8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2009 Honda Civic Battery Drain - AC Relay?

Old 06-02-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
moorejazz is an unknown quantity at this point
2009 Honda Civic Battery Drain - AC Relay?

I have a 2009 Honda Certified Used Civic with just over 36,000 miles. Over night my battery drained and wouldn't start. Hooked up battery to a charger and charged for about 90 minutes. Car started, with an occasional rough idle. After less than five minutes of running at idle, a hissing sound and vapor discharge was emitted from the area around the alternator and a/c compressor.

Is this the result of a faulty a/c relay remaining open and draining my battery? And, if so, is this something that is covered under my non-powertrain warranty?

James
Old 06-02-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2009 Honda Civic Battery Drain - AC Relay?

Yes it sounds typical of the stuck relay.
No, it is not covered after the 3/36 warranty by the factory.

An original replacement is like about $10. The updated replacement is about $26. (I did not verify)

The AC should have the high pressure relief valve replaced and the system recharged. The relief valve was on backorder as of Friday when I needed to order one.
Old 06-02-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It would PROBABLY be covered by the Honda Certified Warranty though.
You need to ask your dealer.
Old 05-14-2014
Registered!!

RadioE is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I have this exact problem. Im about to order a new relay. Can you or someone else share with me the part number for the high pressure relief valve?

Thank you
Old 05-14-2014

Originally Posted by RadioE
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I have this exact problem. Im about to order a new relay. Can you or someone else share with me the part number for the high pressure relief valve?

Thank you
Has yours actually vented through the relief valve?

What year is your car? trim?
BRB
Old 05-14-2014

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...%29+%281.8L%29

For an 09 Civic 1.8 engine, I show (item #1) part # 38801-PDF-E02 for the high pressure safety relief valve.

Updated relay # 39794-SDA-A05

You can use the website linked above to check prices.

HTH
Old 05-15-2014
Registered!!

RadioE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Has yours actually vented through the relief valve?

What year is your car? trim?
BRB
Its a 2009 DX sedan. It did the exact "purge" as described by OP. Im not exactly sure if it came out of the relief valve but I can see freon around the compressor leading me to believe I need to replace the relief valve.

Question, when replacing the valve do I need to clear the system of any freon or oil first or can I just replace the part and recharge the system after?
Old 05-15-2014

Originally Posted by RadioE
Its a 2009 DX sedan. It did the exact "purge" as described by OP. Im not exactly sure if it came out of the relief valve but I can see freon around the compressor leading me to believe I need to replace the relief valve.

Question, when replacing the valve do I need to clear the system of any freon or oil first or can I just replace the part and recharge the system after?
Ok, yes the freon needs completely removed from the system (recovery machine) before replacing the relief valve. Then evacuate and recharge the system with the correct amount of freon as measured by weight.

HTH
Old 04-13-2017
Registered!!

Leonardo Cal is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...%29+%281.8L%29

For an 09 Civic 1.8 engine, I show (item #1) part # 38801-PDF-E02 for the high pressure safety relief valve.

Updated relay # 39794-SDA-A05

You can use the website linked above to check prices.

HTH
ezone,
I have a 2009 EX Coupe. I have to say I thank you for your expertise!! I found this thread and the other one with you not having your morning coffee very entertaining.
I took the relay out to go to the dealer to get the updated one which I hope they have and the valve.

Is it common that the AC blows a weird smell after it has purged? Read somewhere the smell "changes" when the refrigerant is low.

Again, if you are still around, thanks for the info. Saved me a whole lot of headaches and money!
Old 04-13-2017

Originally Posted by Leonardo Cal

Is it common that the AC blows a weird smell after it has purged? Read somewhere the smell "changes" when the refrigerant is low.
If the system burped (a small cloud) to relieve the excess pressure and you got your nose in the cloud of refrigerant that was released into the air, the oil vapor mixed with the stuff DOES stink (I think it smells kinda like a horse stable).

Improved relay will have the brand name Mitsuba on the shell. Make sure they didn't give you another Omron brand.
Old 04-13-2017
Registered!!

If the system burped (a small cloud) to relieve the excess pressure and you got your nose in the cloud of refrigerant that was released into the air, the oil vapor mixed with the stuff DOES stink (I think it smells kinda like a horse stable).
It does. But the smell comes from the vents.

Improved relay will have the brand name Mitsuba on the shell. Make sure they didn't give you another Omron brand.
That's the one I got but because I couldn't wait as it's hot as hell down here in Orlando, I had to die at the stealership for $29.44

The valve I'll get online at your link provided or Collage Hills.
Old 04-13-2017

But the smell comes from the vents.
What does your AC smell complaint smell like? Roses? Poop? Freon? Dead mice? Engine oil burning? Plastic bag stuck to the exhaust pipe?

Does recirculate on or off change the odor?

Ok my short answer would be no because the AC system is sealed (unless the freon leak made its way to the interior of the car), the only thing I think you might smell different is the freon/oil that may still be coating things near the discharged area in the engine compartment, or any of the cloud that may have been sucked into the HVAC intake area you would smell....and the oil residue can stink for quite a while.

Long answer is maybe yes, but only because a weak AC system might not be able to dry the air passing through the evaporator core as efficiently as it would with a full charge of refrigerant, you may notice a difference in the air temps and humidity in the air coming out of the vents.....

Other factors might be a dirty cabin filter causing foul odors, mold and mildew in the HVAC housings, rodents (our shop seems to get a lot of mouse nest evidence along with damage from the critters, and dead ones) odors in the engine compartment finding their way into the HVAC air intake area.
Old 04-14-2017
Registered!!

Thanks!
After my post I washed the engine compartment and went for a ride and all traces of the frenon like smell is gone.

Surprised this issue isn't more known so thanks for your help!
There should be a sticky somewhere with your comment at the bottom that if you still understand, to read from top again. Lol