idea why that pic didn't open up...
Old 07-05-2013
Registered!!

Sounds simple. Time to buy a screwdriver socket.

Just one more question: the relays under the dash don't happen to have a diagram like their fuse counterparts, do they?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2013

The knee panel of the dash just yanks out, no tools needed IIRC.
The relays in the dash fusebox are not labeled for the consumer. The service manual is the only place where I know I can find that info.
Old 07-06-2013
Registered!!

Wait... you mean it is in the center of the dash? As in somewhere below the CD player?

I looked up the internet and found a relay diagram for the under-hood. I can see PGM-FI Main Relay 1... would jumping that relay accomplish the same thing as jumping the PGM-FI Main Relay 2? Or are they completely different things?

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/Ho...024155_box.gif
under-hood relay diagram
Old 07-06-2013

Originally Posted by flamehazeist
Wait... you mean it is in the center of the dash? As in somewhere below the CD player?
Did I say anything like that? No.

Is there some confusion as to what I called a knee panel? It's the drivers dash lower cover. You have to pull it off to access the top half of the fusebox.

No screws involved at all.
I looked up the internet and found a relay diagram for the under-hood. I can see PGM-FI Main Relay 1... would jumping that relay accomplish the same thing as jumping the PGM-FI Main Relay 2? Or are they completely different things? http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/Ho...024155_box.gif under-hood relay diagram
There is only one relay that operates the fuel pump. Even though they may look about the same, every other relay in the car is completely irrelevant. Reread my previous replies.
Old 07-30-2013
Registered!!

About the Honda Civic coupe 2006, it has 2 screws. I probably won't be messing with the car's electrical components anymore (not after I got a check engine light after trying to jump the fuel pump's fuse anyway. Thank God it cleared up after driving around for a bit.). That is unless I can get a relay diagram for my car, which I probably won't as it costs 30$ for the Honda manual....I intend to do a DIY in the future, but I guess it will be with the backseat route. Still, before that, I first need to know exactly how to jump the fuel pump power line there. Is there a power line nearby from which I can borrow power? What voltage does it use? I really need details here, as I am utterly clueless in that regard.Thanks.
Old 07-30-2013

If you are going to try to connect to the pump connector on top of the tank behind the back seat, I would say to supply positive 12v using a long jumper wire, I would wire it at the pump then run the wire out to the car battery positive terminal. Be careful it can spark so don't blow yourself up!

The pump already has the negative so you don't need to run a wire for that part....if you are just tapping into the wire without unplugging the connector.

My diagram shows a 4 wire connector at the tank unit, the green wire is positive for the pump. Black is negative for the pump.

HTH
Old 08-02-2013
Registered!!

Can I use any wire gauge? I don't really have a long ''jumper'' (jump dead car battery) wire. What about if I rig together batteries? Would I have sufficient amperage to power it up?
Old 08-02-2013

I did not mean jumper cables for starting a car with a dead battery.
I meant a single wire for the purpose of completing (jumpering) a circuit.

The pump only draws around 7 amps IIRC. 16-18 ga should be sufficient IMO. Speaker wire would work. Use the car battery and a long wire.

Wait---LOOK at the wire size used by the factory when you get the access cover off.....or look at the wire sizes inside the harness bundle leading to it under the lower cushion.
Old 08-03-2013
Registered!!

Well, thanks for the clarifications. Just one more question: is a special tool required to remove the fuel line from the fuel rail? It's kind of tight to reach in there, so help would be much appreciated.
Old 08-03-2013

No special tool. There is a safety cover to remove if you are disconnecting it in the engine compartment, then disconnect the line. At the fuel tank end there is no safety cover.

Simply squeeze the ears of the colored plastic retainer so the line can slide off of it. I can usually do this with 2 fingers if there is enough room, otherwise I may use some needlenose pliers.

This how-to video shows the style used on your car, skip to 1 minute 31 seconds: [autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1416& transactionid=1375531878-7123914048&posted_by=_www.civicforums.com&youtube_ video_id=zfuYTjftkDo[/autostream]
Old 08-03-2013
Registered!!

Well, I guess I'm all set for the DIY now. Thanks for your help.